No more Rough Country UCAs? what do i do!

zeppelindrummer

I see those have holes for grease fittings

I see you also sell the calmini, do the new calmini UCA's come with grease fittings?

The calmini ones didn't used to, but from what i hear, they do now. I can double check on monday.

Not only are they overpriced POSs, you also have to re-engineerd them your self.

well thats retarded.

good thing i got my rough countrys!!! they're in the mail, and should be here early next week.

and thanks again everybody for all ur help!

Edited by zeppelindrummer

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry i haven't been back in a while with an update but here we go!

I got the Rough Country kit from Rocky Mountain Suspension Products. It was 328.99, or somethin very very close to that. I've got the new front shocks, and control arms on, and let me tell ya..... i LOVE the shocks. THey are a huge improvement from what i used to have... (the 22 year old stock shocks, haha) and i cranked the t-bars to give me around the 3 inches. My front was pretty saggy to begin with, so it's only a bout an inch higher than the stock rear right now.

I haven't put the back on, because i've had strep... in fact, i had strep while i was puttin on the front, and it was killin me. I finished that, and luckily i'm thinkin the rear will be a bit easier.

A big problem i ran into though while doing the front was a problem with the threads on the both of the bars that hold the bushings that go inside the new upper control arms. I didn't wanna search the junkyard, or buy new parts and hope the threads are good, so i finally splurged and bought a new tap and die set. (i've needed them before, and never got one cuz i didn't want just a small kit, and the bigger ones are a little pricey)

It was almost 80 bucks at Harbor Freight, but its a HUGE kit, and is actually very high quality, works very well, and i used it for more than just those threads when putting the new control arms, and shocks on.

Overall i'm very happy with the fronts results from the kit. Didn't have any trouble other than fixing those threads, and I'm hoping to get the rear on this weekend, i've gotten over my bug, and it hopefully wont be too tough.

I'll post before and after pictures soon as i'm done!

-Zepp

Hey guys, sorry i haven't been back in a while with an update but here we go!

I got the Rough Country kit from Rocky Mountain Suspension Products. It was 328.99, or somethin very very close to that. I've got the new front shocks, and control arms on, and let me tell ya..... i LOVE the shocks. THey are a huge improvement from what i used to have... (the 22 year old stock shocks, haha) and i cranked the t-bars to give me around the 3 inches. My front was pretty saggy to begin with, so it's only a bout an inch higher than the stock rear right now.

I haven't put the back on, because i've had strep... in fact, i had strep while i was puttin on the front, and it was killin me. I finished that, and luckily i'm thinkin the rear will be a bit easier.

A big problem i ran into though while doing the front was a problem with the threads on the both of the bars that hold the bushings that go inside the new upper control arms. I didn't wanna search the junkyard, or buy new parts and hope the threads are good, so i finally splurged and bought a new tap and die set. (i've needed them before, and never got one cuz i didn't want just a small kit, and the bigger ones are a little pricey)

It was almost 80 bucks at Harbor Freight, but its a HUGE kit, and is actually very high quality, works very well, and i used it for more than just those threads when putting the new control arms, and shocks on.

Overall i'm very happy with the fronts results from the kit. Didn't have any trouble other than fixing those threads, and I'm hoping to get the rear on this weekend, i've gotten over my bug, and it hopefully wont be too tough.

I'll post before and after pictures soon as i'm done!

-Zepp

I will be installing the same kit next weekend, Want to know if you ran into any problems so I have a heads up on what to expect, and how did you get the bushings out of the old upper control arm to get the spindal out.

I will be installing the same kit next weekend, Want to know if you ran into any problems so I have a heads up on what to expect, and how did you get the bushings out of the old upper control arm to get the spindal out.

The only problem i ran into was the spindle inside the UCAs having it's threads junked up. I had to use a tap and die set to fix them.

Getting the new bushings on the spindle, and inside the control arm also can be a little time consuming, and takes some effort.

A rubber mallot on the end of the spindle works okay to knock em loose whileresting the old control arm so the holes that the bushings go in are on a pipe that is about the same diameter as the hole on the control arm, just pound on it. This is one way i used to get them in as well.

To get them in, you can also take the the old bushings and put them on top of the new ones, to hammer them in, the center metal cylinder is the exact size, so that works good to knock em down.

-------\ \

---------\ \

-----------\ \

------------l l <--------- UCA

-----------/ /

---------/ /

-------/ /

-----# #

-----# #

-----# #

-----# #

-----# #

-----# # <---Pipe

-----# #

-----# #

-----# #

You can also get them in, by pushing the bushing on just enough so you have some threads, and you can put the big washer back on, and screw the nut down the spindle to suck the new bushing on. (put a long screwdriver through the hole of the spindle to keep it from spinning when tightening the nut)

Any other questions, just ask. Pretty much everything is very fresh in my mind still. If you have the stock shocks, they kinda suck to get out too.

