Pathfinders Any Good For Big Doods?

OllieDixon

First of i am trying to decide between the SUVs in my budget .... a 97/2001 XJ Cherokee, 97 4Runner and a 96/99 Pathfinder. I am looking for a reliable vehicle to go on road/camping trips off the beaten path (all over North America). Xj is domestic and my mindset just screams stay away. The 4Runner i can aford but they are quite a bit more then a pathfinder. Which means less money for mods :(

I doubt i will ever be doing any hard core rock crawling or "wheeling" but you never know what you will come across. Basic mods i will want to do to whatever i buy would be a 2 or 3 inch lift, bigger tires (31s?) and lockers. The rest of the mods will be geared towards an expedition type setup. Which brings me to my questions about the Pathfinder...

1. I am 6'4'' 200 pounds .. Are there any bigger guys here that can comment on what its like in the 2nd gen pathfinder on longer drives?

2. How reliable will they be and are there things you can do preemptively other then the regular stuff you would do on any vehicle?

3. I have been reading about the Warn manual hubs. Sounds like if i bought a Pathfinder i would be doing this at the same time as lifting it. Im not sure i fully understand how they work. This winter i was driving a 2001 F150 and i would switch between 2wd and 4hi whenever i felt like it. Does having the warn hubs mean every time i want to do this i would have to get out and lock? Or can i lock them in my driveway and switch back and forth that way on the way to work? If the front is locked but it is in 2wd.. is that bad? As you can see i am new to 4x4 systems :D heh

I have searched about the Warn hubs and found lots of threads i am still just a little confused.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1. THere are larger folks running in R50 Pathfinders and seem happy

2. The R50 has shown to be very reliable. If you get an earlier one (96-2000) you'll have to keep up on timing belt changes. 2001+ with the VQ35 engine has a timing chain

3. You can lock the warn hubs in your driveway and run around in 2wd as long as you like. The R50's, stock, had fully engaged drive splines from the factory, meaning that the front end always turned, regardless of whether or not you're in 2wd or 4wd.

Welcome to NPORA!!

Simon pretty much covered it... Any doubts you might have about buying a Pathfinder should by aleviated when you realize the sheer number of them sold and still on the road VS in the junkyard.

I also was considering a 4 runner and found the same price difference. I bought a pathfinder (or two) and have never been sorry. I recommend you do the same...

Whatever you get, make sure to change all fluids and give it a basic tune up (unless there is proof it has been done recently). This sets a maintenance schedule and familiarizes you with the truck. Sometimes you notice things (good or bad) you didn't before buying it.

B

I am just above 6'3", my 97SE with the sunroof would barely fit me, when my buzz cut got a little longer it would touch the roof and annoy me, with my 01 (I assume same overall setup just different materials) I have plenty of room with the seat adjusted all the way up, whereas in my 97 I had to adjust it all the way down, which felt funny in an SUV...

Basically I wouldn't get a sunroof equipped model and you will be set...

If you are looking at pathfinders, in the 99/2000 range, spend the extra for an 01 - 04 with a more powerful engine and go for the 5 speed. (here is my one year review FWIW: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20357)

I am 6'1 200lbs and I wished the seat went down more. You will have enough headroom if you like the seat reclined, but if not, it'll be tight at best, no hats. Maybe the sunroof takes away headroom, but I don't have much room at all. As is with most Japanese vehicles I have sat in, the seat base is shorter than American seats by a little bit.

I suspect all trucks will have this problem for you: the tail gate when open will take you out in the forehead. These vehicles were either designed by or designed for short to average people.

Don't get me wrong, love my pathy. Just some little things like that and no tilt steering wheel available that are let downs compared to american vehicles. But then overall reliability is decent (not perfect) and likely better than most comparable american versions.

Edited by BowTied

Don't get me wrong, love my pathy. Just some little things like that and no tilt steering wheel available that are let downs compared to american vehicles. But then overall reliability is decent (not perfect) and likely better than most comparable american versions.

No tilt steering?!?!? WTF?!?! Pezzy's R50 has it, and hers is base.

This one looks very nice !! as for the valve screws, I don't think there's an easy way to check...but considering the ammount of damage ($$$) they can do if not done, I woulnd't even blink about veryfying myself or paying a mecanic an hour or 2 to have them done... changing an engine is not what i call an acceptable risk :-)

On mine I was lucky..the owner was a mechanic at infiniti and he showed me the screws that he had just replaced the week before I bought it....

go nissan...i bet you won't regret it...

