where to find coil spring retainer to keep them compressed

luis

Hi All!

I've been trying to replace my rear coils for the last week but I'm not having any success.

I've read almost everything there is to know about replacing the coils with JGC ones.

Using DamagedReality's excellent guide, I can't drop my axle far enough to get the springs to drop out: my e-brake bracket bolts are waay rusted (I came from Toronto and had the truck there for its first five years)

Perusing the 'net to find another way to remove the coils, I've found k9sar's page on using a coil retainer clip.

Now, trying to do a search on 'coil retainer clip' I get way too many hits about hold the coils to the frame and not keeping them compressed.

Does anyone know of a store which sells these things?

I've tried Pep-boys, Kragens, Autozone, Winchester Auto (San Jose) with no luck. Is these clips that deadly that they were discontinued??

Thanks!

luis..

ps: If you have other ideas, please let me know.

You're looking for a spring compressor. Get the kit with 2 pieces that clamp on the outside of the springs, as the internal type won't work as well.

do NOT do what a friend of mine did. He compressed his springs by jacking up the wheel, then he snaked wire in through the coils and twisted it off to hold the spring compresses. Then he jacked up the frame and the spring came out easily. He had a pair laying next to the wall of his garage while he worked on his suspension. One of the wires released. The spring shot across the floor, missing him by inches, and exited through a closed garage door.

Edited by k9sar

do NOT do what a friend of mine did. He compressed his springs by jacking up the wheel, then he snaked wire in through the coils and twisted it off to hold the spring compresses. Then he jacked up the frame and the spring came out easily. He had a pair laying next to the wall of his garage while he worked on his suspension. One of the wires released. The spring shot across the floor, missing him by inches, and exited through a closed garage door.

:rofl: Just had a vivd visual of that event.

I actually snaked the end of one of my ratchet straps down through the top of the spring perch and hooked it on a coil then ratcheted it in just enough to slip over the center of the bottom seat.

You're looking for a spring compressor. Get the kit with 2 pieces that clamp on the outside of the springs, as the internal type won't work as well.

This!! I believe k9sar once said he bought his from Harbour Freight. I can't remember which auto parts store I bought mine from, but they are a common item and should be easy to find.

As for accidents/danger, I have had none (used a dozen times) and feel that they reasonably safe as long as you are careful, patient and follow proper guidelines.

Make sure to grease or oil the threads before using though, they sometimes start to gall otherwise...

B

thanks for the replies guys!

I've tried the spring compressor; couldn't get the rod between the coils and then struct compressors with no luck. The strut compressors that I used (autozone & kragens), the screw was too long and would always bump the mounting brackets. If I could get one that was about 8" long I may have better luck...

Alternately, I think you could take off the brakes and disconnect the e-brake cable from the brakes, that would get you some more droop if the cables are what's holding you up.

I guess I could give that a try. (I do need new brake rotors and pads...I just don't have the bucks at the moment. ).

I'll give this idea a looksee this weekend.

k9sar: Where did you get those brake clips from? I've check HF and didn't see them there.

luis...

k9sar: Where did you get those brake clips from? I've check HF and didn't see them there.

luis...

A friend of mine has been a mechanic for many years. I borrowed them from him.

the single rod compressor that you got wont work, you need the set of 2 compressors that clamp on the outside of the coils (the Checker/Krager Auto near me did not have any for rental). Its the MacPherson compressor

MacPherson Compressor

Ya, the compressor(s) that I rented do come in pairs in the box. What is interesting is that if I ask for "MacPherson Strut Compressor", they go "??? we don't have MacPhersons, we only have strut compressors...." I just ask for struct compressors now. :shrug:

A friend of mine has been a mechanic for many years. I borrowed them from him.
Ah well, it was worth a shot.

But now with some news: between Liquid Wrench, and then reading that you guys use PB Blaster, plus a week to soak, the screws as now loose! :beer::friday:

Now to work on the truck this weekend!

luis...