Additional Fog Lights

abomb1

Do I need a relay when adding another set of driving lights? The kit didn't come with a relay, but I want to make sure I add it if I should have one. The lights came with 55W H3's, but I bought some 100W bulbs to put into it instead. What will the relay solve that the fuse won't? Just less chances of a fuse going out? I would like to finish this tonight, so any advice would be great.

a relay should always be used in lieu of just piggy-backing other systems ... this insures a low draw current from the system you are drawing from, and still allows it to be switched with other system(s) at the same time, or be switched independantly ...

using only a fuse is not enough in most cases

I would recommend using a relay

on driving Lights, you should ALLWAYS Relay them. Lets look at this From a Power Consumption 200watt light kit. using Ohm's Law, (watts/Volts =amps) 200/12 is 16.6 Amps. 14 Gage wire is JUST Tolerant Enough to Handle this. now Imagine Another 110 watts from the OTHER set of lights... (another 8.4 Amps +16.6 amps = 25 Amps) a 30 amp Fuse would work Here. (I know some would say, use a 25 amp, But unless its a SLow blo, it will not really tolerate the current during Rampup). So to do this Right, get a Relay that is able to handle 30 amps on the SUPPLY side. Fuse it RIGHT AT THE BATTERY, In case you wack something (or Someone) and Short the wiring. I PERSONALLY would put a Breakout box near the Lights in the Front. Run 10 or 12 Gage Wire to the breakout Box and 14-16 to EACH Light. I Know it Sounds Elaborate, but when do Get a Good lead off of the battery with a Good Relay, They are Brighter, and Dont Heat up the wires. Some one here is going to read this and Go, ARE YOU NUTZ, but This is the TRUE Right way to Wire them. Ive Done a lot of Wiring for 12v, 24v and Residential/Commerical Electric applications. When I Rewired my dads 79 Peterbuilt i Did Simiar wiring for Headlights, Driving Lights, Load Lights ETC and he NEVER Had a Problem with the Wiring, and he used to run a lot of the systems all day long.

PS. what i mean by a breakout box is a small Box that Takes a Heavy gage wire, and Allows you to distribute it to multiple devices. Some are Fused, some arent. They are also called Distribution Boxes, or simply some call it a fuse box. radioshack sells them with Gold Contacts and such. just mount it where it will remain Clean and dry! good luck

You're right, JmCardamone. Going bigger and doing it the right way is always better than using smaller wiring and being less safe. Running power from the battery through a cheap switch and then back out to the lights is a sure recipe for a failed switch and hot wiring, with the possibility of a fire under the hood or dash. Use a relay, definitely.

I wired it all last night and it works great! One question though, my relay had 2 87 prongs, so 5 prongs all together. I only used one of the 87's to go to the foglights and left the other one unused. This shouldn't cause any problems should it? I tried running each light off from each of the 87 prongs, but one of the lights didn't work then. So next I thought maybe I should just ground the unused 87 - that just blew the fuse. Finally ended up leaving it unused and all seems good in the foglight world that lives inside my Pathy. Thanks to everyone for the advice. :beer:

Ok similar question, I picked up a piaa light and am plannin on using it for an aux back up light. Same idea than I'd assume, relay it.

Yes, use a relay here. I hooked mine back-up lights and tapped into the stock back-up light for the switched source for the relay. Quick, easy, no switches to screw with.

• 1 year later...

Here ya go:

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/electrical/body_relays.html

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/electronic_com...onents_cont.htm

Basically, there are 4 connections:

ground

switch*

batt +12vDC (fused)

+ to aux circuit (ie. lights)

In the above example, the switch should be tapped into a +12vDC source such as the cig. lighter circuit, the parking lamps or headlight switch.

Edited by XPLORx4

I wired it all last night and it works great! One question though, my relay had 2 87 prongs, so 5 prongs all together. I only used one of the 87's to go to the foglights and left the other one unused. This shouldn't cause any problems should it? I tried running each light off from each of the 87 prongs, but one of the lights didn't work then. So next I thought maybe I should just ground the unused 87 - that just blew the fuse. Finally ended up leaving it unused and all seems good in the foglight world that lives inside my Pathy. Thanks to everyone for the advice. :beer:

One of those prongs is probably NC (normaly closed) which means it acts like a closed switch when there is no power to the relay. That's probably why one of your lights wasn't on. You can add one relay for each light, but it's not necessary. Both lights should be able to run of the one prong no problem.

Denis

where is the best/easiest place to tap into for the low current (for the switch) on a 94

Depends on what you are trying to do. If you're running "regular" driving/fog lights, you'd probably want to tap either the parking light or low beam circuits, or maybe high beam if you're running monster power or off road driving lights that only come on with the highs. Pretty straight forward: low beam circuit in general to power the lights, or parking light circuit if you want to run the lights with parking lights but no headlights (check your local laws, as this can be a no-no). This could also cover roof lights, as you'd probably want them off with your main lights, so if you turn off the main lights the roof goes as well. If you're looking for back up trail lights, you'd want to tap into the back-up light circuit to activate the relay, but if they're up high like on the roof, also install a switch so around town you're not blinding the little lady behind you at the grocery store while in reverse. Many local laws allow extra back up lights down low at bumper level; up high is pushing it from what I've heard, but what should set you fine in the eyes of the law is that your lights are only powered when you're in reverse (so you don't hit the lights on a tailgaiter).

Edited by Mr. Pickles