YAY! Flooding problem might be fixed~

carwilef7

Hot start flooding problem - I don't want to jinx it, but I think I found the problem:

It had been intermittent for weeks, but the last couple of days it was happening on every start attempt made after a few minutes.

Googled for a while and kept running across people saying a bad coolant temperature sensor could cause this - not just Nissans, either, but lots of others too. This is the sensor the ECM uses to figure out engine temp so it can adjust timing, fuel, etc, not the sending unit for the temp gauge.

According to the FSM (found at www.pdftown.com), the resistance is supposed to be about 2K ohms at 68F and go lower as the coolant temp increases, for about 200 ohms at 194F. I checked mine cold (80F outside, middle of the day) and got 1.4K - reasonable. Checked it after running to operating temp, shutting off, and waiting 30 minutes, and I got 550 ohms - also reasonable, and the truck started fine.

Then, I ran about ten miles and checked the resistance after shutting it off for about 5 minutes. I was INSANELY higher than it should have been - 12 megs! Truck flooded right away on attempted start when it was that high. Waited another 30 minutes or so, leaving the meter hooked up to eliminate any probe contact issues, and it was back down to 500 ohms and the truck started perfectly.

Replaced the sensor - $23.99 at Autozone - and have had no issues at all since. That was this afternoon, so only a few hot starts, but I'm hoping that was the fix and will re-post if it turns out to be something else.

BTW, the FSM has lots more tech info than Haynes, but it contains few replacement steps - so ya kinda need 'em both.

Also, I have a meter that will go into the Meg ohm range - $30 from Sears. I doubt the average $10 meter from Wallyworld would show anything other than an error or overload - or it might give wildly changing values. It pays to invest in good diagnostic tools.

Edited by carwilef7

awesome. thanks for posting the solution. It now makes sense since the truck ECU adjusts the mixture and spark based on sensor readings (temp being one of them).

Thanks for the reply. I knew it had to be something stupid causing it to dump fuel all at once, but if it had not gone to consistent failure, I'd probably still be stumped. Hopefully, I can save some other people from spending days on end running in circles and pulling their hair out. No worries here, though, since I'm already bald. B)

So is it like a plug in sensor? Or does it require taking the cooling system apart?

It just screws into the upper radiator hose outlet on the engine. Takes a 19mm wrench. Put thread tape on the new one and have it ready to go in before you remove the old one and you'll only lose a tiny bit of coolant.

^x2!!

Thanks for the update/solution, I'm sure you will have helped quite a few people with this information!! :beer:

B

I say pay it forward. Drives me crazy when ppl post and post about a problem and never post the fix.

Hey, does your XE have the black plastic hub center caps? I'm missing a front one with the hole in the middle and can't find it anywhere. Nissan wants 50 bucks for it!

Yes, it does. $50?? That's insane!! I'll sell you one for $40+shipping...

JK :D

The ones I have do look used (weathered) but I'd bet it would just match your other one. I need to update the part out thread tonight, so make me an offer? Need anything else to throw in the box??

B

• 10 months later...

great now i'm getting this same nonsense

it started a while back when at first it would just flood slightly on a cold start when putting the pedal down and its progressively been getting worse

now i'm flooding almost every time i step on the gas when the engine is warm

its going to be until monday when i should get it changed and i got about 20 miles to drive tomorrow

hopefully this stupid bib doesn't cook my catalytic converter :headwall:

OK I just got the part from the dealership, it looks like this:

22630-WD21003.jpg

Can someone verify that this is the correct part?

That is a cylinder head temp sensor or an engine coolant temperature sensor(same thing)...Its definetely not the one for the gauge (That has 1 male end)

Edited by amo1dun

That part fits fine but unfortunately did nothing for me. :(

It runs just like it used to... Maybe ECU? MAF?

On second thought, it did kind of help, sometimes the truck would surge for no reason but it isn't doing that anymore after I replaced this sensor.

Edited by Tungsten

I just did mine recently and it was yellow

22630-WD21002.jpg

It probably looked like that, which is the 89 part number. I think those sensors were updated.

wd21_22630big.gif

That is what the old one looks like.

22630-WD21003.jpg

This is the later year part number but I think it can also be used with the VG30I. Note that it is equipped with a copper washer to provide a tight seal unlike the other two which require the use of thread sealant to prevent leaks.

Edited by Tungsten