Alignment post-AC lift

AlumniCU

I've installed the 2" AC springs and KYB-GR2 struts on my 97 Pathy. I had a shop install the AC camber adjustment bolts and set the alignment. The shop told me the bolts helped but that the alignment was still a little off. With the naked eye, you can see they still come in a little. \--/

Looking at the suspension, it's not clear to me where the bolts are installed, or if there's anything that I can do until the springs settle a little.

Where are the bolts installed? Is it possible to get a good alignment when the springs are new? Is there anything I can do to get a better alignment before I get new tires?

Thanks all for the support as I've gone through this project.

Edited by AlumniCU

the springs will settle after a few months so dont worry. if its still a problem, you can drill the holes out a little bit but i'd wait for the springs to settle before i did that

A good alignement shop should be able without problem to make it perfectly aligned. One set of bolts in the lower hole where the strut sits was all needed to make it work... The guy aligning it should be used to work with these bolts... At worse, 2 bolts per side should do the job... If it's still crooked, go to another place...really.... waiting will only screw up your tires...

how many bolts do you have installed? 2 or 4 of them?

Two. Okay, I think I get it - they install in the two lower holes on the strut and have a smaller diameter to give more play in alligning the strut. Is that correct? So two on each side give you maximum opportunity to angle.

Edited by AlumniCU

x5 on the comments above. Positive camber has been known to occur after the AC springs are installed. Happened to me, too. I wouldn't worry about it. But DEFINITELY get it aligned at a good shop. I wasted $69 at Pep Boys. Took it to a stealership and it came out very close to straight. You don't have to go to a stealer, but definitely a good shop.

Edited by GoPathyGo

Two. Okay, I think I get it - they install in the two lower holes on the strut and have a smaller diameter to give more play in alligning the strut. Is that correct? So two on each side give you maximum opportunity to angle.

You're right..Here's a good drawing that is self explanatory...

camber-bolts.jpg

can you do this yourself? Because my passenger tire is cupping like a mofo, and I really dont want to pay for it to get aligned.

I guess you could do it by eye or using a 'niveau' (french word for a carpenter tool with a bubble,etc.. ) but for the price my tires cost me, I would not risk it.... just my 2 cents..

But if your tires have already started to cup, then I guess you have nothing to lose....

Thanks to all that replied - very helpful.

I have installed two AC camber bolts, one each side. Where's the best place to get two more, and is there any difference between bolts available from different suppliers?

Thanks again!

I guess you could do it by eye or using a 'niveau' (french word for a carpenter tool with a bubble,etc.. ) but for the price my tires cost me, I would not risk it.... just my 2 cents..

But if your tires have already started to cup, then I guess you have nothing to lose....

Yeah nobody ever buy michelin cross terrain tires, cause they wear like BUTTER. They dont even have enough tread to pass inspection, and they only have 27k on them!!!!!!! The cup like a mofo also. Im not gettin new tires til I get on my SFD tho, so im going to try and do an alignment myself.

can you do this yourself? Because my passenger tire is cupping like a mofo, and I really dont want to pay for it to get aligned.

Cupping isn't caused by improper camber, it's caused by improper toe angle, an out of balance wheel or a worn out strut or suspension bushing.

What kind of tires are you running, when was the last time they were balanced, and how long have you had your struts in?

Edited by XPLORx4

Cupping isn't caused by improper camber, it's caused by improper toe angle, an out of balance wheel or a worn out strut or suspension bushing.

What kind of tires are you running, when was the last time they were balanced, and how long have you had your struts in?

They are Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires. They were balanced when they were originally mounted which was about 1 year ago. The struts are KYB GR-2 which got put on with the lift in mid January One strut bearing was replaced when the stuts were installed, with a OEM replacement. But the funny thing is that thats the same side that the tire is cupping on. I also notice a bad steering wheel shake at highway speeds like 55-80 MPH its scarry, but the car still tracks straight, so idk wtf is up?

Meh im really not too too worried about it. Money right now is tight, and i need to save money for other things like gas. New tires and alignment and all that jazz will come post SFD. Until then I will just put up with it :D

Did the tire store that installed you tires include free lifetime balancing and rotation when you purchased them? Most of the good tire stores where I live offer this as standard.