Help Needed! Engine and mechanics

So the story goes that about 3-4 weeks ago my pathy quit on me. I moved it around in my backyard closer to the house (running) then about 2-3hours later I went to go move it back cause I was done with my work on it for the day... She would not start. Checked plugs, wires, connections, injectors... Nothing wouldn't start.

So she sat in the same spot (long enough to kill the grass under it...2 weeks) while I worked on her her and there when I had time cause of school and work. Rebuilt the throttle body, dropped and drained gas tank, new fuel pump, flushed gas system, new plugs and wires tomorrow (olds plugs and wires had 2,750 miles on them so they should of worked).... And nothing... I even shot a little starting fluid into the TB before I did the throttle body work (would crank then) and after the rebuild... Not even a kick....

Could it be timing belts?

Coil pack is good cause I grounded the plugs and saw a nice spark...

Everything else is fine....

I just don't want to end up like unccpathfinder with bent valves....

Please help... I don't wanna end up having to junk the car cause I can't affor a motor swap or a new pathfinder....

Any and all help is welcome... And if it involves saving money then tell me... Already got connections at napa, advance, and autozone...

Ok for running ECU codes, my automotive instructor says that I have took get my pathfinder to the dealer to get it looked over.... Is this entirely true or is there a scanner that I can get myself (that I can use on other vehicles) to check the codes?

And could someone explain to me what it means to "flash" an ecu? I have seen that a few times and don't know what that means....

NO.

These are OBDI ECUs. They are self checking units!!! There is a reason why I gave you that link. Did you follow the instructions???

Only an OBDII ECU needs a scanner.

And to flash an ECU is to reprogram it with new information or simly reset it.

Haven't been able to with all the rain that the south east has been having... I am gonna try this afternoon... I just wanted some clarification on this matter

And the starter is fine... Turns the motor very nicely.... Motor just won't catch and go...

As you all know i am trying to get my pathy running again....

Watched the LED's for a bit... no malfunction

Timing belt is alright...

TBI system was rebuild last week....

new plugs and wires....

Compression test tomorrow....

then what?

ok i did find this thread but still have no idea what is really going on.. what's it doing when you turn the key? is your battery dead? check that first..

i also read your other thread and what does this mean? : 'the t belt is alright'????? if you haven't changed it since you have owned the truck, you better do it fast.

The timing belt isn't cracked or anything is what i meant... but i am gonna replace it anyway so i don't beat myself later for bending valves....

Battery and all connections are clean and fine....

I will be doing the compression test tomorrow and i will post my numbers... then you can tell me what i should do about it....

Got new plugs and wires... hopefully that will help it get going....

pull a plug wire and set in next to the engine so that it will arc out. if not you have a direction to go, starting with the coil.

from what i read, its not firing at all. even if things are all screwed up it'll still run.

I've seen these engine that have broken timing belts, put back toghet wiht bent valves and STILL run.

check your timing marks on the upper 2 cams, line them to TDC. then pull your distributor cap and make sure that the rotor is pointing at number 1.

pull a plug wire and set in next to the engine so that it will arc out. if not you have a direction to go, starting with the coil.

from what i read, its not firing at all. even if things are all screwed up it'll still run.

I've seen these engine that have broken timing belts, put back toghet wiht bent valves and STILL run.

check your timing marks on the upper 2 cams, line them to TDC. then pull your distributor cap and make sure that the rotor is pointing at number 1.

All plug wires arc.... tested that right away cause i didnt want it to be something that simple to be the problem....

I will probably look at my timing belt and everything this weekend... for me i got no school next week(spring break) and i am not doing anything so i am gonna try to do as much as i can on the car next week...

All plug wires arc.... tested that right away cause i didnt want it to be something that simple to be the problem....

I will probably look at my timing belt and everything this weekend... for me i got no school next week(spring break) and i am not doing anything so i am gonna try to do as much as i can on the car next week...

Have you even checked the fuel filter up in the engine bay? Do you have any sensors unplugged? I would start with backtracking whatever it was you were doing when you were originally working on it. If none of that works, I am guessing maybe you slipped a tooth. I read somewhere, don't ask me where, that on the older ones, if the springs weren't replaced on the timing adjuster, then sometimes they either slipped or broke all together and you could slip a tooth or more. That doesn't necessarily mean you bent a valve, usually not, but it can happen. What exactly were you working on in the first place?

ok, you got fire.. so check/change plugs. i ran a set way too long and the truck wouldn't fire all of a sudden too. changed them out and all was well. hope that's it.

all the other things mentioned, you might as well do too while you have the time.. those are all maintenance things.. might as well change all the fluids while you're at it.

the timing belt had tension didnt it? and wasnt just floppy in the case?

you havent pulled the distributor out have you? and if you disconnected the fuel lines you hooked them back up to the right places?

heh...listening to 106.5 and it doesnt sound like the rain has or is going to slack up in the next couple days...i miss the carolina's

Edited by unccpathfinder

Check the wires going in to the plugs on the batteries positive cable. I just had about the same thing happen to me and worked on it for three weeks changing plug wires, coil, coil control module, fuel pump, fuel filter, pump relay, and on and on. Try wiggling them then see if it will start. If it dos do it again to see if it dies. If it dos there is your problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your help... I got her running again... Turned out to be bad gas, fouled plugs, wires, and a bad fuel filter....

She runs but has a misfire... I will be looking into that soon....