AZ D21 Truck- but you guys got the best info!

cstem

Hey folks- my name is Cory and I just bought an 87 D21 SE-V6. I live in phoenix and manage a small motorcycle shop as well as announce motorsports events around the country (FMX, arenacross, supermoto, roadracing etc) for a living.

I know this is a Pathy site but I was looking at all the forums and technically (I love mechanical stuff) this forum seemed to have more folks who work and fab thier own stuff and are into the same things I am. In fact- I know want a pathfinder too. If it helps my wife has an 01 Xterra!

I have lots of questions and hopefully will be able to provide some answers for others- especially about motorcycles- feel free to ask.

The truck has 167k and is bone stock. Paint is decent for Arizona and is lite blue. Interior too which is filthy (1st question- what is the best stuff to clean the fabric?) 5 speed and everything works except the cruise. I plan on leaving it mainly stock as I will be using it to get back and forth from the airport, shop and mountain bike rides. I plan to replace shocks and bushings with good stuff, install some different updated wheels (preferably OEM or black Americans), clean it up and fix the little problems (cruise, exhuast leak). Addding lights, spray in bedliner and a tune up will get her going fine.

So thanks for letting me in and I promise not to make fun of your station wagons (just sold a volvo wagon to get this!) and flood the place with truck stuff. I will mainly be lookig for advice and mods on parts of the truck that are the same.

Oh- and do pathfinders have a decent center console that I can lean on- teh one in my truck is short and sits too low!

WELCOME!

I'm in Phoenix too! This is a great site for all your needs, and as pathfinders are based on the D21 truck frame I dont think we will discriminate too much against you.

There is tons of info on here about general maintenance and replacing worn out parts. As for the center console, I don't know what the D21's look like, but the pathfinders arent that great. They are pretty short and uncomfortable to rest your arm on. There are a few people who have switched one out from a jeep or a dodge or something, and a member who is working on converting a mini-fridge into the armrest!

The search function can be a bit retarded, but the plus side is that you get lots of random information whenever you look for something.

If you need help feel free to pm me.

There is an optional center console, actually, it's an insert, that fits in/on top of the regular console, which has a much better, and higher armrest. My LE didn't have it, but my old SE did, so I swapped it over. No problem.

For the cruise, check the fuses, and the vacuum lines to the actuator under the hood.

For the interior, a carpet cleaning machine with upholstery cleaner would work best. IF not available, there are some foaming cleaners with brush attachements (brushes actually attach to the aerosol can itself) that seem to work okay. Can't remember the names off hand, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
I had one that was made by turtle wax ( the cans with the brush) but it sucked.

I used a "little green machine" by bissell to clean my interior. It worked great!

Okay so I used Oxyclean and water in a spray bottle. Just sprayed it on, waited about 30 seconds and rubbed it off with a towel. No mess and it worked pretty well. My headliner was the light blue with a brown shade from all the accumulated dirt and dust. It doesn't look brand new- but tons better. *WARNING* when putting oxy clean in a spray bottle- vent it every few minutes. I nearly exploded a whole bottle of mix after stepping away for about 10 minutes!

Here are some outside pics showing the Sequoia wheels and tires installed and after a nice bath. Not bad for $2250+$400 for wheels tires and truck!

hardbodylh.jpg

hardbodylhrr.jpg

hardbodyrh.jpg

Welcome, put a cap on the back and all will be fine.....

(I'm amazed that you didn't jump at calling it a Hardbody and went with D-21, I used to hate when people would do that with my old ones)

Edited by nunya

Welcome, put a cap on the back and all will be fine.....

(I'm amazed that you didn't jump at calling it a Hardbody and went with D-21, I used to hate when people would do that with my old ones)

I am looking for a cap or at the least a truck bed tent.

The center caps are yet to be modded- but the Toy logo does come off, so I think fill it and paint to match or something (or just leave it- not really buggin me) and the fronts I think I may bore out a hole for the hubs and that will take care of the logo!

• 4 months later...
I am looking for a cap or at the least a truck bed tent.

The center caps are yet to be modded- but the Toy logo does come off, so I think fill it and paint to match or something (or just leave it- not really buggin me) and the fronts I think I may bore out a hole for the hubs and that will take care of the logo!

Nice, clean truck Phoenix! I wouldn't mind one my self, you got the goodies too, the sunroof and extended cab. Nice!

I see you are painting your rear passenger flare, what did you use?

Regards,

Gus Padron.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome. That is definitely a nice looking truck. I see you have manual locking hubs already too. I'm also in Phoenix and have a D21 (very ugly in comparison) as well as a WD21 Pathfinder. The biggest difference besides the body is the rear suspension (coils and 5-link vs leaf springs) Where in Phoenix are you?

edit: I guess I should have looked at the date on the first post :sleeping:

Edited by KovemaN