%^&*#! monster coolant leak from the rear top

94extreme

ok, i got a leak that i can't even keep up trying to fill the rad. it's somewhere in the back of the motor (vg30E) but above the block. i can see some hoses coming from that direction (both metal and rubber) and the do go to the heater core inside. not sure where the other ends go. any ideas?

if any one has a pic of the back of the motor while out of the truck or just did something in that area, i'd surely appreciate your input. i was hoping i don't have to remove the intake but it's freaking tight back there. grrr..

thanks.

Isn't there some little hose that goes from the block to the intake? I think a few people have had problems with them recently. IIRC it is hard to do without pulling the intake. Do what Dave said and you should find a leak that size. Then bite the bullet and change all the hoses back there for good luck... :shrug:

B

I had trouble with that hose Precise. its a Little tiny Elbow that sits right beside the Distributer. Mine somehow punctured and it leaked FAST. I know your saying rear but mine was leaking in the front AND rear. Followed the top of the block back and started pissing all over the place. Its a REAL paint to get at and I hope you like removing the timing cover cause that's about the only way I was able to get it off. As usual, its a 13 dollar part and a 3 hour + pain in the a$$. Good luck.

Edited by Dowser

it's not the hoses but something that they attach to? and thanks for the #6 advice. i did the plugs not all that many miles ago but will be checking all of the anyway.

maybe i cracked the intake or at least the area where the hoses attach is busted up. hmm.. i'll keep you posted. thanks guys.

so, no one has a pic?

I had trouble with that hose Precise. its a Little tiny Elbow that sits right behind the Distributer.

Thats the coolant bypass hose. Yeah, it is a PITA and is usually replaced when you change the timing belt due to the location. Thats not the one I'm talking about though...

B

:scratchhead: I thought the bypass hose was on the opposite side from the distributor?

a friend told me that he found a similar thing on XOC. i'm just waiting for the link. i hate going there otherwise. lol

I have a spare intake laying in my garage if you need a picture of the back of it
sure. but i also have a couple of questions. do these heads and intake have freeze plugs? where? if the do. thanks k9sar

Slick (where has she been anyway) did a write up on that hose I thought

yeah, no kidding. i was thinking she'd have the info i need as she, at least, used to have multiple engines on stands. :) i'll txt her in a bit and see what's up.

thanks guys.

• 3 months later...

k9, do you have a pic of the lower intake out of the car? i didn't find the leak in the upper part. the way this was leaking, it should be very noticeable.. nothing... all the freeze plugs and hoses/pipes seem just fine..

now i am wondering where this could be an issue on the lower part.. hope it's not a b to remove like the upper part was.

I've seen small slits that were very hard to notice unless you flex the line the right way or it is leaking. Same thing with pinches under/next to clamps on the back side of fittings, etc. Just make sure to inspect VERY closely...

B

i'm going to have to.. looking for a cork to plug the lower pump hose. i think the upper may be ok open.. i don't think i need pressure.. it was leaking faster then i could pour it in the rad opening. we'll see.. not looking forward to making a bigger mess in the garage but it beats removing the stuff i don't need to remove.

thanks B..

P... damn it.. it's leaking somewhere below the lower intake.. P... i can't see it.. too dark in there and freaking tight.. now, i need to read up..

any suggestions that are related to me having to open up the top end would be appreciated.. it's been ages since i messed with vg.. the other was tbi too..