But what job has everything go right?

Also, just remembered, if you have a good long X tire iron, it'll work good for the bolts that holds the spindle to the truck.

-Zepp

Edited by zeppelindrummer

The only problem i ran into was the spindle inside the UCAs having it's threads junked up. I had to use a tap and die set to fix them.

Getting the new bushings on the spindle, and inside the control arm also can be a little time consuming, and takes some effort.

A rubber mallot on the end of the spindle works okay to knock em loose whileresting the old control arm so the holes that the bushings go in are on a pipe that is about the same diameter as the hole on the control arm, just pound on it. This is one way i used to get them in as well.

To get them in, you can also take the the old bushings and put them on top of the new ones, to hammer them in, the center metal cylinder is the exact size, so that works good to knock em down.

-------\ \

---------\ \

-----------\ \

------------l l <--------- UCA

-----------/ /

---------/ /

-------/ /

-----# #

-----# #

-----# #

-----# #

-----# #

-----# # <---Pipe

-----# #

-----# #

-----# #

You can also get them in, by pushing the bushing on just enough so you have some threads, and you can put the big washer back on, and screw the nut down the spindle to suck the new bushing on. (put a long screwdriver through the hole of the spindle to keep it from spinning when tightening the nut)

Any other questions, just ask. Pretty much everything is very fresh in my mind still. If you have the stock shocks, they kinda suck to get out too.

But what job has everything go right?

Also, just remembered, if you have a good long X tire iron, it'll work good for the bolts that holds the spindle to the truck.

-Zepp

Thanks for the reply was just what I was looking for. On the shocks I have rough country 8000 shocks for all 4 corners.

Finished the resta my lift today,

I'll have some pics up soon

hows urs comin BoneZ?

I have all the shock bushings in and the upper control arms all assembled with the spindals I got from the junk yard. So now I wait tell tomorrow night to start the actual install. I have one freind coming over to help. We are both good mechanics, garage all set up inpact guns are out and ready to go. I do not think this will take use to long to do. The body lift I am doing as well though will wait intell my freinds shop with a lift is open to use.

I have all the shock bushings in and the upper control arms all assembled with the spindals I got from the junk yard. So now I wait tell tomorrow night to start the actual install. I have one freind coming over to help. We are both good mechanics, garage all set up inpact guns are out and ready to go. I do not think this will take use to long to do. The body lift I am doing as well though will wait intell my freinds shop with a lift is open to use.

Planed on taking pics while i was doing the lift but the battery's in camera were dead, Got the lift in but I need to redo the front indexing again and go 1 more spline up to get the besired hight, although It is sitting with 32-11.5 bfg allterrans on it right now only a little trimming was needed. I still need new shocks for the rear I can easily max out the ones on it now.

Very nice dude. so the 32s run fine? i've got 31s, and i didn't take a before pick :(

so i found as close to a decent before as i could... here they are!

I'm definitely gonna wanna get some new rear shocks too. I'm stickin with what i have for now though. The ones that come with the Hardbody kit could definitely go bigger, they are the same size as stock.

Before:

SDC10952.jpg

After:

DSC00507.jpg

my front was especially saggy, and i forgot to get mudflaps or anything for the JGC coils in the rear. I'm going to get some 1" spacers though, and lift the rear a little bit more.

I'm definitely happy with the look now!

While i was under the pathy, the exhaust pipe and muffler seemed to constantly be in the way, so i put my 10 dollar harbor freight angle grinder to use and just chopped it off :)

even though i have a bad tick from my manifold, the lack of muffler definitely adds a good low end to the mix of my loud pathy.

Very nice dude. so the 32s run fine? i've got 31s, and i didn't take a before pick :(

so i found as close to a decent before as i could... here they are!

I'm definitely gonna wanna get some new rear shocks too. I'm stickin with what i have for now though. The ones that come with the Hardbody kit could definitely go bigger, they are the same size as stock.

Before:

SDC10952.jpg

After:

DSC00507.jpg

my front was especially saggy, and i forgot to get mudflaps or anything for the JGC coils in the rear. I'm going to get some 1" spacers though, and lift the rear a little bit more.

I'm definitely happy with the look now!

While i was under the pathy, the exhaust pipe and muffler seemed to constantly be in the way, so i put my 10 dollar harbor freight angle grinder to use and just chopped it off :)

even though i have a bad tick from my manifold, the lack of muffler definitely adds a good low end to the mix of my loud pathy.

I almost tried putting those shocks in as well but then I realized that the pair that were already in were 1" longer.I still need longer shocks but I have ac 3" coils not the JGC coils like you. I also had to trim a little bit in the font corner of front fender. This week or weekend depending on how motivated I am I plane to put in my pitman arm brace steering stabilizer and my manual hubs, then when I got the help the body lift. then I will be able to fit my swampers for wheeling.