Weirdness with Waterpump

IBT

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the reason I say its not the winged pump is b/c the aluminum casting that goes around the crank would go higher than the idler pulley this image from the link k9 linked shows that break I was speaking of the lighter aluminum is the WP and the darker is the lower aluminm casting on the block

Img_1357-vi.jpg

Img_1341-vi.jpg

My engine:

DSCN1746.jpg

IBT:

waterpump017.jpg

That being said you could pull the crank and get the lower casting and I have the timing covers that you would have to swap to

I searched all over for that water pump last night and have no clue where it went to

Edited by unccpathfinder

good eye. it's not completely clear where the oil pump stops (below or above the tensioner). A better pic of that area should help. so... let's see the area around the tensioner as well as the upper and lower timing covers.

[quote The VG30I from 1988 had a square tooth application... looks like yours has either a round tooth belt or a worn square tooth.

oooohhh I just had a terrible thought... perhaps the previous owner snapped off a water pump bolt and chose to put the smaller one on rather than extract the bolt so the right one could be installed. hmmmm.....

I'm almost positive I have the rounded tooth application, but tomorrow I will take a close up pic of the cams and the belt. See the timing belt cover pictures below. I did look very close at all the bolt holes and nothing seemed snapped off or damaged at all.

And thanks for the help!

good eye. it's not completely clear where the oil pump stops (below or above the tensioner). A better pic of that area should help. so... let's see the area around the tensioner as well as the upper and lower timing covers.

Here are the timing covers I will try to get some better pics of the Tensioner area tomorrow, and thanks so much for the help you guys are awesome....

waterpump043.jpg

waterpump042.jpg

waterpump041.jpg

more pictures to come...

BTW, if you are that far torn down, you should go ahead and swap in a new timing belt and thermostat.

Yup your right, I already replaced the thermostat and have bought the timing belt for when I get all this water pump stuff figured out.

[quote How old is that t-belt?

Hard to say how old the Timing belt is... but I will have some better close-up pictures for everyone tomorrow.

[quote That being said you could pull the crank and get the lower casting and I have the timing covers that you would have to swap to

Uncc not sure what you mean here pull off the lower casting and change the covers..? Anyway thanks so much for not letting this thread die until I can get my 88 back on the road. I will have some more close-up pics tomorrow of the cams, belt and the teeth, let me know if you need pictures of anything else I will get to it asap...

Uncc not sure what you mean here pull off the lower casting and change the covers..?

behind the crank gear (lower most gear about 2" diameter) there is an aluminum casting that contains the front main seal...you could pull the crank gear and remove that and replace it with the casting that accepts the "winged" pump if that bolt pattern matches up to what you have (but the 2wd WP should have the same bolt pattern) then after doing that swap all you need is the new timing belt cover... which to me makes sense someone cut it b/c they were lazy and didnt want to pull the TB to change the WP and cut the TB cover...

that being said i've never seen a nissan TB cover that was not a full circle on the bottom so either someone cut it or this is some VG engine i havent seen before (most likely out of a car) if thats the case that is almost as much fun as someone would have with my truck trying to figure out what years to order parts off of...

So have you tried the 2wd pump yet? just get it bring it to the house see if the pattern is the same if it is...snug up 2 or 3 bolts and set all the TB covers in place and see if everything will fit back in...if not take it back...

God I hope you're wife is more patient than any woman i've ever met...if not you've had one hellofa week

Edited by unccpathfinder

I can't tell if the lower cover is flat or if it has sides on it to shield the t-belt. :shrug:

anyway... Was this a private sale, from a dealer, or what? Any chance of tracking down the previous owner and asking? just a thought.

yea same here...I just got up and it lookse like the TB cover was made like that b/c the lower aluminum casting in this picture looks like the raised section would sit in the notch on the cover...

I've been kind of tunnel visioned and restricting the possible engines to 86-95...is it possible that its a VG33 or another VG and they did change the block casting for the WP mounting? I still highly doubt they would have changed the casting tho b/c there don't seem to be any major design flaws in the WP...the only flaw i've seen is the exhaust studs...

yea same here...I just got up and it lookse like the TB cover was made like that b/c the lower aluminum casting in this picture looks like the raised section would sit in the notch on the cover...

