Tire to wide for rim?

ChaosSaint

so i scored these 30x9.5 15r ProComp Mud Terrains for 200 bones... prolly have 90% tread still on them and are in really good shape, i think i made out alright on them? any ways... A friend of mine offered his old set of yota rims for free to put them on but they are 6" by 15r, tested them and they mount on fine. I'm pretty sure that a 9.5" tire is rated to go on a 6.5" - 8" wide rim; so, should I take the free rims and put the muds on them anyway? - if i do this then I would keep my steel wheels with street tires which would be nice. or do u guys think I should put the muds on my stock rims?

and i have a connection to get them mounted and balanced for free so im not worried about cost. input appreciated!

also, anyone have these tires before? how do they preform?

i've never had a set of muds before so im pretty stoked

potential yota steel rims

th_stl69323u.jpg

waiting to be mounted...

th_0812091810.jpg

mocked up just for giggles

th_0812091801.jpg

I had a set of 31x10.5 BFG AT's mounted on the stock Nissan chrome steel wheels (15x6) and had no problems, you should be fine with the combo you have :aok:

I have this combo right now and it seems fine as well.

I have 32x11.5 BFG A/T tires on 15x6" stock chrome Pathy wheels. A narrow wheel will hold a bead better when aired down. I have had normal tire wear and handling on that setup. I guess what really matters is the sidewall and number of radial plies.

I prefer to stay inside of the recommended rim width. I had 31x10.5" on 6" rims and they wore a little odd but that was 1" of difference, not .5"

I'm pretty sure that a 9.5" tire is rated to go on a 6.5" - 8" wide rim;

Different manufacturers may state slightly different width recommendations. What you should do is look those tires up and know for certain first... ;)

B