a little worried.

stu

i don't know about 94's but my 89 is slower than new cars on the road, but i don't push it past 3000 rpm ever to save whatever plus gass milage. but my aunt has a 2003 pathfinder and was the second car i ever tried to drive, and that thing took off like a bat out of hell.

Well, that makes sense as HP became a (mid, late?)90's selling point and it took Nissan a while to compete. Even if it was to ferry the kids across town, you can't possibly do that without 250hp!! :rolleyes: (I have a 78 VW Bug that scoots around town just fine with 58hp)

The MPFI of '90+ are a bit more efficient than the TBI models, but not that much. The biggest factor is the lower gearing to offset significant weight and lesser HP. Staying below 3000 rpm helps with gas milage as a general rule, but it depends on many things. Tune ups, engine milage, drive train condition, tire size...

I've gotten a solid 20+ MPG driving across California, climbing 7500 feet and returning, with a fully loaded truck (3 people and enough gear that I couldn't see out of the back) in a 95 with 31" tires. They aren't that bad if they are running well and there aren't many stop and starts. :shrug:

B

i don't know about 94's but my 89 is slower than new cars on the road, but i don't push it past 3000 rpm ever to save whatever plus gass milage. but my aunt has a 2003 pathfinder and was the second car i ever tried to drive, and that thing took off like a bat out of hell.

That uses more gas, as the engine is outside of its torque range where it's performance and economy is at its peak. The engine also has to strain harder to accelerate in lower gears at low RPM.

I've gotten a solid 20+ MPG driving across California, climbing 7500 feet and returning, with a fully loaded truck (3 people and enough gear that I couldn't see out of the back) in a 95 with 31" tires. They aren't that bad if they are running well and there aren't many stop and starts. :shrug:

B

Similar here, I regularly get 18-20mpg on the highway with my 93.

it rides smooth, its quiet, everything works but sadly its slower than any car I have ever owned

dude, it's a TRUCK and not a car. it's not a track car but a 4x4.. if you expected a speed demon off the line.. you made some bad assumptions..

but yeah, do the tuneup at least and check all the other vitals.. you'd be surprised how all that effects the performance.

Similar here, I regularly get 18-20mpg on the highway with my 93.

That one was manual tranny, what is your '93?

You also have a neglected TBI model, fully tuned up and running right you would see 18 no problem. My 88 averages 16-17.

X2(00)

Actually, mzxtreme... the Pathfinder is classified as a Car according to PennDOT regulations...

Fine. A 4000#, 4 wheel drive, 5.5 foot tall car then... :rolleyes:

B

You also have a neglected TBI model, fully tuned up and running right you would see 18 no problem. My 88 averages 16-17.

How would I tune it up...? All the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are new. Along with a hi-flow cat and muffler, O2 sensor, and a few other emissions stuff...

Actually, mzxtreme... the Pathfinder is classified as a Car according to PennDOT regulations...

PennDOT titles SUVs as station wagons, so they are legally in PA cars. As Kittamaru said, keeps turnpike fees down, along with many other things(plate for example-$36.00 for the car plate sure beats $81.00 for a 1/2 ton truck which I know for a fact PA consideres a D21 HB).

Even the autos have enough power to slide the rear end out while moving around a corner. I was pissed, and late, this morning and as I was going around a corner in my neighborhood, I stomped on it and it kicked down to 1st from 2nd (kinda rare that happens, really) and lit up the right drive tire for a good 15 feet before I let it shift. I could feel the rear end starting to slide too.

Neighbors are probably pissed for waking them up at 7am...lazy asses.

Now if only I had my muffler off and did it...muahaha.

That's one thing I don't understand about my '90... I get better MPG highway at 75 than I do at 65...

I also believe my speedo reads 10 MPH fast...

WHAT ARE YOUR RPMS AT 65?

Need to compare to mine.

That one was manual tranny, what is your '93?

B

Both autos.

How would I tune it up...? All the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are new. Along with a hi-flow cat and muffler, O2 sensor, and a few other emissions stuff...

Well, I'm not sure if you have ever seen how bad the carbon can build up inside the intake manifold of the TBIs (I've never checked mine for that matter), but it can get hella nasty in there. Also, have tou done an compression test? Low compression means gutless gas guzzler every time.

On my way home from toronto, I used 4wd for about 440kms. After that the rest was all city driving in Ottawa. When I filled up and did the math, that was 19.7 mpg.

Edited by adamzan

Both autos.

Well, I'm not sure if you have ever seen how bad the carbon can build up inside the intake manifold of the TBIs (I've never checked mine for that matter), but it can get hella nasty in there. Also, have tou done an compression test? Low compression means gutless gas guzzler every time.

I have excellent compression, one cylinder is a little lower than the rest but not too much. And no, I've never checked my TB for carbon buildup. I suppose I should, hadn't thought about that.

At 75mph, I average 2750 rpm steady and the engine has a nice, even, beautiful purr to it.

At 65mph, it's around 2250 rpm and sounds a little... choked?

What the fskc? Mine is at 4000!

Yours is an '87 correct? That's what your profile information says, but then I see your sig says '90...

If yours is a '90 the nevermind...

Edited by kingman92010

I... don't know why my profile says '87 o0'

Strange

EDIT - fixed it :)

And yeah - today I'll be going on the highway a bit, so I'll double check my numbers - they seem low to me 0o'

Edited by Kittamaru

I... don't know why my profile says '87 o0'

Strange

EDIT - fixed it :)

And yeah - today I'll be going on the highway a bit, so I'll double check my numbers - they seem low to me 0o'

Yours has 4 speeds plus overdrive

Mine is just 3 speeds plus lockup