R50/Terrano Projector Headlight

I saw this headlight housing on someone's 2000 R50/Terrano on the website. I think it is a JDM accessories. I've been trying to look for it, but it was to no avail.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images...20005_large.jpg

Does anyone know where to find that item? I believe it must be an aftermarket... but I might be wrong.

Edited by dududuckling

Thanks, guys...

Terr, is there like an accessories shop in Aussie that sells the JDM headlights? If yes, can I get a website? I've been trying the search engine, but had no luck. If its JDM factory, I assume any local nissan dealer in Japan should have the parts, right? Just like how I search for pathy headlights and lotsa parts are available from local nissan shops. But I read no Japanese... :(

Thanks, guys...

Terr, is there like an accessories shop in Aussie that sells the JDM headlights? If yes, can I get a website? I've been trying the search engine, but had no luck. If its JDM factory, I assume any local nissan dealer in Japan should have the parts, right? Just like how I search for pathy headlights and lotsa parts are available from local nissan shops. But I read no Japanese... :(

These are JDM projector/HID headlights which were available on higher grade R50 Terranos from MY 1998-2004.

Believe me, they are hard to come by, especially for us here in North America. I've spent the last 7 months trying to locate a pair for my '98 and have made very little progress despite having several connections in Japan. The biggest hurdle is price. For the first gen R50 HIDs, the cheapest I have found has been approx. $1,200USD+shipping from Japan.

For the second gen R50 you're probably looking at around $2,000USD+shipping. I don't know for sure, though. :(

Whether or not the dealerships in Japan carry these items in inventory is hard to know. My guess is they would probably be special order only. :shrug:

If you come across something and need some translating, let me know. :aok:

Why would you spend that much money for something thats ugly IMO. May as well get a set of blacked out headlights on ebay. And they look better IMO :aok:

looks are subjective. speaking of subjective, blacked out headlights are fugly. at least the $2k HIDs serve a purpose.

Thanks for your help, Tekaz.

I was looking for the headlights simply to satisfy my curiosity. Not long ago, I installed the black Anzo headlights housing from ebay. I think this is the one mentioned by 01silvapathy. In my opinion, the reflector from the factory housing still works better at dispersing lights from halogen bulbs as compared to Anzo's ones.

Then I installed HID kit on the pathy. With the current housing, there's simply too much glare for oncoming drivers and I had to aim the beam slightly downward. Currently, people aren't flashing me anymore, except those who drive lowered civics/acura. They sit so low that my lights are aimed at them.

In the picture, it seems that JDM housing contains projector headlights. Seeing how halo projector headlights for civic only cost around US$300 + shipping, I thought these ones would cost around the same price. The HID serves its purpose really well in the dark, but it would be even better if coupled with projector headlights.

If the price ranges in the thousands, there's no way I'm gonna get them. Just be happy with what I have and I'd rather save all that money for a lift or other mods.

Edited by dududuckling

Why would you spend that much money for something thats ugly IMO. May as well get a set of blacked out headlights on ebay. And they look better IMO :aok:

The blacked out lenses look decent but are horrible for dispersing light. Why spend money on something which makes your headlights worse? :scratchhead:

looks are subjective. speaking of subjective, blacked out headlights are fugly. at least the $2k HIDs serve a purpose.

Agreed. The pricetag is horrific but HIDs in general aren't cheap from a OEM standpoint. :shrug:

The blacked out lenses look decent but are horrible for dispersing light. Why spend money on something which makes your headlights worse? :scratchhead:

LOL we're talking about 01silvapathy here. He doesn't know much but still learning!!

Agreed.

IMO the HID's are f*ckin badass, I wouldn't spend $1200-1500 for them but I'd steal 'em for free... thats for damned sure.

IMO the HID's are f*ckin badass, I wouldn't spend $1200-1500 for them but I'd steal 'em for free... thats for damned sure.

