Subframe drop for R50

shift220

I doubt its the drive shaft, since it is so short and all. It might be your CV. OR it could be your alignment came off. Thats always a possibility. i would check your steering rack bushing (drivers side) to start with.

I'm gonna look at the steering situation in the next few weeks to see if anything can be done about the angle post-SFD.

Jose

Well another addition to the rear. I know it's not really significant to the SFD but I figure having all this information in the same place will help out better.

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

I dropped the panhard bar 3.75" (the amount I raised the back). I left some material below incase I ever want to drop it even more. After the lift, the rear end felt like it was wandering on the highway. It gave me that bad gut feeling like the rear end wants spin out when i'm going 120 km/h. Now it feels just like stock and handles much better :aok:

Awesome man!! And yes, this would pertain to the SFD (you did have to do it because of the SFD right? So it should be a part of the "SFD Kit"!)

Now, Have you adjusted the LSV? Or does your braking feel the same, so there's no need?

Jose

p.s. Thanks for being the guinea pig for us all in the nice bad ass sticky!!

I'm not really sure about the LSV. Braking still feels like stock (except the larger tires) at normal ride height. It would probably make a difference when i'm loaded down with 4 people, camping gear and a boat on the hitch but the brakes were barely adequate to begin with. Once winter is over, i'll probably look into doing a rear disc brake conversion (titan :sly: ) ...but that's a whole other thread.

And actually on that same kind of note, i'm really surprised how I don't feel like I lost to much pep out of the engine. I'm guessing my SE has the higher ratio gears which really helps.

I hope to see some more SFDs in the near future!

I'm not really sure about the LSV. Braking still feels like stock (except the larger tires) at normal ride height. It would probably make a difference when i'm loaded down with 4 people, camping gear and a boat on the hitch but the brakes were barely adequate to begin with. Once winter is over, i'll probably look into doing a rear disc brake conversion (titan :sly: ) ...but that's a whole other thread.

And actually on that same kind of note, i'm really surprised how I don't feel like I lost to much pep out of the engine. I'm guessing my SE has the higher ratio gears which really helps.

I hope to see some more SFDs in the near future!

Keep us posted on plans to do a Titan rear disc conversion. I tinkered with that idea last fall but was shot down for it being "too hard to do." F*ck that noise... :lol:

You're running ~32" tires so with the SE gears (4.636:1) you should still have considerable response from the engine.

Any plans to produce more SFDs? ;)

This looks awesome. I want an r50 now!

Btw for the rear discs could you not steal a set off a WD21 pathfinder maybe? Since the rear axles are the same (pretty sure) it should fit, right?

Keep us posted on plans to do a Titan rear disc conversion. I tinkered with that idea last fall but was shot down for it being "too hard to do." F*ck that noise... :lol:

You're running ~32" tires so with the SE gears (4.636:1) you should still have considerable response from the engine.

Any plans to produce more SFDs? ;)

Will do. The nice part is having access to Titan I can get measurements off of.

As for more SFD's "kits", PM me if you seriously want one and we'll talk.

Btw for the rear discs could you not steal a set off a WD21 pathfinder maybe? Since the rear axles are the same (pretty sure) it should fit, right?

That would probably be the simplest way, but I'm not so sure it would be an upgrade ;) The rear drums are actually quite large on the R50 but Titan rear brakes would be a very nice improvement over stock.

Will do. The nice part is having access to Titan I can get measurements off of.

As for more SFD's "kits", PM me if you seriously want one and we'll talk.

PM sent.

That would probably be the simplest way, but I'm not so sure it would be an upgrade ;) The rear drums are actually quite large on the R50 but Titan rear brakes would be a very nice improvement over stock.

Yeah, and not only that, Brembo makes a kit for the Titan! :aok:

Man def post up a thread if you do decide to do a disc brake swap!! And also thanks for the drop panhard rod bracket pic. Makes it easier for me to fab one up since im also most likely going to be making my engine lift blocks as well..........VEATER :ar15:

Man def post up a thread if you do decide to do a disc brake swap!! And also thanks for the drop panhard rod bracket pic. Makes it easier for me to fab one up since im also most likely going to be making my engine lift blocks as well..........VEATER :ar15:

Yeah, I hear you, Andrew. Lame deals!!

