Identify this part!

ItsTheBone

Preface: 1994 Pathy, just got finished with timing belt and cam seal as well as installing a new starter. Truck won't start and can't get past the starter click.

So as I'm trying to hunt down the reason for my starter click (installed new starter and still get just a click) I find this burnt wiring harness and I'm curious as to what part its connected to!

post-5672-1249531222_thumb.jpg

The part in question has the wires going into it.

post-5672-1249531271_thumb.jpg

The harness is burnt and melted. What could have done that?

I've been following "A Starter Story" by k9sar and other posts. I have a feeling its going to take a bypass between the ignition switch and the starter. Just have to get to that point first!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

had the same isuuse with mine. but wasnt the battery or the wipers.....lol it was the smaller wire on the starter motor. was connected but was loose. was getting the click but no go. have a look there to.

Try tappin on the starter and selonoid with a hammer...

IDK man, if its a new starter the brushes should be fine. I've only found that the hammer trick works when the brushes or windings are bad. Put a cupple "pecker tracks" on a new starter and there goes the warranty...

Edited by 87NPFnewbie

The plunger on the starter might be defective and not properly engaging, so tapping it with a hammer may cause it to engage. If you're worried about dinging up the starter then put a small cloth over it where you beat on it. It works if you can manage to even get a cloth down there... :lol:

I'd take that starter back and have whatever store you bought it from test it. If it's bad, cool you fixed the problem. If not, at least that's one thing ruled out. ;)

find where the noise (click) comes from. That will help you tremendously.

small single click is probably your starter relay, hence the problem occurs after that. usually in the trigger wire or a bad solenoid on the starter

rapid clicks - most likely weak battery or bad cable to terminal connection on battery

big click (or thunk) - problem either in pos feed to starter or internal. Check voltage at big red wire on starter. If good, it's probably the internal contacts

Edited by k9sar

Wiper motor eh. I haven't used it that much!

Yes, I've checked the battery and even replaced it since it was dead and under warranty.

I'd rather not have to start bangin on a new starter like my old one. Would rather take it back to test it.

The click does come from the starter tho. Sounds like its pushing the spindle out, but can't get going past that.

I'm following a wire diagram and finding no luck in locating the color of wires its indicating for different parts. I'm wondering if the click is a result of fried wiring somewhere like my wiper motor.

Crash course in auto electrical!

Edited by ItsTheBone