How to replace the plastic snap connectors in your door locks

beastpath

My door lock stopped working, so after a bit of investigation on here I realized it was probably the snap connector from the key mechanism to the lock mechanism. I went to the dealership and bought the little plastic yellow and white pieces for about $3 and installed them, fixing my problem. Here is the basic install process.

Problem: Doors do not unlock with key, lock functions normally otherwise (door lock button works, pull lever works)

Diagnosis: Plastic snap connector is broken.

Solution: Replace snap connector.

Things you will need: Philips head screwdriver

Pliers

Replacement connector assembly: P/N's 80552-34A00 and 80534-34A05 (1 per door)

Process:

Step 1 - Take off the door trim to your front door. Make sure your window is up. After unscrewing all the armrest screws, you will have to pop the edges of the trim out of the doors as they are connected by plastic tabs. Pop out the handle frame. Unscrew the manual pull lever and lift up on the door trim. It hooks over the door and should slide off fairly easily. With the door trim off, peel back the plastic protectors to expose the cavities behind that give you access to the lock.

Step 2 - Removing the old snap connector. Hanging from the key-lock mechanism you will see an off white plastic piece attached to a rod. This is the retainer for the snap connector and enables it to slide up and down when the key is turned. Reach your hand inside and grab this piece. Turn it to the left so that the plastic clip at its top comes off the rod it holds on to. The connector is on the inside. Slide both plastic pieces off the rod.

Step 3 - Replacing the snap connector. Assemble your new snap connector with the white piece inserted into the gap. Place it at the widest part of the retainer, with the knob on the outside. Slide both pieces onto the rod, and seat the rod properly in the hole at the bottom of the retainer(This may take some fiddling). Reattach the clip at the top.

Step 4 - Connect the snap connector to the lock assembly. This is by far the most time consuming part as the knob does not compress much and there is very little room to get leverage. If you want you can take some pliers and smush the knob a tad to make it slip through the hole more easily. Place the knob against the hole and push it inside, when it goes in it will pop slightly. Be prepared to spend some time attempting this.

Step 5 - Make sure your door locks work and put back together your door trim.

Pictures:

DSC01184.jpg

My broken clip on the left, the new clip and white piece on the right.

DSC01186-1.jpg

1. The lock assembly hole where the clips knob fits. Push hard.

2. Key lock assembly

DSC01185.jpg

The clip retainer unattached at the top with the new connector in place.

Hope this helps some people. It was a little bit of a PITA just because the clip did not attach easily. Otherwise pretty straightforward. Supposedly it will save you 2-300 from taking it to the dealership.

• Like 1

Been there, it is a pain to work on that stuff, especially if you have big hands. I almost cut back some of the interior sheet metal t get to some of that stuff, but did OK with a few harsh words and extra time.

another thing that will giv your lock problems; if a criminal has broken into your car using a screwdriver in the lock it may have bent the rod for the lock solenoid so that that door doesn't lock or unlock when you lock/unlock the drivers door.

I did my driver door the other day. Here's my two cents...

Put the yellow and white plastic bits into the lock assembly first, then feed the rod through. It may seem a bit cumbersome, but it's definitely a lot easier than trying to push the plastic tabs into the latch (and possibly damaging them and making you go back to the dealer to get a new set of plastic bits).

I was at the Nissan parts counter the other day and picked up two sets. The guy there didn't even need the part number. He knew exactly what I was talking about. It's one of the few things that fails on every older Nissan. I think there needs to be a how-to section to pin this stuff in.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread but would anyone happen to have a part number or link on where to purchase the bigger white peice of plastic that the rod goes through? Thanks!

Edited by azdonald

If you go to a Nissan parts website, they will have the part number.

I just had to do this repair on both of my front doors. I hadn't seen this write-up, but the pictures would have been quite helpful. One of the other forum member has a youtube video in which he describes the whole door lock mechanism and all the connectors which helped me a lot.

• 6 months later...

Old thread, but I just replaced these pieces on both of my doors yesterday. I agree with old flounder. Put the yellow and white clips inside the part they clip into on the door mechanism and then thread the key lock rod through the clip. You have to detach the key lock rod at the lock to do this. You thread the rod into the top of the big off white part, then through the yellow clip you installed, then through the bottom hole and twist the off white part to right to lock it in. After that, it's time consuming, you just attach the rod back onto the lock itself and lock it into place. NE careful. Clips are old and brittle. If I can figure how to put up pictures I will.

Old thread, but I just replaced these pieces on both of my doors yesterday. I agree with old flounder. Put the yellow and white clips inside the part they clip into on the door mechanism and then thread the key lock rod through the clip. You have to detach the key lock rod at the lock to do this. You thread the rod into the top of the big off white part, then through the yellow clip you installed, then through the bottom hole and twist the off white part to right to lock it in. After that, it's time consuming, you just attach the rod back onto the lock itself and lock it into place. NE careful. Clips are old and brittle. If I can figure how to put up pictures I will.