Sagging doors

prginocx

'95 Pathy 5spd, 3.0V6 4X4. 98k miles

Plus there is a lot of wear only on the top of the pin where it latches to close. The guy at the Dealership said something I didn't understand about adjusting the straps ? I thought it was time to replace the bushings in the door hinge pins...Am I on the right track ? Is this for sure a 2 guy job ?

Edited by prginocx

I sort of have this same problem on my 92 pathy. the black rubber on the latch is pretty chewed up. Would this also have anything to do with my locks randomly locking? Like say i get it half the time when i close my door all my doors lock. Is that normal? My old pathfinder did the same. It has locked my keys in there a few times due to that.

IIRC GrimGreg did this fairly simply himself by nailing up a frame/brace/support to hold the door in its proper place... :shrug:

B

Yep, a jack stand and a ratchet strap. Just roll down the window and put the ratchet strap around the top of the door and off the roof rack, garage rafter, or tree limb. Then set a jackstand so that it is about 1"-2" below the back end of the door (put a rag in the stand if you are worried about scratching the paint).

The door will have movement, but not enough to get unweildy while you work.

I sort of have this same problem on my 92 pathy. the black rubber on the latch is pretty chewed up. Would this also have anything to do with my locks randomly locking? Like say i get it half the time when i close my door all my doors lock. Is that normal? My old pathfinder did the same. It has locked my keys in there a few times due to that.

Could be, my locks jambed on my 88 last winter and it turned out to be that black plastic had "clogged" the mechanism.

really? hmm werid ok my 93 didnt have that plastic on it and it still did it. Ill look and see if its the black plastic in ther becasue it seems to do it more when its cold and not so much when its warm out. But it still does it every once in a while. how far back did the plastic go? was is visable from just looking at the side of the door

Yep, a jack stand and a ratchet strap. Just roll down the window and put the ratchet strap around the top of the door and off the roof rack, garage rafter, or tree limb. Then set a jackstand so that it is about 1"-2" below the back end of the door (put a rag in the stand if you are worried about scratching the paint).

The door will have movement, but not enough to get unweildy while you work.

Ok, I thought it was a little more than that, but I can see how that would work just fine...

B

really? hmm werid ok my 93 didnt have that plastic on it and it still did it. Ill look and see if its the black plastic in ther becasue it seems to do it more when its cold and not so much when its warm out. But it still does it every once in a while. how far back did the plastic go? was is visable from just looking at the side of the door

It was the black plastic coating the latch ring on the door jamb, it had worn away and a piece of it tore off and lodged in the latch.

'95 Pathy 5spd, 3.0V6 4X4. 98k miles

Plus there is a lot of wear only on the top of the pin where it latches to close. The guy at the Dealership said something I didn't understand about adjusting the straps ? I thought it was time to replace the bushings in the door hinge pins...Am I on the right track ? Is this for sure a 2 guy job ?

My 92 XE drivers door was bad we had to drill out the bushings they were so seized up so if your going to i would suggest replacing the bushings and snap rings while your at it.