And another one bites the dust

Kittamaru

... well... yeah. Lost my supposedly secure job with the Dept. of State... after only 6 months... guess it makes sense, I was low man on the totem pole and all... if someone was going to get cut I guess it was gonna be me...

*sighs*

Any recommendations? Lol... wedding is in 3 months so I need something post haste and I don't really know what, if anything, I can do about it right now :(:thumbsdown:

Thanks Big Eddie... I owe ya one!

Edited by Kittamaru

Damn man, really sorry to hear that...

As a job suggestion maybe getting a sales job at like Home Depot or some place like that might be stable enough for the next couple months, til your business is taken care of, then you can do what is needed...

I hope so... just applied for a Manager position at U-Haul near me... maybe Slick can give me a recomendation? heh

Best of luck man, I know there is never a good time but especially right before you are getting married is bad...will you get unemployment while you are job hunting? My GF's dad did and he was with the company about 4 months...

Lost my supposedly secure job with the Dept. of State...

Look, nothing personal, but there is no such thing as a 'secure' job. Maybe 'more secure than others', but that is about it. The State Employment is no life long promise and they need to trim fat anyway.

I'm cut back to a minimum of 50% hours as per demand and I am a 1 man department that my company can't function without. I'm sorry Bud, but it is hard all over...

My Recommendation is not to spend more on the wedding than is presently feasible. Have a big BBQ at a relatives house and throw the wedding in; no formal attire or expectations.

Actually, that is my recommendation for anyone. The amount of $ spent doesn't dictate the quality of the marriage, if it is a requirement, run like hell. If a catherdral is required, well, are they going to have rooms for you? I have had friends who were divorced and paying for their marriage!!

Myself, when I get cornered, will get married on a beach somewhere, in shorts with 50 friends who brought enough food to share...

B

Myself, when I get cornered, will get married on a beach somewhere, in shorts with 50 friends who brought enough BEER to share...

sorry ot hear about the loss...keep the head up and if it takes 2-3 small jobs to bring in what the old did...then get to it...if its going to the courthouse to get married and spend no $ then thats what it is...love is love...the $ and wedding dont matter...your trure friends will show up with dinner, beers and a time that isnt to be forgotten...keep that head up

We had been planning on a very small JoP wedding... but when she was given a promotion to corporate and I got this job, we decided it'd be nice to actually have a ceremony. Neither of our parents did (my parents eloped and had a "reception" at pizza hut and never had a honeymoon... now they're lucky to speak to one another without trying to kill each other and my alcoholic father is too damn stubborn to change OR let my mom go so he's dragging her down with him) and her's... well... her father died a number of years ago while she was but 10...

anyway, I dont' know... we didn't want a large production, but a nice little ceremony at the church my grandparents got married at 55+ years ago with them there... it just felt right...

Oh, and no beer please. She doesn't drink and I'm never planning to start given how my father is.

Edited by Kittamaru

B, why cant more people think like you when it comes to weddings?? I had to go thru the entire song and dance of a frou frou wedding I didn't want with my ex... (He wanted it, I planned it and got to pay for it too... what a lucky wife he was.)

All I ever wanted was to run away to get married... something small the only invitees being people who actually care about us. Maybe next time! :D

Kittamaru, sorry to hear bout your job... it sucks... I've been off for almost 8 month now.

heh... well... actually... yeah. Don't have any gear, but I have painted houses before 0o'

@ pezzy - we're not going for anything Super extravagent, but she wants her friends and family there for the ceremony :) We're also doing a slightly more celtic tradition, with a hand-tying ceremony. Graciously my pastor (It's a UCC church) agreed even though it's a little ab-normal for our church :)

Bad news though - because of how new an employee I was, the Union is not able to represent me after all... le'sigh.

EDIT - oh, and precise - that actually bout how many people we're inviting - between close friends and family, it's around 53 including the wedding party (ushers, bridesmaids, et al)

Edited by Kittamaru

Sorry to hear about your job. Do what you have to do to make ends meet for now and start sending out that resume to everyone. It is going to be really hard to get that dream job right now since the country is in such bad shape. It will not last forever though so keep your head up. Precise is right there is no perfectly secured job just some that are more secure than others. I thought my previous job was pretty secure in the oil field but I called some people who worked for the company i did and they have been sitting around waiting for work. I got lucky and got out of there and got a job at a Powerplant. Good thing is it pretty much recession proof. Everybody needs electricity. So my advice is try to look for a job that can survive in hard times. Sounds like your wedding is already planned but maybe you should talk to your fiancee and see if your could either downgrade some stuff or just get married at the courthouse for legality and hold off on the ceromony until you can do it the way you and her want it. My wife and i were were planning on taking the money our parents were going to spend on the wedding and eloping to Vegas for a couple weeks. But my wife ended up wanting a medium sized wedding in a chapel and all. I am happy we did it that way. Good luck to you

Good luck man. I'v been looking for a job for over 6 months and have yet to find anything. I'v only had two interviews, and one was with a marketing pyramid scheme :thumbsdown:

Luckily you have experience so it probably won't be as tough for you. Nobody really wants to hire a fresh college grad right now...

There is always work if you need it. It may not be a career move or what you want to do, but there is always work...

B

Oh I have a job. I'm working for my parents right now. the pay sucks but it's very secure, my parents can't really fire me! :lol:

I'm kind of disillusioned with the whole having wasted 5 years of my life at college though. Turns out I would have been better off working a crappy restaurant job that entire time. At least by now I'd be a manager! :thumbsdown:

FSCK YOU ED RENDEL! YOU AND YOUR DEMANDS TO "cut costs so you can hire in personal friends". I HOPE YOU ROT!

You should edit your thread and drop the quote above. It shows immaturety to employers and co-workers. We had a guy leave and go to another company. It didn't turn out well and he posted something similar on his myspace. He's cleaning up construction sites now. Noone wants to touch him because he's been labeled a hot head.

I wish you the best and hope next move is forward.

Dag

Oh, I'm fine with my position, co-workers, and supervisors... it's big eddies demands to cut costs and then hire in his personal friends that has me (and a lot of Pennsylvanians) pissed off...

Oh, I'm fine with my position, co-workers, and supervisors... it's big eddies demands to cut costs and then hire in his personal friends that has me (and a lot of Pennsylvanians) pissed off...

Yeah, that would frustrate anyone. Favouritism is never unbiased or objective... :thumbsdown:

I'm kind of disillusioned with the whole having wasted 5 years of my life at college though. Turns out I would have been better off working a crappy restaurant job that entire time. At least by now I'd be a manager!

I'll bet in another 5 years you won't feel the same way. It will pay off. It's just a tough time for most people right now. When things level out and stabilize, you will be in better position than that crappy restaurant job worker. Besides, you are just a pup. Patience, young one... :D

B

When my GF's dad lost his job it was literally 3 weeks after the president of the company flew over to America (German based) and told the entire office that no cuts were going to be made...THAT is an asshole move...

And SC88: What did you major in?

When my GF's dad lost his job it was literally 3 weeks after the president of the company flew over to America (German based) and told the entire office that no cuts were going to be made...THAT is an asshole move...

And SC88: What did you major in?

Economics, with a focus in marketing and economies of developing countries. I was hoping to get a job with a non-profit company but they are having even harder of a time than for profit companies right now...

Economics, with a focus in marketing and economies of developing countries. I was hoping to get a job with a non-profit company but they are having even harder of a time than for profit companies right now...

Thank god you didn't say business, I think anybody who isnt going to a Harvard or Yale business school is gonna be in a lot of trouble when they graduate, middle management are the ones hurting the most...