There's a new skid plate in town !

fleurys

In french we say : chose promise, chose due.... In other word, I talked about it in afew post, now here it is...

The fitment is almost done, still have to unbend a little bit since it is not perfect. The holes placement is final and will give 9 point of attachements. They will not be all necessary but will greatly be appreciated by those who have some bolts broken in the threads... ( I speak by expereince on that one ! :-) )

The whole skid is made of 1/4" aluminum eventhough I was originally going to make it in steel. I have witness a sledgehammer test to 1/4" aluminum vs 1/4" steel vs 3/16th" steel and I can say that for all the benefit of the aluminum, the difference of damage sustain by the splate is almost identical as the 1/4" steel. It is also more resistant (by a good margin) compared to 3/16" steel.

Anyway, I'll redo the test and film it for everyone to see..1/4" aluminum is far from fragile !

I have also decided to have a strip of rubber where the plate meets the frame to prevent rust transfer. All the hardware will be Stanless Steel countersunk bolts.

When I'm ready, i'll give you all the details about them....Ho yes...They weight 3 X LESS then the equivalent in steel..

To give you an idea of the size, the hole in the center is a 6" square...

Here you go...

dcp_1579.jpg

dcp_1580.jpg

dcp_1581.jpg

dcp_1582.jpg

dcp_1583.jpg

Edited by fleurys

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thats cool. I definatley want one, too! I broke the stock plastic one and need something to replace it, and this is definatley the way to do it. So how much did this skid cost you to make, roughly?

Jose

that's freaking awesome. do you plan on taking orders on these

Yes, that's my goal. The problem I have right now is getting the fasteners. Beleive it or not, the M10 stainless steel with small thread is a special order and I have to have it made. So I'm back another 3 weeks. I went, just for fun, at nissan to get a few of the non countersunk ones just to test fit all the fitment holes, and the bolts cost me almost 3$ each...! ouch!...

So for now, this post is just to let everybody that were maybe goig to purchase a skid plate for their r50, that there will soon be an alternative to the AC ones. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but it became ludicrous for me to have it shipped to my location. The price of shipping was almost identical to the price of the skid plate...

So then, I decided that I would design my own . With the help of alot of people here, I have designed what I think is the best skid plate for me. Hopefully, others will also think the same.

Here's a few keypoints :

1) Light

2) rust resistant

3) SS hardware

4) rubber barrier for rattle and rust transfer between frame and skidplate

5) all bolts are countersunk in the skid (no more broken head bolts)

6) Unique window for oil filter access. Access the oil filter in 30Seconds..

7) more points of attachements

I'll probably need the help of someone that has a 96-99 to make sure the holes fit...

So how much did this skid cost you to make, roughly?

I don't have the final number and if I count my time, then this skidplate id expensive haha...I<ve been working on this for the last 4 saturdays and it's the third time that I,ll have to correct the angle on it...I Can't tell you a definitive number, but I'll try to be competitve with the AC ones, eventhough it's a totally different skidplate.. I personnaly think that you can't compare the 2....

Cheers !

Nice design. I have to first see if I can manage to straighten Pezzy's out and reinforce it. I may just go ahead and add an access window for the oil filter while I'm at it. If not, given Pezzy's propensity for turning her front skid into soup bowls, we may be interested, depending on price.

we may be interested, depending on price

You won't be disapointed...hence, just the weight makes the shipping cost go down by half....and since i"m on the same side of the border as you are...

S.

I may also be interested in the skid plate depending on the price... but so far, I'm very happy with the shipping cost (light weight and its from quebec to toronto) which is much cheaper than importing it from the states.

And I'm just wondering (which might sound obvious to you): Do I have to remove the plastic factory skid plate before installing the new one? Or can i just overlap it and use longer bolts?

And I'm just wondering (which might sound obvious to you): Do I have to remove the plastic factory skid plate before installing the new one? Or can i just overlap it and use longer bolts?

This would replace the plastic skid plate.