I know this doesnt necessarily apply but my old roommate is 6'4 and 250lbs but he rode shotgun many times in my 87 and 95 and he fit pretty good and I just called him up and he's actually been looking at getting a WD21...if you're looking at a 96 I think for me a 95 would be better or an Xterra since they have frames...I've had/driven a pathfinder since i was 16 (9 years) and the only reason I have a toyota as a daily driver is nissan wouldnt work on a price on their cars

Good luck...hope to see you around the boards in hte future

Guys guys guys, read what I wrote - no tilt steering wheel. Sure, it has a tilt column - which is a totally useless piece of crap in comparison to a real tilt wheel. That is something GM got totally right. Again, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my pathy, just a few little things that would be nice to improve.

Thanks guys.

I might go take a look at this one on Saturday .. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/ctd/1029311147.html

Is there an easy way to check for the power valve screw issue? Anything else i should look for?

Lax has it right, same reason I suggested go for a manual trans - no power valve screws (at least all evidence presented to date indicates that).

That looks sweet, am I right that the two tone flares and such was an '01 only thing? I like that!

I also like those SE rims, one of the better looking rims for a "tough" look compared to the other 01-04 rims available IMO. And I recall reading here somewhere (I think?) that those rims will fit manual hub upgrades.

IIRC, the '01s had a recall for real lift gate cylinders or something like that for something to look for. All the 01-04s have (maybe other years) have the door lower window weather strip problem where the metal inside rusts. May be less of an issue in your climate? The CD players are known to fail too.

Good luck, let us know if you pick it up!

Lax has it right, same reason I suggested go for a manual trans - no power valve screws (at least all evidence presented to date indicates that).

That looks sweet, am I right that the two tone flares and such was an '01 only thing? I like that!

I also like those SE rims, one of the better looking rims for a "tough" look compared to the other 01-04 rims available IMO. And I recall reading here somewhere (I think?) that those rims will fit manual hub upgrades.

IIRC, the '01s had a recall for real lift gate cylinders or something like that for something to look for. All the 01-04s have (maybe other years) have the door lower window weather strip problem where the metal inside rusts. May be less of an issue in your climate? The CD players are known to fail too.

Good luck, let us know if you pick it up!

I believe you are correct on the titanium tinted flairs and bumpers, the LE for 01 was color matched and every other year got color matched...

Also, not only will those wheels fit the hubs, the stock center cap can fit back on the wheel over the hubs (at least the Warns)

Guys guys guys, read what I wrote - no tilt steering wheel. Sure, it has a tilt column - which is a totally useless piece of crap in comparison to a real tilt wheel. That is something GM got totally right. Again, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my pathy, just a few little things that would be nice to improve.

I seem to recall that my wd21 has the same kind of tilting deal as my friends GM vehicles.... You can make it feel like a bus in mine.

I believe you are correct on the titanium tinted flairs and bumpers, the LE for 01 was color matched and every other year got color matched...

Also, not only will those wheels fit the hubs, the stock center cap can fit back on the wheel over the hubs (at least the Warns)

mine is '00 and i have red with the silver flares/bumpers.

No, that was available 99.5-2001. 2002 and later were mono-tone.

I'm not as tall as you are, 5'11, but I drove my 99 3.3L Automatic from Arizona to DC in 3 days, solo, and had no issues. They're actually quite comfortable on long trips and surprisingly stable at triple-digit plus speeds...I was in Kansas, and there was a Tornado....

No, that was available 99.5-2001. 2002 and later were mono-tone.

I'm not as tall as you are, 5'11, but I drove my 99 3.3L Automatic from Arizona to DC in 3 days, solo, and had no issues. They're actually quite comfortable on long trips and surprisingly stable at triple-digit plus speeds...I was in Kansas, and there was a Tornado....

haha, 2 summers ago, we went to 8 national parks (yellowstone, grand teton, arches/moab, guadalupe, big bend, etc.), driving 6200mi in 2.5 weeks. we got the oil changed in canon city, colorado. anyway, the biggest complaint (other than our avg 12mpg) was the lack of trunk space. passenger room was acceptable, but not the best. and i'm not kidding when i say the back seat sucks! regardless, when do we ever ride in the back seat of our own vehicles? the front seats are more than adequate, and i never had any soreness. the longest stint on the road was 18hrs straight, stopping only for fuel/food. like vengeful said, it's surprisingly comfortable.

as for triple-digit speeds. my pathfinder is governed at 96mph. and by governed i mean it just doesn't have the power to go any faster. :D

disclaimer: i'm a short asian, but my white friends are tall. ;)