Upgrading exhaust

Jeffrey

I'm finally getting around to upgrading my exhaust system to new manifolds and a magnaflow direct bolt-on cat. Which brings me to the muffler- A local shop has flowmaster 40 series mufflers on sale till the end of the month for $70.00. I was hoping they might have the 50 series in stock at the same price, but nope. I know that flowmaster makes a good muffler and my question is has anyone here installed one of these and regretted it due to the louder exhaust note? I'm not opposed to getting a nicer sound out of my old rig, but I don't want my rig to be obnoxious. Any of you folks found a better muffler around the same price?

I have had a Delta 50 on a VG30 Pathy. I liked it so much I bought another for my current build. It was a very good balance between sound and comfort. I have a Super 44 on my D21 pickup and it can get a little annoying on the highway. Luckily it doesn't see the highway much. I would recommend that you spend the extra $ on the Delta 50 if you're worried about the exhaust being loud. If you really want to save money, there are a couple of 40 series copies (v-force, flowpro, thrush) out there for less than $70. I haven't found a Delta 50 copy since the design is still patented. The only problem that I had with the 50 is that I couldn't keep my foot off of the skinny pedal. :)

I have a magna flow cat back on the old 95 and liked it. It growled a litle, but not even remotely annoying.

It will be transferred to the new 95 along with a magnaflow cat and Thorley headers. We'll see how loud it is then... :shrug:

B

I did some looking around and decided on the flowmaster muffler to go with the flowmaster Cat. According to flowmaster, their product seems to be a straight pipe design with some kind of sound deadening insulation wrapped around the preforated pipe. This provides much better exhaust flow while giving my ride a nice deep exhaust tone. I'm going to try to get some before and after recordings to see if their statements are accurate. cheers and thanks for the advice :beer:

I did some looking around and decided on the flowmaster muffler to go with the flowmaster Cat. According to flowmaster, their product seems to be a straight pipe design with some kind of sound deadening insulation wrapped around the preforated pipe. This provides much better exhaust flow while giving my ride a nice deep exhaust tone. I'm going to try to get some before and after recordings to see if their statements are accurate. cheers and thanks for the advice :beer:

What series is that? Every Flowmaster I've taken apart is a baffled design.

For referance, his is what my buddy's '91 Yota SR5 3.0 V6 sounds like with a Flowmaster 40 series and no catalytic converter, it was quieter before we made him a cat pipe. I'd imagine the Nissan sounds somewhat alike. I had a Flowmaster 40 series on my old truck for a wopping 2 &^%*ing days. I didn't even get to make a video of how it sounded, but it did sound really good...

Edited by Kingman

For referance, his is what my buddy's '91 Yota SR5 3.0 V6 sounds like with a Flowmaster 40 series and no catalytic converter, it was quieter before we made him a cat pipe. I'd imagine the Nissan sounds somewhat alike. I had a Flowmaster 40 series on my old truck for a wopping 2 &^%*ing days. I didn't even get to make a video of how it sounded, but it did sound really good...

Sounds nice!

I just picked up the magnaflow muffler. Got it for $80 at Lordco, on sale till the end of the month. Muffler shop is gonna do 2-1/4" pipe from the cat back.

post-24194-1251082692.jpg

post-24194-1251082709.jpg

Edited by rydsno

I got a Gibson cat-back from AC, I'm very happy with the ease of install and exhaust note. The flange and pipe on the inlet side were pre welded, the hanger was a combo clamp for the tailpipe on the output end, bolted to factory mount.