:scratchhead: Technically, by stealing aren't you "getting" 'em for free ?? I'm lost. Actually, maybe I don't want to know!

In any case, my fellow enthusiasts, JDM-only gear for the R50 is badass and plentiful. There are a ton of cool options for both generations of the R50 Terrano which were never sold outside of Japan. A shame really... :(

The HID/projector headlights for both generations are truly amazing, and at the time used the most advanced technology Hitachi had to offer. Aesthetic opinion aside, these headlights offer greater versality (i.e., adjustable beam hardware), longer life and improved light dispersion than what was offered elsewhere across the globe. These headlights are the best option for the R50, hands down. :togo:

I would love to get my hands on a set for my '98 because of what these headlights have to offer; cost is the killer, though. Aside from the whole money factor, I'm sold on these. :aok:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

http://www.cockramnissan.co.nz/shoppingCar....htm#headlights

About US$1,300/pair. See bottom of page.

If this sounds outrageous, consider that replacement QX4 HIDs run $800-$900 each new. :shrug:

That's pretty decent. Remember to factor in shipping, though. I'm pretty sure insurance would also be wise. ;)

And yes, the '01-'04 QX4 headlights are outrageous. :lol:

And I just noticed on that site... They don't carry the first gen R50 HIDs!! Fail.

Edited by tekazgtr1984

http://www.cockramnissan.co.nz/shoppingCar....htm#headlights

About US$1,300/pair. See bottom of page.

If this sounds outrageous, consider that replacement QX4 HIDs run $800-$900 each new. :shrug:

Well, its more like 1400, but hey, still bad ass...Just wonder how much shipping would be WITH insurance, as Ty said earlier (honey nips? lol)

a mod I would love to have, but so sad mine is a 96...

Jose

Are the QX4/Overseas ones plug-and-play, with everything contained in the assembly itself ? Just curious. My fuse box actually has separate slots for HID L and R. :lol:

I'm pretty sure all R50s from '98-up were equipped with the fuse box which contains separate L&R slots. I know mine's got 'em, as well as the slots to fit the HID hardware along the cross member which runs parallel with the radiator. Shown here:

crossmember.jpg

As for the plug and play, not a clue. My guess is not, at least as far as I know with the first gen HIDs. The HID itself can be adjusted 4 ways, to increase/decrease light dispersion.

DSC06824-1.jpg

Here's the switch which adjusts the HID (notice settings 0-3), along with sweet rear glass hatch open switch:

DSC06826.jpg

All in all, very cool stuff. Maybe my federal gov't salary will help me obtain these... :rolleyes:

Here's the switch which adjusts the HID (notice settings 0-3), along with sweet rear glass hatch open switch:

DSC06826.jpg

All in all, very cool stuff. Maybe my federal gov't salary will help me obtain these... :rolleyes:

I'd bet you can retrofit a rear hatch mechanism. I'm doing a retrofit of the hydraulic trunk opener to my BMW. If it works out fine, I may try something similar for the Pathy. (The BMW trunklid is NOT light.) I always thought we got hosed on the power hatch thing. Actually, I'm STILL annoyed the glass window can only be opened by the key!

So THAT'S what the holes in the crossmember are for. I mounted my PIAA relay to one. :lol: If it is that adjustable, I doubt it's plug and play in the sense I was thinking. You'd have to run the wire through the firewall, install the switch etc etc. Too much hassle when I'd be perfectly happy with regular, basic, non-adjustable HIDs. :)

Hmm... Found a junkyard with a QX4. Wonder if they'll deal...

Edited by GoPathyGo

I think the blacked out headlights look great on my 01...

formalweekend073.jpg

However their light dispersion is horrible as stated before. Thank god the fogs put out a lot of light. I wish I could get the HID's, but they are too damn expensive!

And GPG: I am pretty sure the QX4 comes with a hatch glass opening mechanism, so who knows how much of the hardware is already installed in the Pathfinder for the switch...

Edited by laxman0324