I've been kind of tunnel visioned and restricting the possible engines to 86-95...is it possible that its a VG33 or another VG and they did change the block casting for the WP mounting? I still highly doubt they would have changed the casting tho b/c there don't seem to be any major design flaws in the WP...the only flaw i've seen is the exhaust studs...

Guys I just got a text message from my friend who has the Pathy at his house. He said the timing sprockets are square not round MY BAD I repeat Timing Sprockets are Square not round!

Guys I just got a text message from my friend who has the Pathy at his house. He said the timing sprockets are square not round MY BAD I repeat Timing Sprockets are Square not round!

Just means it is a pre 93 1/2 build motor.

Just means it is a pre 93 1/2 build motor.

Ok All I got as many of the pictures I think you asked for if there is anything else specific let me know and I will post it tomorrow asap.

waterpump047.jpg

waterpump048.jpg

waterpump049.jpg

waterpump051.jpg

waterpump052.jpg

waterpump053.jpg

waterpump054.jpg

waterpump059.jpg

waterpump060.jpg

waterpump064.jpg

And more pics...Thanks so much to all you pathy people... headed to the junkyard/parts store again tomorrow. Took a couple hours off tonight for my 20th Anniversary, but UNCC your right it has been a rough week and the best present I could get the wife would be her "Baby" back on the road.

waterpump066.jpg

waterpump071.jpg

waterpump084.jpg

waterpump065.jpg

definitely square tooth belt and i pulled out the TB cover from that maxima engine and its exactly like that one I just didnt remember it being like that...

so I'm still going with a 2wd HB V6 WP unless that has been tried but I really think that's what its gonna be...

definitely square tooth belt and i pulled out the TB cover from that maxima engine and its exactly like that one I just didnt remember it being like that...

so I'm still going with a 2wd HB V6 WP unless that has been tried but I really think that's what its gonna be...

What year HB do you think Uncc?

Ok I will be checking that today. It's just hard to know I have looked at so many different water pumps. And some parts stores don't have everything in stock. Crazy anyway I will try to find that today. The nissan stealership did not have one of those I know. I think the one that was closest was the 91 300zx but still about a quarter inch too short on the snout. But Stadium a/p were I'm headed today has thousands of used blocks and parts as well as new so hopefully they have one in stock.

What year HB do you think Uncc?

Ok I will be checking that today. It's just hard to know I have looked at so many different water pumps. And some parts stores don't have everything in stock. Crazy anyway I will try to find that today. The nissan stealership did not have one of those I know. I think the one that was closest was the 91 300zx but still about a quarter inch too short on the snout. But Stadium a/p were I'm headed today has thousands of used blocks and parts as well as new so hopefully they have one in stock.

Ya seriously F**ING pissed off right now. Stadium auto parts - Recyclers in Dever, Co ...Bites the Big one. They took one look at the WP and blinked and said we don't have anything like that have you tried NAPA! FU dude.

So anyway after looking at the HB wp's 2wd and 4wd still too short. Ordering a pump off an infinity to check the snout size and if that is too short then were going with the d21 HB 2wd pump and special ordering a one Inch spacer extention to make the F**Knn thing work.

Still can't believe it is this hard to find the right water pump. But Oh the things we do for our Pathfinders!!!!!!!! lol.

I'm still just confused...nothing looks out of hte ordinary on that engine...its got to be a direct replacement OEM...if not that sucks ass...I guess this will be the only time you have to go through this b/c next time you will know what works...

Don't know if this helps you at all or not, but it looks very similar to a 1985 300zx we have in the shop today doing a waterpump/timing belt on.

I snapped a couple of pics for you:

DSCN1211.JPG

DSCN1212.JPG

DSCN1213.JPG

DSCN1214.JPG

DSCN1215.JPG

Don't know if this helps you at all or not, but it looks very similar to a 1985 300zx we have in the shop today doing a waterpump/timing belt on.

Thanks for the pics. Suprisingly the water pump that has been the closest to what I pulled off the 88 pathy was a 91 300zx pump, but still about a quarter inch too short in the snout. At this point I think were going to use either the HB 2wd water pump or a 300zx water pump but having to special order spacers so the fan will sit correctly.