Safari Rack

veilside180sx

The only racks I've seen are mounted on the gutters, which I'm not that fond of. I think the two setups were both Yakima racks, from the details I could glean.

Does anyone have something other than that mounted on their WD21?

Ideally I'd like mine to have a ladder to get up on to the roof to access the equipment up there. I camp/fish/hike and it'd be nice to keep the equipment covered on top, rather than inside. If I store it inside then I can only take one other person. (I'm looking for ideas currently, but will build whatever I decide myself)

I got mine from www.discountramps.com for about $100 but I am still in the process of coming up with a way to mount it to my stock roof rack but its not bad and it was pretty cheap.

I don't have a factory roof rack, so i'm going to have to work something up no matter what happens.

Is 200 lbs the normal max load for these racks?

Edited by veilside180sx

I don't have a factory roof rack, so i'm going to have to work something up no matter what happens.

Just go to the auto wreckers see if you can find a factory rack just use some good silicone and it'll make life a little easier. cause with mine that's where my spare is going cause i hate the rear carrier don't like having a tire taking up the whole window hahaha

200-250 is normal rated load. It really depends on the heft of the particular basket, sqft of floor in it, and how you have it mounted.

You ought to see if Vengful still has his for sale in the classified forum, his was beefy.

200-250 is normal rated load. It really depends on the heft of the particular basket, sqft of floor in it, and how you have it mounted.

You ought to see if Vengful still has his for sale in the classified forum, his was beefy.

I can make one easily enough, I'm more worried about how to mount it.

I was "hoping" to not have to drill holes in the roof if i don't absolutely have to.

LOL, you don't want a clamp rack and you don't want to drill the roof....guess you gotta wait till they invent an electro-magnetic mount.

Well...I can just as easily build up a pseudo cage that bolts on underneath the car, so the mounts are invisible. I think that's probably a waste of time though.

Guess I'll look for a factory rack, and then build the basket.

I have a Garvin rack mounted to the roof using their fiberglass cap mounting system. I used some zinc washers as spacers, and there is additional drilling involved to tighten the bolts, but I have had 500lbs in this rack with no problem.

post-1666-1231430485_thumb.jpg

I have a Garvin rack mounted to the roof using their fiberglass cap mounting system. I used some zinc washers as spacers, and there is additional drilling involved to tighten the bolts, but I have had 500lbs in this rack with no problem.

Thanks I appreciate the reply.

if you do make your own bolt down mounts make sure your "feet" have a large surface area to spread the weight over the sheet metal, you might also consider a backing plate for the inside to spread the load. if you get some 1/8" neoprene rubber you could cut some rubber gaskets to put between the feet and the roof, if everything is tight you shouldn't have to worry about leaks.

Edited by bitemedoughboy.com

if you do make your own bolt down mounts make sure your "feet" have a large surface area to spread the weight over the sheet metal, you might also consider a backing plate for the inside to spread the load. if you get some 1/8" neoprene rubber you could cut some rubber gaskets to put between the feet and the roof, if everything is tight you shouldn't have to worry about leaks.

Thanks for the advice.

• 2 years later...

can you post it again?

Here are some pics of mine, I have a custom made rack that mounts to my factory roof rack. I think that this is the route you should go, it is the easiest and cheapest in the long run.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

:clap: I really like that rack! Trenton163, can you post pics showing the view from the top and the lighting area better/closer...

I see one similar in my future :beer:

Sure I'll post some up late today for ya

Thats a way slick roof rack! I am looking for something pretty much exactly like that. You said it was custom made for you right? How much did a rack like that cost ya?

Thats a way slick roof rack! I am looking for something pretty much exactly like that. You said it was custom made for you right? How much did a rack like that cost ya?

thats the cool part, I made it with my friend in metal shop when I was in High School, so it didn't cost me anything (except for the spray on bed-liner). But If you buy the metal cheap (mine is 1" square tubing), you can probably take it to someone and have them make it for ya? Try to make friends with someone who welds, that way you can save some money instead of going to a fab shop. :aok:

thats the cool part, I made it with my friend in metal shop when I was in High School, so it didn't cost me anything (except for the spray on bed-liner). But If you buy the metal cheap (mine is 1" square tubing), you can probably take it to someone and have them make it for ya? Try to make friends with someone who welds, that way you can save some money instead of going to a fab shop. :aok:

Smart move man! And now begins the search for welder friends~ haha