The Titan break swap is definitely a great idea. Nice to see more fellow Canadians showing R50 custom fabrication some love. :D

Won't work. The seals are different sizes, axles have different splines, and the R50 drums have more torque than the WD21 Discs do anyway. I tinkered with this idea a few months back. No go. And on that note Patrol rear brakes won't work either for the same exact reasons as the WD21. Although I think putting Patrol brakes on a WD21 might work. At the very least they both have 31 spline axles.

Jose

So I am new to the forum and love how you detailed the SFD, a couple questions.... Did you have to replace your 4 links? What about the brake lines and drive shaft? Lastly I have a friend who owns a CNC machine shop and is a certified welder who wants to help me make this lift, I was wondering if you have a file put together with all the specifications/pictures that you could email me at terryhenryjr@aol.com. You have a very nice looking truck.

So I am new to the forum and love how you detailed the SFD, a couple questions.... Did you have to replace your 4 links? What about the brake lines and drive shaft? Lastly I have a friend who owns a CNC machine shop and is a certified welder who wants to help me make this lift, I was wondering if you have a file put together with all the specifications/pictures that you could email me at terryhenryjr@aol.com. You have a very nice looking truck.

Thanks!

I didn't replace the links in the back, but I will sometime in the future. The bushings are very soft and I can easily move the bars with my hands. I will probably make some adjustable ones to get the pinion angle back in spec.

You will need a new brake line in the back, front ones were ok for 3.5" but no higher. Driveshaft (front and back) are fine at 3.75" lift, no need to extend. I don't have all the information in one file, but I do have some AutoCAD files. Everything you should need is posted up :aok:

I didn't have to use limiter straps because the link bars hit the mount before the shock/spring fully extends. As for the spacers, I have no problems with them but they do limit upward travel compared to using longer springs. So flex might be a little less then stock, but the larger tires made the biggest difference.

PMed you about the kit.

I didn't have to use limiter straps because the link bars hit the mount before the shock/spring fully extends. As for the spacers, I have no problems with them but they do limit upward travel compared to using longer springs. So flex might be a little less then stock, but the larger tires made the biggest difference.

PMed you about the kit.

What kind of springs could I use instead of the spacers?

Jeep XJ lift coils or Ford F250 coils should work, depends on what length you get. If im not mistaken the 3in lift coils from an xj should work, for a 4in sfd

all I can find is front coils from a XJ, is this what you are talking about?

all I can find is front coils from a XJ, is this what you are talking about?

Yes those are them, I know a bit of modification is needed to fit those springs, and I have to try and figure out from Max what specifically that is. Quite frankly what you should do, is check out this thread.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25075

Thunderbolt (David) has a SFD installed already and he is looking to get some custom coils made, maybe you should send him a PM and try and collaberate, and do one order for 4 coils so it would be more worth the while for the company who makes the coils. Just my two cents.

Now, if I bump my Subframe/Engine blocks and Strut spacers up to 2.5"x4" will that effect anything really? I'll have make the steering extension a bit longer of course, but is there anything else that would some up, that would be more work then its worth? Its just that my Fab guy has tons of 4" rectangle tube laying around, its just that much easier for him to make the blocks (if he hasn't already made them up)

I am actually using 2.5"x4" for the front which I have to get custom made because they only make 2"x4" and 3"x4" and im using the 3"x4" for the rear of my SFD, where it will take on more of the stress; it shouldn't effect anything except i recomend using the 3"x4" for the rear but that is just me, everyone is different. look at the PM i sent you.....

Oh ok, and 2x4 is too narrow for the front of the subframe? Could you use, 3x4 all around or would it not fit? I'm going over to my Fab guy's place tonight. I'll look to see what he's got and what I need to order. If he has the stuff lying around his shop he'll pretty much just give it to me.

Oh ok, and 2x4 is too narrow for the front of the subframe? Could you use, 3x4 all around or would it not fit? I'm going over to my Fab guy's place tonight. I'll look to see what he's got and what I need to order. If he has the stuff lying around his shop he'll pretty much just give it to me.

I dont believe it is to narrow for the subframe I just made it wider for the extra support and strength...... rectangular tubing is pretty easy to make; your fab guy should be able to make you some unless he has some already laying around.....

• 3 weeks later...

Ok dudes, I need you help!

I got the blocks all in place and tightened up... and what do I see hangin out on my creeper? the DS engine mount block. Anyone have any bright idears that will keep me from lowering the subframe again? Lifting the engine a touch?

So far I've tried swearing at it really loud... didn't do much