My odometer stop working, any ideas on how to fix?

zack1978

Hi everyone,

My 1995 SE-V6 has 182,500 miles on, and the odometer just stopped working last night. I filled up the gas tank, and I reset the trip odometer as I usually do, and I drove off. The trip odometer worked for 1.9 miles and then stopped working. When the trip odometer stopped working, so did the regular odometer. I attempted to reset the trip odometer, and it did go back to zero, however neither odometer works now. Any ideas on a fix? Is this a common issue with the Pathfinders? I would rather not swap out an odometer from another truck.

Thanks,

Zack

Check the electrical connections on the back of the cluster. That's the first place I'd look.

The weired thing is that the exact same thing happened to my 96 Maxima, in the exact same fashion. On the Maxima the odo is mechanical not electric, I am assuming the Path is the same way? On the Max it was dead for about two weeks then it just started working again. On the Max it works until the trip odo gets to about 700 miles, then it stops again. Now in order to get it working again, all you need to do is reset the trip odo.

Zack

I had this same problem happen on my 93 (just the trip broke) nd now on my 92 the trip and speedo quit. I think its the gears in the cluster get messed up. I am currently searching form a 92 cluster from a manual

I had this same problem happen on my 93 (just the trip broke) nd now on my 92 the trip and speedo quit. I think its the gears in the cluster get messed up. I am currently searching form a 92 cluster from a manual

Is there a fix for this other than getting a new cluster? How would one go about fixing the geras?

Thanks,

Zack

yeah i thought your was electronic but i think im my case i can buy the gears and put them in but the dealer by me wants 190 ofr the gears and thats not including labor to put them in so im definalty doing it myself. yours might just need a new sensor i didnt notice yours was a 94+

Check the electrical connections on the back of the cluster. That's the first place I'd look.

Exactly. Make sure to tighten the little brass screws; they are the source for the ground circut IIRC.

B