Transmission MONEYPIT

Last week my transmission randomly decided to stop downshifting into second gear. Going up crunched a little, but I double clutched to avoid this. I have since found out that I have thrown a synchro ring.

So the parents thought it would be a prudent time for me to get the transmission rebuilt, this decision came instead of selling it & buying another rig.

Anyway, so now it's been in the Workshop for almost a week now. On the day I dropped it off the bloke called pretty quickly & said it needs to be removed so he can have a look inside, this is $920. Up to this point this was everyting I expected. Gave him the green light to do it.

So today I get a call...

He said the Gearbox is Cactus (Dead). I need a changeover. I kind of expected this too. I was quoted $2750 for this by someone who has conveniently gone on holidays.

He went on to tell me the price is still $2750 & he will get one in from Sydney. HOWEVER this was excluding $550 in Labour.

I was also told the wear indicators on the clutch show that it is also on its way out, even though when I bought the car just over a year ago, the previous owner had already had the clutch replaced.

There goes another $800. Thank god no extra labour.

So there we have it. $4,100 in repairs on a car worth $5,000.

Had I not have already fronted the $920 for the removal & refit only to be told that I need a changeover I would have cut my losses.

/rant

Just had to vent with some people who actually know what they're talking about.

For anyone wondering:

Workshop: 'Trans, Gears & Diffs' in Thomastown.

Prices all in AUD

--DuckMan.

Edited by InfamousDuckMan

Aussie dollars? Ain't that bad. Very close to what a full transmission job can cost here. (That's why we continue to double-clutch from 5th into 4th.)

Spot cash rates 25 August 2009 thanks to the Bank of Canada

Au$/C$ 1.1067

US$/C$ 0.9275

InfamousDuckMan wrote: Had I not have already fronted the $920 for the removal & refit only to be told that I need a changeover I would have cut my losses.

You could be suffering from the infamous and widely spread Loss Aversion or Sunk Cost Fallacy. It explains why many people, institutions, including and especially governments, throw good money after bad to deploy a wisdom rich cliché. (Other examples include holding losing investments for far too long, and sending more citizen-soldiers to die in losing conflicts.)

Actually, it could have been a good economic decision to shoulder the expensive transmission and clutch repairs but that depends on the kilometers driven and the general condition of the engine and chassis. Your full opportunity cost of replacing the vehicle is likely much, much higher than Au$5,000.

Edited by westslope

thats crap bloke..... should have done a serch for some local members before givn them the go ahead. there is a few guys down youre way. if not even on pcoa. may have been able to get one from somewhere

Here ya go Infamous, these guys have a 94 V6 5 speed being wrecked at the moment, they are in NSW, but to have it trucked down would still come well under the 4100 you were quoted. You could even send us over a case of Jacks and still have plenty of change for more mods.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/W...ckToResult=true

The Duck Truck has done almost 300,000 Kms. Had its engine replaced with a brand new one before I bought iteverything else major appears to be looking good, no body rust, nothing.

So I should be getting it back tomorrow. My parents are helping out with the money so I guess after this I'll just have a good reliable truck that will continue to go everywhere.

--DuckMan.

nothing wrong with used parts. Most junkyards give a 90 day warranty. If it is going to fail then it will do so within the first few days. If its still running fine after 90 days then you will be fine.

That price is too much. I was just quoted $1500 for junkyard replacement of transmission AND transfer case.... and i thought THAT was a lot!!

$1500 us = $1800 au

Edited by FUELER

Last week my transmission randomly decided to stop downshifting into second gear. Going up crunched a little, but I double clutched to avoid this. I have since found out that I have thrown a synchro ring.

So the parents thought it would be a prudent time for me to get the transmission rebuilt, this decision came instead of selling it & buying another rig.

Anyway, so now it's been in the Workshop for almost a week now. On the day I dropped it off the bloke called pretty quickly & said it needs to be removed so he can have a look inside, this is $920. Up to this point this was everyting I expected. Gave him the green light to do it.

So today I get a call...

He said the Gearbox is Cactus (Dead). I need a changeover. I kind of expected this too. I was quoted $2750 for this by someone who has conveniently gone on holidays.

He went on to tell me the price is still $2750 & he will get one in from Sydney. HOWEVER this was excluding $550 in Labour.

I was also told the wear indicators on the clutch show that it is also on its way out, even though when I bought the car just over a year ago, the previous owner had already had the clutch replaced.

There goes another $800. Thank god no extra labour.

So there we have it. $4,100 in repairs on a car worth $5,000.

Had I not have already fronted the $920 for the removal & refit only to be told that I need a changeover I would have cut my losses.

/rant

Just had to vent with some people who actually know what they're talking about.

For anyone wondering:

Workshop: 'Trans, Gears & Diffs' in Thomastown.

Prices all in AUD

--DuckMan.

Sorry to hear that...

Pathfinder Transmissions are tough, the problem is that they aren't cooled adequately, so make sure whether a rebuild or swap, that you invest the extra money (less than $100 American ) in a mack-daddy transmission oil cooler, and hopefully this will be the last time you find yourself in this mess...

FYI: Mack-Daddy is not an oil cooler manufacturer...lol

• 4 weeks later...

I've got my rig back now, had it for a few weeks actually, & its doing well so far. Figured I'd give it a few weeks before a review.

So its BEAUTIFULLY quiet! oh & I'm getting more power too.

Anyway, a lot of money down, but well worth it I guess.

Now here is the dodgey bit, when I picked my rig up, I asked the bloke at the workshop about the overfilling that Madkiwi talks about HERE.

He wasnt familiar with this & recommended me not to, he suggested that the changing temperatures within the case will increase the pressure & break something else, & as a result will not be covered by the warranty.

Now stands the question, who do I trust? Someone who just rebuilt my gearbox (or sent it to Sydney for someone else to rebuild), or Madkiwi's information linked above?

--DuckMan.

PS. To '95Pathmaker': My transmission is the Manual 5 speed, I forgot to mention that earlier.

He wasnt familiar with this & recommended me not to, he suggested that the changing temperatures within the case will increase the pressure & break something else, & as a result will not be covered by the warranty.

That bloke is an idiot, so I hope he sent the tranny out for the work and didn't do it himself. There is no pressure in the tranny (and I'm pretty sure it is vented, I know the diffs are), it is a gear box. Even if there was increased pressure, the most it would do is leak at a seal, not 'break something else'. I highly recommend you do not believe anything remotely technical that this bloke tells you.

When Nissan tells it's techs to overfill and modify their tranny case with a higher fill hole to accomodate the recommended overfill amount, I'm prone to believe them. I and countless others have overfilled their trannys according to the TSB with zero negative effects. I highly recomment you do the same... :beer:

B

Oh, the tranny is vented, the shifter socket can not possibly double as a seal... ;)

If the breather system is anything like the auto tranny onel, you should see it go near the power steering lines on the passenger side frame and up under the hood. (pretty sure thats how it works)