Steering is loose

adamzan

I did a quick search and didn't find anything. My steering seems to have what I think is a lot more than the normal amount of play. The ball joints, center link and inner tie rods are new. The idler arm and outer tie rods are good. As I wiggle the steering wheel a bit, the tires don't really move. Funny as when its really cold (read -35) the play is almost gone. I was told the "steering gear" may be worn out or damaged but I have no idea what that is.

The truck drives straight and they didn't say anything when they did the 4 wheel alignment....

I hear a certain amount of play is normal, like an inch or so (correct me if I'm wrong guys). I've driven three different WD21 pathys and they all had a certain amount of play. One owner who had his from new said that he had play when it was new.

But, yes, your steering box may be worn.

I hear a certain amount of play is normal, like an inch or so (correct me if I'm wrong guys). I've driven three different WD21 pathys and they all had a certain amount of play. One owner who had his from new said that he had play when it was new.

But, yes, your steering box may be worn.

I expect a little play, but this actually feels loose. I thought the new parts were supposed to fix this! :scratchhead:

Do I even want to know if it's worth replacing the steering box?

you can align the rear wheels? :scratchhead:

x2 I thought a rear just points foward.

anyway, my pathy has always had about an inch, I considered it to keep it form being jerky @ speed. when I installed a HooHaa CL the play went down some and the response quickened but its not jerky either.

What have you done to test steering components? I suspect the idler arm, personally. Unless you're just being paranoid about the "dead zone" in the steering when it's centered.

The steering box can be adjusted if that is where the play is.

Might also check the rag joint by the firewall, it has a piece of rubber in there to allow the column to colapse in a crash, it might be worn (doubtful, but never know).

What have you done to test steering components? I suspect the idler arm, personally. Unless you're just being paranoid about the "dead zone" in the steering when it's centered.

I have replaced most of them, the centerlink, tie rods and such. Just before I came down to Mississauga actually. I know there is a dead zone, but it has become larger than it was when I got the truck. The idler arm, I did what you said, had someone turn the wheel and watched it. It didn't twist or move in the wrong way.

GG is it difficult to adjust the steering box? The pitman arm is the one connected to it right? I found that when i reached in and turned the wheel just in the play, the pitman arm didn't even move. That is what leads me to believe the CL and tie rods are good, that and they are new lol.

I had a friend mess his up trying to adjust his on his HB. IIRC in the very basics, you loosen a nut, tweak the screw it is on, then reset the nut. What it does is draws the gears closer so there is less play between the teeth. If you have a Haynes manual, read 11-17 and 11-18.

I seem to remember that any adjustment is minor relative to the screw rotation. 1/16-1/8 turn type thing...

When you are checking for slop in the box, do you have the truck running? I'm not sure what difference the pressure would make, but you may want to check it. I'd want to mimic driving conditions. :shrug:

My steering shaft has some play (not running), but it has perfectly acceptable response and control when I'm driving without being twitchy so I'm not touching it for now.

B

I had a friend mess his up trying to adjust his on his HB. IIRC in the very basics, you loosen a nut, tweak the screw it is on, then reset the nut. What it does is draws the gears closer so there is less play between the teeth. If you have a Haynes manual, read 11-17 and 11-18.

Yeah I have one. Do you mean it will actually be useful for once? :lol:

I seem to remember that any adjustment is minor relative to the screw rotation. 1/16-1/8 turn type thing...

When you are checking for slop in the box, do you have the truck running? I'm not sure what difference the pressure would make, but you may want to check it. I'd want to mimic driving conditions. :shrug:

My steering shaft has some play (not running), but it has perfectly acceptable response and control when I'm driving without being twitchy so I'm not touching it for now.

B

Yes, I did it with the truck running. When you are on the highway, and change lanes, you have to move the wheel quite a bit just to prevent it from going too far to the other side.

This is all good info. I hope the box will take an adjustment and that the worm gear isn't worn out.