Roof basket

beastpath

Anyone have a garvin wilderness safari rack on their rig like the one found at rocky-road?

Wilderness roof rack

If so does it mount to the existing factory luggage rack?

I've read that the existing rack can only handle up to 80lbs. is this true?

Edited by beastpath

I don't have that brand, but no matter the brand you can get mounts to clamp a basket on your stock bars. You can also buy aftermarket towers and bars that will fit your rack rails that are stouter and will hold more weight if you think it will be an issue.

for anyone with the surco rack and a tire mounted up there:

how did the roof and factory mounts hold up to all the weight? Have you had a full load and the tire up there?

Is the surco weight limited for a specific amount? I couldnt find info online.

I'm debating between the very expensive Garvin and the relatively inexpensive Surco.

Just out of curiosity why does everyone want a tire on their safari rack? It seems like everyone and their dog wants to mount it up there. Wouldn't it be a huge pain if you got a flat and had to get it off your roof? I mean I could see if there is no where else to put it or it was bottoming out when you're off-roading and such or something similar. I tell ya I'd much rather have it in the back on a carrier (like my own) and leave the space on the roof for more gear.

Am I the odd one for seeing it this way or what, or does anyone agree?

-Colby

Just out of curiosity why does everyone want a tire on their safari rack? It seems like everyone and their dog wants to mount it up there. Wouldn't it be a huge pain if you got a flat and had to get it off your roof? I mean I could see if there is no where else to put it or it was bottoming out when you're off-roading and such or something similar. I tell ya I'd much rather have it in the back on a carrier (like my own) and leave the space on the roof for more gear.

Am I the odd one for seeing it this way or what, or does anyone agree?

-Colby

no, i completely agree. I love the look of the spare tire carrier and will continue to use it for my full size spare. But I do want a place for my second full size spare. :D

After dragging mine a couple times on the carrier while offroading, I can see the reason to move it off that location, and had mine up in my basket for a while. I actually bent my carrier the one time.

Another reason, is not all our trucks came with a rear carrier, so it gets the spare out of the cargo area.

for us R50 guys/gals, the biggest tire we can fit underneath is a 30in. i had a 31in under there and found out my track bar was rubbing on it! OEM rear tire carriers are few and far between on an R50, and they can't be retrofitted. so, if we want bigger tires, and a full-size spare, it's either a custom rear tire carrier, putting it in the trunk, or putting it on the roof.

Ah yes, valid points made.

And I see I am not odd! HA oh and having a second spare, good idea!

I'm halfway through gettin safari rack on mine as we speak. I only have to prep a couple more days after work then it'll be ready to spray! Whoo hoo!

-Colby

I have the Garvin Rack mounted on my Pathfinder; however, I used there fiberglass cab mount instead of the factory rails. This requires removing the headliner, drilling, and using some spacers to get it to mount correctly. The end result is a rack that can hold a couple hundred pounds no problem. I have had almost 500lbs up there on some occasions.

I have the Garvin Rack mounted on my Pathfinder; however, I used there fiberglass cab mount instead of the factory rails. This requires removing the headliner, drilling, and using some spacers to get it to mount correctly. The end result is a rack that can hold a couple hundred pounds no problem. I have had almost 500lbs up there on some occasions.

Pictures?

I used to keep my small spare up top in my safari rack, but once i got a full size i knew my current load bars wouldn't support it.

It sits in my back cargo area and takes up a crap ton of space...

I bought off brand Thule load bars, and they definitely aren't gonna last much longer. As soon as i can find some on craigslist that aren't already sold i'm gonna replace the old ones, and put my spare right back up top!. It's not as hard as you may think to take it out. not out of mine at least. I just stand on the rear bumper, and take it out. it's not a big deal at all.

I definitely wish i had the rear tire carrier still, cuz i love that look, and it is alot closer.

I have the off-road rack, not the sport rack. It wouldn't be anything listed for the truck anyway. I ordered a certain size rack with those feet. It's been ages, but let me see if I can find those part numbers.

Those emails are long gone, but I remember the details. The rack is 44" (W) X 48" (L). Mine is also 4" deep. I see that off-road racks are only 6" deep now. So, it's just personal preference whether you want a sport rack or an off-road rack. I would still go with the off-road rack. The fiberglass cap mount you want has the metal backing plate. I think they have one that srews into the fiberglass. You do not want that one. Just let Garvin know that that this is a custom job and that it is not specifically made for the Pathfinder when ordering.

If you go this route I can send you some detailed pics as well. I have done it on two Pathfinders, so I can also give some helpful tips and save you some grief.

Edited by Steve_RI

Those emails are long gone, but I remember the details. The rack is 44" (W) X 48" (L). Mine is also 4" deep. I see that off-road racks are only 6" deep now. So, it's just personal preference whether you want a sport rack or an off-road rack. I would still go with the off-road rack. The fiberglass cap mount you want has the metal backing plate. I think they have one that srews into the fiberglass. You do not want that one. Just let Garvin know that that this is a custom job and that it is not specifically made for the Pathfinder when ordering.

If you go this route I can send you some detailed pics as well. I have done it on two Pathfinders, so I can also give some helpful tips and save you some grief.

Hmm, tempting, but I'm not liking the $650+ price tag for that. Plus 4 light mounts is $100 plus from garvin. I also have the factory rails which I dont want to have to take off.

I'm thinking I could just reinforce the Surco rack with some 1" aluminum square tubes bolted to it. The rack, plus adapters for my factory roof rack, plus 4 light mounts only comes to $390 from Summit. Plus I can take it off easily when I need to.

Either way I gotta make the plunge this week sometimes so I can have everything here in time for spring break

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, I went with the surco and rail adapters so I didnt have to drill or change my stock rack setup. Surco also told me thier rack is rated to 300 lbs, which is more than garvin rated thier pathfinder set up. Still planning on adding extra reinforcement later, but 300 will be more than adequate for my 2nd spare and some miscelaneous gear.

will be installing this thursday along with my Hella 500's. Only cost bout $400 for rack, adapters, and 4 light mounts, which meant i was able to buy a B&M tranny cooler finally :hide: That will go in thurs also.

Sounds good, post some pics when it is installed.

$650 is a lot of cash for a rack. I paid about $450-475 for my setup :scratchhead: . I didn't order it from Garvin, but I forget the website. I don't have light bars, but that would be nice someday. The only adapter I have is for the Thule/Yakima load bars.

ok, so the rack is up, and the lights are attached to it. I ran the wires through the roof easily enough, and I understand how to wire it up correctly.

So that being said.....How do I route the wires through the firewall? Do I need to take apart the dash to do this?

Please say there is an easier way.

ok, so the rack is up, and the lights are attached to it. I ran the wires through the roof easily enough, and I understand how to wire it up correctly.

So that being said.....How do I route the wires through the firewall? Do I need to take apart the dash to do this?

Please say there is an easier way.

I ran power through my firewall via a small hole I drilled for the main power on my rack lights and stereo amps. I drilled on the passenger side of the engine compartment close to some brake lines. I used a small plastic type grommet. I pretty much chose here because it was one of the only places easily drilled also because it came out in the best spot for me. No taking apart of the dash for me for that step but for installing switches or wiring it to a switch requires different degrees of "dash removal". So to answer your question no, unless you want to put in switches or something like that...

I tried taking photos but they didn't turn out very good because it's too dark. I'll take pics tomorrow and post em up for ya.