Alt or Battery?

headpeace

Quick question, I put a new battery in Sunday cuz the old one died. Now at idle my battery light comes on but when I start driving it goes off, then comes on again after idling for a minute or two. So is it a bad new battery or my alternator going?

I'd guess the alt is failing and may have prematurely killed the old battery. Hook up a volt meter and see what you get at idle, high idle and with the motor/ignition off. Readings should be aprox 12-12.5 volts, 13.5-14 volts and 12.5-13 volts respectively. This is a down and dirty test but usually accurate enough so you can choose what to have tested or replaced.

B

Forget to say, check all connections/grounds first...

alright, brand new battery, new alternator, still the same problem. Had both the new and old alternator tested and both passed. So anyone have any ideas why I'm losing power? She won't run for more than maybe 10 minutes without dieing and won't start back up without a jump. Help before I have to send her to the Dr. cuz I really can't afford it

Edited by headpeace

Well, I'm just thinking out loud to what is between your key and your starter if you say that she does not start...the only thing coming to mind is this... When you say you need a jump for restart, do it tries to start or you only hear click...(or nothing at all) ??

I would also check the connections between your battery and the alty...maybe your cable is grounded on something or badly deterioated ... If your battery lights comes on, it means you have fallen under 9 or 10 volts....so something is fishy here...You said you tested the alty... do you know the amperage it gives at idle speed....because you say the light goes away after you drive, I'm tempted to say that you alty is still defective and not giving enough amp at idle speed. I had one alty do this on me on another car that I had....

Do you have a Pathy alternator installed, or did you get a Maxima one, and swap pulleys? The reason I ask is, it seems the cut in on the Maxima altys is higher than on the stock Pathfinder ones. Mine doesn't start charging until I hit 2700 rpms.

Then definitely check your wiring, especially the larger ground and positive power wires. Either could be corroded to the point where there's too much resistance for the amperage put out by the alternator at idle.

Yes, in the alternator. If it tested out fine, that's probably not the issue.

I agree with Simon, I think you have bad wiring or connections somewhere. The truck should run for longer than 10 minutes with a new, fully charged battery even if the alt was completely dead.

B

The truck should run for longer than 10 minutes with a new, fully charged battery even if the alt was completely dead.

B

X2

My other truck ran for 30 minutes with the 5 year old battery in it and a dead alty.

Is there supposed to be a ground on the MAF wiring? I don't know what the PO did but there is a stray uninsulated wire next to the sensor, electric taped around the outside insulation of the three insulated wires :scratchhead: , I'm trying to track down any possible shorts

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so the whole story - abbreviated some:

7.4.09 - Pulled up to the gas station, went inside got smokes and beer, came back out - pathy wouldn't start. Walked home. Next day took battery to Walmart they checked it and said it was bad - got a new one. Put the new one in and drive home. Drives fine until Wednesday - 3 days later - won't start when I went to leave work. Got a jump and it started right up and ran great for about 5 blocks - died. Got it towed home cuz I "knew" it was a bad alt. Put a new (reman) alt in that night. Next morning got in to go to work battery light comes on about quarter mile from home, I turn around and go home - didn't want to pay another $76 tow fee. Take the new alt out and take both the old alt and the new alt back to autozone. They test them both - both passed. So I leave the new one with them and take my old one back, since it passed and was good. I'm thinking it must be a bad connection or a short suckin the life outta my pathy - maybe just maybe the new battery wasn't good. Clean connections, test everything with volt meter, check to see if there is a draw on the battery over time -nothing. Check all my grounds. Take the new battery back - they test it - no good, offer a new one - thats ok, I got my money back and went to O Rielly and got a new battery (2nd new battery). In the mean time I've installed a in cabin voltmeter to watch while I'm driving. I start testing the volts at the back of the alt while running and compare them to the battery - this alt is just not putting out enough volts. So take the old alt off go to auto zone and get the same new alt they gave me a few days before. Put it on and start driving again. Luckily I have my new in cabin volt meter. About 4 days later when I start u p I'm good at 13.5-14 volt, drive for about 10 minutes and drops to 12 - meaning I'm running on battery basically (or the alt not putting out any more than 12V). Take the "new" alt off and take it back to a different autozone and get another new alt and have been fine since

Synopsis:

Old alt died and killed my 6 month old battery

Put on new battery and it was killed by old alt as well

Got new reman alt that was no good - replaced and got another new battery and all is well

Edited by headpeace

So true, thats the only reason I kept going back, cuz I really didn't want to pay for another alt, but all the time and energy I spent trying to diagose the prob I might have been better off buying a new one from Napa. oh well, I still have my money in my pocket it was just a big headache

• 6 months later...

well the alty is dead AGAIN! Here's a few questions hopefully you guys/gals can help me with

1. Anyone know a ball park figure on alty prices at pick and pull?

My plan was to get a quest and put that on, I could get another craptastic autozone alt to get me by until I can do this if the price at P&P isn't crazy for a used alt.

2. Or should I just get a reman Oreilly Maxima 95 amp alt and pay the price to get out of the autozone loop of changing the alt every 6 months?

Edited by headpeace

well the alty is dead AGAIN! Here's a few questions hopefully you guys/gals can help me with

1. Anyone know a ball park figure on alty prices at pick and pull?

My plan was to get a quest and put that on, I could get another craptastic autozone alt to get me by until I can do this if the price at P&P isn't crazy for a used alt.

2. Or should I just get a reman Oreilly Maxima 95 amp alt and pay the price to get out of the autozone loop of changing the alt every 6 months?

1) $30. Just bought a Quest alty last month.

2) Could there be anything with your system that is killing the alts? If not, yes, break the cycle. It really could stick you some time and it certainly isn't good for the battery. I have 3 or 4 alternators lying around, all used. 2 stock pathy, a Maxima and a Quest. No, the Maxima is in the Pathy now, I loose track...

B

1) $30. Just bought a Quest alty last month.

2) Could there be anything with your system that is killing the alts? If not, yes, break the cycle. It really could stick you some time and it certainly isn't good for the battery. I have 3 or 4 alternators lying around, all used. 2 stock pathy, a Maxima and a Quest. No, the Maxima is in the Pathy now, I loose track...

B

Thats a fear I have but I still think it was the AZ craptastic alt, last week the voltage regulator started acting crazy, at idle it would go from like 13.5 to 15.5 back to 13.5 over and over. So I think the VR just had it, the positive post on the back looked fried

so I've decided to put a new positive wire from the alt to the battery in, will 12 gauge be sufficient? Does the wire go straight from the back of the alt to the positive battery post?