R50 - question about adjusting rear LSV after lift?

FUELER

First of all, my main question is, is there any easy way to adjust the LSV by eye?

The directions in the FSM are just ridiculous

Second, how many of you adjusted the LSV after lift?

THX in advance

It was done, but not by me. I could ask my mechanic what he did to adjust it. Honeslty, the before and after difference was negligible. With the SFD coming, I'm a bit skeptical to just leave it. :scratchhead:

I'll look into this with my hook-up @ Nissan either way. :aok:

LSV? what is that for? I mean I guess it should be obvious by the name, but I have no clue as to why it would need to be adjusted.

It is part of the anti-lock brake system on a 96-01 R50 in the back brakes.

But I am also curious, why does it need to be adjusted?

Load Sensing Valve

It should be adjusted as lifting the truck spreads the "sensing" spring further apart.

I should think that and gain from the rear would be worth it. Years ago now I hauled marble tile in my pathy..I was lifted with OME then and having the rear sagged under the massive weight of 160 tile made the rear brakes work just amazing! I could hardly believe that it stopped better with such a serious amount of weight in the back...that valve definatly changes the rear drums offering to the brake system.

XPLORx4 adjusted his if I am not mistaken...and you know Dean is a steel trap for anything rig-related!!

The LSV has nothing to do with the ABS. The LSV allows more braking ability to the rear wheels when you're towing something, the more the suspension sags the more the rear brakes "break". What i did on my gen1 r50 was just stretch out the spring, and then i just locked in the LSV to allow full brake pressure to the rear wheels cuz i was running 33" tires.

The reason for adjustment is when you lift your pathfinder, it pulls on the LSV reducing the brake pressure to the rear axle. The more lift you have with out adjustment the less pressure to the rear, the lower your car is the more pressure.

Edited by nissandoms47

I measured the spring extension before the lift, and adjusted after the lift (and a couple weeks of settling) to about the same lenght. I remember it making a noticeable difference. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact lenght, but someone with an unlifted R50 could chime in.

By the way, my '98 has no ABS and it has the LSV, so its definetly not ABS specific.

Edited by arcano

The LSV has nothing to do with the ABS. The LSV allows more braking ability to the rear wheels when you're towing something, the more the suspension sags the more the rear brakes "break". What i did on my gen1 r50 was just stretch out the spring, and then i just locked in the LSV to allow full brake pressure to the rear wheels cuz i was running 33" tires.

The reason for adjustment is when you lift your pathfinder, it pulls on the LSV reducing the brake pressure to the rear axle. The more lift you have with out adjustment the less pressure to the rear, the lower your car is the more pressure.

:yeahthat: Lol, that's what I said! :D

How did you lock in the LSV? That sounds like a great idea but a little confusing to me. :scratchhead:

I tied the valve all the way open with i think really strong zip ties lol. It always held.

sounds like a good idea.... i might just have to do this

t morgan.... how did you adjsut yours?

if you crawl under the back of your pathy and manually actuate the valve, it's pretty obvious how it works and how you would ghetto rig it. it's much easier than us trying to explain it and then the user try to comprehend and implement it. :D

ya i just dont know which direction tightens it... i guess i could jack it up and see how it changes but this is way easier :)

But the zip tie idea sounds good, no?

• 2 years later...

I just wanted to resurrect this thread.....I'm thinking this is why my front brakes/rotors have all of a sudden worn quickly!!! I'll definitely be doing this mod. (FYI , I'm getting EBC Drilled/Slotted Rotors & Greenstuff 7000 Pads). With all the new lifts I've been seeing by members here and SFD's I thought I'd bring this post back to relevancy.

More info on LSV.....LSV :clickdalink:

And this one......starting at post #15........LSV / Break Info :clickdalink:

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

I tried to place my spring back in to a more stock location. I measured my friends unlifted spring and took some baling wire to the original spring mounting location and back to the spring. NOT very scientific.

I'll be honest, I thought I could tell a difference when going from the super stretched out position (SFD) to the more stock configuration. Could have been just in my head though...

Here is a sloppy picture of it's first loosely estimated location, I've changed it since then (after measuring my friend's rig's spring length):

2011-04-24_20-15-56_476.jpg