Do you plan on making other skids? (not just the front?)

Yes , I will be doing a 1 or 2 pieces up to the transfer case with lateral support . I'm looking to try with HDPE 1/2" Plastic sheet. I have the material at home..just need to finally finish with the first one...This saturday should be the decisive one.

This should be sturdy enough with just enough flex into it not to bend permanently on big obstacles..No rust again, easily modifiable with hand tools and also light... I'll continue with my theme of ss hardware and countersunk bolts....nice flat belly :-)

I'll also give a shot at rock sliders with some special extras on it... Big summer for me on the horizon..

S.

Yes , I will be doing a 1 or 2 pieces up to the transfer case with lateral support . I'm looking to try with HDPE 1/2" Plastic sheet. I have the material at home..just need to finally finish with the first one...This saturday should be the decisive one.

This should be sturdy enough with just enough flex into it not to bend permanently on big obstacles..No rust again, easily modifiable with hand tools and also light... I'll continue with my theme of ss hardware and countersunk bolts....nice flat belly :-)

I'll also give a shot at rock sliders with some special extras on it... Big summer for me on the horizon..

S.

HDPE skids eh? Rock sliders eh? Let us know how that goes for you. I am definitely interested. :aok:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I am now in the market for a skid plate. I just tore the plastic splash guard while on a run with SteeevO and his group this weekend. I think the AC plate looks like a pain with no oil filter window, and modifying it myself is kind of out of the question. How long do we have to wait for these to hit the market? Looking forward to purchasing if I can afford the shipping.

Everything is setup except the ... fasteners!... I was promised to have them around this week (that makes 4 weeks of waiting). I will let everybody know when it is ready... Soon ;) ..very soon...

As for the shipping, I'm not worried... the plate is very light...about 3x less than steel...be patient, you won't regret it :)

will it work with the rest of the AC skid plates?

That's a good question, but I have no idea... What I can tell you is that my plate attaches itself to the sub-frame using 4 bolts (2 small and 2 big ). These bolts screw right in in the threaded holes of the path. I don't know how the AC transmission skid attachs to the spash skid. If you can, send me a good picture of the ac transmission skid, where it attaches to the splash one and I'll try to help you figure it out..

S.

Everything is setup except the ... fasteners!... I was promised to have them around this week (that makes 4 weeks of waiting). I will let everybody know when it is ready... Soon ;) ..very soon...

As for the shipping, I'm not worried... the plate is very light...about 3x less than steel...be patient, you won't regret it :)

Do you know the actual specs of the fasteners? I may be able to help out there as we us stainless steel fastener suppliers at work and I can get them at a massive discount. Just need to know the actual thread specs and the stainless grade you are after.

Well other than the fact that I only have 3 bolts still holding my splash guard on, I would love one if I can get them out in a reasonable manner

hahaha...ho you're in for some quality time under your pathfinder .... I had the same issue...I ended up being able to remove all 4..yes 4 broken bolts with drilling without damaging the threads...but... I averaged about 1:30h per bolt... :rolleyes: At the end, I could'nt stand looking at it anymore...All I was seeing is more work to do...

At least with 9 holes for my skid, you could get away with not taking them all out...

Do you know the actual specs of the fasteners? I may be able to help out there as we us stainless steel fastener suppliers at work and I can get them at a massive discount. Just need to know the actual thread specs and the stainless grade you are after

I don't have the official specs because I had the shop measure the threads etc... but basically it is something like this : Countersunk, Metric, Small thread, Stainless steel 304 M8 and M6 I beleive...but not sure on the M...

Here a picture.. : capscrew-ss.jpg

I don't have the official specs because I had the shop measure the threads etc... but basically it is something like this : Countersunk, Metric, Small thread, Stainless steel 304 M8 and M6 I beleive...but not sure on the M...

Here a picture.. : capscrew-ss.jpg

They look pretty standard, if you can get me the actual size, I would be able to have a handful in the mail this weekend.