No spark.....ECU?

GrimGreg

So as I mentioned in Poho, I had my 88 towed home after it died a mile up the road. I had driven to the gas station and filled up, then started it back up and drove about 50 feet out of the gas station and it died, coasted across the street to another gas station and tried to restart it, it fired up and then died again about 2 seconds later, then nothing. After checking various other things I pulled the coil wire off and put it near a ground to see if I had a spark when I turned the key, nothing. So, I got the tow home.

Next day I had my old coil (case cracked, but still worked) that I wrapped in 10 layers of electrical tape and plugged it in and still no spark. Today I went to try and check my codes and no light from the LEDs on the ECU.

So, is there a power lead to the ECU that is seperate from the main feed? I get all my dash lights, and the fuel pump spins up. I checked my fuses and nothing read specific for the ECU, though none appear to be blown either. Originally I was thinking my igniter was probably bad, but with no ECU lights, I'm wondering if it isn't a bigger issue. Fusable links are all intact, so it isn't that. I doubt it is the ECU it's self gone bad, just because of how it died.

I'm kinda stumped.

Doesn't sound like ECU is blown. It could definitely be a power problem to it, or the ground on it.

It also sounds like (aside from your troubleshooting) when my sending unit failed on my truck. Died suddenly, started back up with all lights, but wouldn't run, due to lack of fuel pressure.

Cool. Check the ground for the ECU. Maybe it's popped itself loose?

Are your dash lights turning on, and off as per normal when you put the key in the on position?

hot wire your coil to eliminate the posibility of the coil being bad.

run a hot wire directly to the power side of your coil from teh battery, try to start, if it starts, check wires.

if no start, coil. I know you said you changed it, but a cracked case could be arcing still.

I would bet a large sum that it is the power wires at the Positive terminal of your battery. Thoroughly check each wire that connects to the terminal. It is amazing how many spider off of there.

The EXACT same thing happened to me. I was just driving, and it quit. I found those wires were corroded. Once I re-terminated them it ran just fine.

that and check the + wire to the starter to make sure its not worn through and grounding out sucking all life out of the truck...I had that and it arced to the frame and melted my battery...that was some scary @!*%...esp since I ahd just driven 250 miles and still had 100 miles to go with snow/ice on the roads and it was getting dark...oh and a bitchy GF who was tired of being cold...

Let me know what ECU it is...I have one out of my 87 I could sale for cheap but I don't really think its the ECU

I would bet a large sum that it is the power wires at the Positive terminal of your battery. Thoroughly check each wire that connects to the terminal. It is amazing how many spider off of there.

The EXACT same thing happened to me. I was just driving, and it quit. I found those wires were corroded. Once I re-terminated them it ran just fine.

Yeah, after looking at the electrical diagrams it would appear that all the power goes from the fusable link to the ECU. So I'm begining to suspect that one or more of them, though looking intact, might be corroded or otherwise dead.

Yeah, after looking at the electrical diagrams it would appear that all the power goes from the fusable link to the ECU. So I'm begining to suspect that one or more of them, though looking intact, might be corroded or otherwise dead.

It could very well be. Mine looked fine, but once I sliced down the insulation to see the wire beneath, it was all corroded.

some times the fuse link will get corroded from the inside and the insulation on the outside is normal looking, try twisting or feeling through it to see if there i still wire in it. i would check the crank sensor signal i think its in the distributor...

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found the problem, I put my tester on the connections at the back of the ignition switch and there is power from the battery there, but when there should be power comming out to the ECU there is no voltage. Going to run the the yard and see if I can get a switch to swap in and hopefully fix it! :shrug:

Waitting t hear from my Step-Dad, he's a mechanic at a Nissan dealer (he works on the non-Nissans that come in), one of his tech buddies there has a bunch of spare parts, and is well versed in the VGs. My Step-Dad will probably come down here this comming weekend to help me give it a once over and find the problem.

Nope, didn't fix it.

Thinking maybe crank angle sensor now...?

That's what happened to mine also. Died, was able to start for 1 second and then nothing. But I was able to grab the c.a. sensor code.

That's what happened to mine also. Died, was able to start for 1 second and then nothing. But I was able to grab the c.a. sensor code.

Why I'm scared, though, I still can't even get the LEDs to flicker on my ECU..... :(

• 2 weeks later...

After further tinkering (and ditching the el cheapo Volt meter for a good one) I found that 1 of the 4 wires on the fusable link has only 1v coming through it, the other three test fine. :crossedwires: It so happens to be the wire that goes to the main relay, then on to the ECU.

Ditto the last 2 statements. I used a Sears multimeter to trouble shoot a clothes drier last year. I had used it for years before, but the old (crappy?) unit did not function well and caused me to waste a lot of time doing research on parts that tested true the second time and bad the third. Damn near threw it in the trash, but will keep it for voltage and such and buy a Fluke...

B