Instead of doing SAS conversions on D21's...

Why not just put the body of a Pathfinder onto a short or mid-wheelbase 4x4? Surely there's a few 4x4's out there with similar track and width that have solid axle setups! Plus with the Pathfinder being the underdog to hilux/ 4runner/ surfs, we've got bugger all choice for different engines, so if you were to put the body onto a shorty Patrol or Cruiser etc you'd have better options for engine and adapting packeages wouldn't you? What would the setbacks be to this idea?

I think his point was to swap the Pathy body onto a frame that already had a solid axle under it, from the factory. Thus his reference to Patrols and Hilux/Surf/Cruiser Toyota's.

It definitely would work, but the amount of time, money and custom fabricating needed to do it right, might end up being more than what it would take to just do a SAS on a Pathfinder :shrug:

why bother swapping bodies?

just drive the other vehicle as is.

i think the whole point of doing an SAS on a Pathfinder is that you actually want to wheel in a Pathfinder! (frame, body, and engine at least)

if the only thing that is on there is the body its not really a Pathfinder IMO.

What did North America get from Nissan instead of Patrol for the full size 4x4? I'm not sure what the equivalent of a hardbody is here (oz) but i've got a 2 door 4cyl and i'm planning to cut it down into a ute and hopefully find a Z31 300ZX turbo and use its engine, they're difficult find for cheap with a manual here.

There was no full sized truck or ute offerings from Nissan in North America until the release of the Titan and Pathfinder Armada (currently known and just "Armada")

The truck known as the Hardbody (D21) here was called the Navara unless I am mistaken. The "Hardbody" ran from 1986-1997 in North America. In 1998 they released the "Frontier" as it's successor, which again, if I am not mistaken was still called the Navara elsewhere.

I think his point was to swap the Pathy body onto a frame that already had a solid axle under it, from the factory. Thus his reference to Patrols and Hilux/Surf/Cruiser Toyota's.

It definitely would work, but the amount of time, money and custom fabricating needed to do it right, might end up being more than what it would take to just do a SAS on a Pathfinder :shrug:

This was suggested to me as an alternative to SAS. Issue I thought of was, after all this fab work (More I'd say than a SAS) you'll only have what that truck had factory. So it won't have super flex.

Also it wouldn't take my 14" travel shocks P...

There was no full sized truck or ute offerings from Nissan in North America until the release of the Titan and Pathfinder Armada (currently known and just "Armada")

The truck known as the Hardbody (D21) here was called the Navara unless I am mistaken. The "Hardbody" ran from 1986-1997 in North America. In 1998 they released the "Frontier" as it's successor, which again, if I am not mistaken was still called the Navara elsewhere.

Our navara's are utes with leaf sprung rear, and come in 2x4 and 4x4, single, king and dual cab. The 4x4 is 2" extended bodymounts. My Pathfinder is the same shape as the one in your sig.

The Pathfinder already has a link/coil rear end. Most, if not all of the platforms that might work are leaf sprung front and rear. Pathfinders benefit most from the flex that link suspension offers. Do a SAS and link the front - DON'T DO A LEAF SPRING CONVERSION!!! If you want a leaf sprung rig just forget the pathfinder all together and drive a less capable rig.

Do a SAS and link the front - DON'T DO A LEAF SPRING CONVERSION!!!

I have seen a few that have tremendous articulation so I'll have to disagree with you. Let's say "If you do a leaf spring conversion, do it right!!". ;)

B

The Pathfinder already has a link/coil rear end. Most, if not all of the platforms that might work are leaf sprung front and rear. Pathfinders benefit most from the flex that link suspension offers. Do a SAS and link the front - DON'T DO A LEAF SPRING CONVERSION!!! If you want a leaf sprung rig just forget the pathfinder all together and drive a less capable rig.

Yeah, leaf springs suck for flex and even worse, your rig is less capable than stock! Yeah sure, the front end is now stronger than the stock ifs, but really, who ya foolin' with that Dana Corp crap. Those dudes that go to Moab with leaf sprung trucks probably get laughed at. ;)

you can get leaves to flex nearly as good as a link suspension.

one of the biggest advantages of a liked suspension is that axle wrap is non existant. and If your coils are the correct rate, they won't unload as bad and start hopping like leaves do.

yes coils can hop, but not as bad as leaves

leaves are cheap reliable, and simple

*snicker*

Sorry Balmer, but you put your foot pretty deep in your mouth on that one. :D

It's all good though... :beer:

B

Yah, all good! Just messing around there...having a little fun.

Where is my build info...on the board somewhere? I will have to check. Some info in my sig Balmer.

Ya, ok I feel stupid! Still, I can't see putting a leaf set-up in a rig that came stock with links... it just seems like retrobuilding to me. Not to knock the flex of SOME leaf sprung rigs out there. And that's one of the few moded Bronco2's I've ever seen and by far the most flex I've seen out of one! I guess my reason for slagging leaf suspension is that I have a near stock 'Finder that is AT LEAST as capable as my buddy's YJ that he's put like 5 grand into. Were both decent drivers and he always blames his leaves for a lack of flex when I go through something he thinks I won't be able to follow him through. They really do seem to hold him up compared to coil sprung TJ's.

lol Aside from the obvious that has already been state here... I gotta say, that there are not "some" leaf sprung tucks with good to extreme flex, there are a LOT of them. They are not uncommon at all. :aok:

• 2 weeks later...

How about a 1970-1994 Range Rover or 1989-1998 Land Rover Discovery as a donor vehicle? 100" wheelbase, body on frame construction, solid axles, four wheel coil springs/disc brakes, full time 4x4, 3.5-3.9V8??

I guess it seems good on paper (or online) but logistically would be a nightmare. And I guess the inherent Land Rover reliability issues.