is my front diff welded?

inmotion

im new to this. just bought a 95 pathfinder se. it seems to have the 3inch calmini lift kit on. warn locking hubs. its got atock lsd in the rear end and dont know what it has in the front. when i put it in 4wd hi/lo or just locking the hubs the steerong just suc. cant turn/ steer its so hard/ stiff. how can find out what it is i have n front? thanks.

im new to this. just bought a 95 pathfinder se. it seems to have the 3inch calmini lift kit on. warn locking hubs. its got atock lsd in the rear end and dont know what it has in the front. when i put it in 4wd hi/lo or just locking the hubs the steerong just suc. cant turn/ steer its so hard/ stiff. how can find out what it is i have n front? thanks.

jack up the front with the rig in 4wd and with the hubs locked if you can turn one wheel and the other side turns in the opposite direction the differential is open, if both wheels want to turn the same way its either welded or has a an LSD or maybe the spider gears are just boogered up. the only othe way is to drop the axle assembly and pull the diff. cover and peek inside.

hmmm. i give that a try whn i get back at my parents place. im currently going to college away from home and have no tools nor place to do it. hopefully this wknd. thanks for the response.

Are you testing this on dry pavement? If you're trying to turn the front in 4hi or lo on dry ground it will be very stiff.

hell i cant hardly drive on dry pavement in 4wd, let alone steer it. if there is any slop in the gears and xfer case you wont go anywhere w/o a little wheel slippage.

Just a note - do NOT use 4x4 without serious wheel slip... I'm talking mud, snow, sleet, freezing rain, ice, sand... something. Do NOT try it on even wet pavement - it's a quick way to bust your t-case...

Just a note - do NOT use 4x4 without serious wheel slip... I'm talking mud, snow, sleet, freezing rain, ice, sand... something. Do NOT try it on even wet pavement - it's a quick way to bust your t-case...

I heard somewhere that as long as you're going perfectly straight and your tires are all the same size and tread, that you can use 4x4 on dry roads. But I don't know what the point is.

maybe my locking hubs are broken? still cant figure it out. today i took my pathy thru some mud puddles, had the 4wd on. and it seems that i cant make left turns at all. right turn was very limited, couldnt make a full right turn its like half a right turn. is it soemthing else? and whn i tried only 2wd with the hubs locked same thing happend. still waiting til this wknd. i work sat. so sun whn i go home i will see if i can find anything wrong.

Locked hubs or not, if you have it in 2WD your wheels are "free"... they aren't connected to the drivetrain...

Something else is up mate. I'd bet on it :) What state ya in? might be easier to have help looking at it :)

had a buddy come over yesterday, who is more familiar with 4wheeling. told him whats going on. we locked the hubs, i got in the truck and turned the wheels. while he stood in front of truck looking under to see the axles and what not. it does the same thing. so then we unlocked the hubs and turned the wheels all the way to the left side, and then locked then hubs. i then steered it to the right side, and there was a click and i was only able to make half of the right turn. and we have concluded that because the truck is lifted the cv axles are stretched downwards, and the joint moves to make turns is limited. after that we took it offroading (gravel, dirt, and mud), to see if it reacts the same. it seems that i only need it to slip in order to make full turns. and had a blast. lol.

in conclusion:

to have full control (steering) of locking hubs works best when wheels can slip such as being in heavy rain, snow, mud, gravel, etc.......

thanks for all the inputs, i really appreciate you guys trying to help. again, im still a noob, so wwhat i wrote might not make sense. lol. when i have time i will take some pics and post what i mean so you guys can see what im talking about.

THANKS ALL!!!!

in conclusion:

to have full control (steering) of locking hubs works best when wheels can slip such as being in heavy rain, snow, mud, gravel, etc.......

:scratchhead: Guess that wasn't fully explained in this thread at least 3 or 4 times....

:scratchhead: Guess that wasn't fully explained in this thread at least 3 or 4 times....

yea but i didnt even go into 4hi/lo. how was i suppose to know that locking hubs in 2wd will react the same as 4wd?

It might make it more difficult than unlocked, but it shouldn't cause the steering to stop short of it's normal "stops" and it should definately not cause binding of any sort... I mean, there shouldn't be anything TO bind with the T-case disengaged, right?

I've got 6" of lift on my truck, and can dry steer it with the hubs locked no problem. You've got some steering component issues.

hmmmm...... so if what you guys are saying is true, then something else is up. can it be the cv axles? or how else can i check? cause like i've been saying, only whn the hubs are locked, and even when im offroad and on like dry dirt, my steering acts the same as on concrete. sigh................

Check your CV's then. When the hubs are unlocked, CV's dont turn... so start there.

For now, keep em unlocked unless you NEED 4x4... prevent any more possible damage.

Check you center link for play. When you have a bad center link and put it in 4wd or just have the hubs locked, you will have no steering especially driving in a straight line. No matter what type of steering correction you do, you'll end up hitting something...