How deep before i worry about diff breathers?

FUELER

This weekend i drove through a long creek (about 300' long) where at its deepest point, the water was near the top of the tire,

entire rim submerged

at what point should i worry about water getting in the diffs? Should I open fill hole and check? Or dont worry bout it?

heres a photo, this was almost the deepest part

P3060331.jpg

THANKS IN ADVANCE

if its anything like my 89 the t-case & front diff breathe into the tranny. and the rear diff breathes into the x-member above it. Hmm... maybe differant for the rear but if the rest is the same you shouldn't have to worry.

ya, my rear diff breather goes all the way into the frame/body above it, pretty high up. i wouldn't worry about water that deep unless the breather hose is missing.

Did you do that yourself or is that the OEM set-up?

I can't seem to remember where the stock breathers hook up to. Here's what I did awhile back on the rear but I shouldn't be one to give advice on how to go through deep water!!!

Picture118.jpg

That's a sick breather set-up, Tyler. :aok:

Where did you locate the hose, and what kind of hose did you use?

I noticed alot later after I went through this water that my diff breather had come undone :( (water was up past top of running boards at deepest part)

287.jpg

But it was noticed after this also occured (after the water crossing, but before I noticed the diff breather was not connected)

043-2.jpg

Edited by 01silvapathy

I noticed alot later after I went through this water that my diff breather had come undone :( (water was up past top of running boards at deepest part)

But it was noticed after this also occured (after the water crossing, but before I noticed the diff breather was not connected)

Check your diff, Andrew. If it's milky pink, change the fluid. :aok:

FUELER! looks like to were out in borrego! coyote canyon is always a cool run.

I wouldn't worry about water in the breather from that crossing as long as you still have the breather hose connected.

it's not ATF so it won't be milky pink. it's gear oil so it will be like chocolate milk. if it looks bubbly and frothy, time to change the fluid. make sure you can get the top fill plug loose before you open the lower drain plug - for obvious reasons.

it's not ATF so it won't be milky pink. it's gear oil so it will be like chocolate milk. if it looks bubbly and frothy, time to change the fluid. make sure you can get the top fill plug loose before you open the lower drain plug - for obvious reasons.

Then clearly my buddy's not using the right fluid in his rear diff... :lol: