Subframe drop for R50

shift220

Ok so I raised the motor nice and slow, installed the last effin spacer block. Now I'm looking at doing my steering extension. I laid on the floor for a good 45 mins weighing the Pros and Cons of turning the steering rack. I'm gonna do it. I took the DS bracket off to make a new one, I'll let you dudes know how it goes.

It doesn't look like it. The wrack only has that "egg" shape on the top. I'm only turning it about 20 degrees to line up with the part of the steering shaft that has to be lengthened. so the Side of the steering rack thats touching the subframe is the same shape it was before. The only problem I can see running into, is the bolt going back in for the top of the bracket. The one hard-line going into the rack is probably going to be in the way. I'll post pics when I get the new bracket back... Tomorrow!

I'll take a pic tonight. When its on the rack, with the shaft extended it can't line up to the rubber steering link. one side of the extension (where it bolts in) but the other side is off by 1/4". It would need a wedge or something to take up the space. But it would seriously bind when turning if you do that. But rotating it wasn't a total waste. Now the angles are straighter

• 2 weeks later...

So here it is in most of its glory(minus the bigger tires)! It doesn't look as big anymore to me. The front end is a bit low. I have to put the new struts in with the insulators/bushings on top. I just threw the old ones in to get it out of the garage.

CIMG0463.jpg

The steering. I had to use the Ujoint method to get it linked up. I just bought a 3/4" Ujoint and welded it up to the factory one.

CIMG0465.jpg

Panhard Drop. 2x4" tube with 3/8" plate. dropped 4"

CIMG0468-1.jpg

Looks absolutely great man. Do a little grinding to get that 2" x 4" tube up in the panhard bar slot? ;) Definitely a lot easier to make then mine.

Any pics of the steering rack? I'd like to rotate mine as well.

Yeah I had to grind and hammer the thing into submission. I'll take some pics of the rack. Its really easy to do. Just remove the stock carriers or brackets, rotate it to where you want it, Use a piece of stiff (but flexible) wire to get the inside shape of the angles you want, then cut the original bracket, weld a piece and grind...

• 2 weeks later...

What size tires do you have in those pictures? And what size do you plan on going to? Is it a 4" SFD plus a 2" suspension lift? It looks great!

I just got my 4" SFD kit from Shift220 and can't wait to install it.

Later,

Kevin

4" SFD, 2" AC coils (front) and those are Mickey Thompson's best attempt at a 31 (29.5" actual). I'm going to 35's as soon as I can!

Good on ya getting the kit from him! He's the one I took all the info from, so he knows what he's doing.. and if he doesn't, he fakes it really well.

Hahaha!!! He is a great guy to deal with. I just received the kit from him the other day and it looks professional!!! I am planning on going with 305/70/16's BF Goodrich M/T (33.1 inches) but am wondering if 315/75/16's BF Goodrich M/T (34.8 inches) would look and work better with the 6 inches of lift. What do you think I should go with between the two? Of course I would love to go with the bigger tires but I'm wondering if they will clear the wheel wells for offroading.

Later,

Kevin

:sssh:

...I found a great way to rotate the steering rack using the stock bracket and a hammer. Thanks for the tip on using wire to get the shape! No cutting, grinding or welding required either :D

I'm actually getting the second of the two BFG KM's... So I'll let you know what you need to cut to fit them in. Its just a matter of gearing once you get them to stop rubbing. Thats next on my list! Yeah the Wire idea worked well, the problem was, that was a loose fitment. So I had to weld a piece of bar inside to tighten it up on the bushing. But the shape was bang on!

I'm actually getting the second of the two BFG KM's... So I'll let you know what you need to cut to fit them in. Its just a matter of gearing once you get them to stop rubbing. Thats next on my list! Yeah the Wire idea worked well, the problem was, that was a loose fitment. So I had to weld a piece of bar inside to tighten it up on the bushing. But the shape was bang on!

What shocks did you end up useing?