Is it worth putting money into her?

RonNC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone always suggest the AC springs over the OME springs? Are the AC ones better? They're surely more expensive. I'm all about spending as little as I have to on my R50.

I'm all about spending as little as I have to on my R50.

I know what you mean. I just want to spend as little as I can to keep it reliable and to make it

better off road. But I think it might get harder to control my spending as time passes.

I think the lift kit and some larger tires will be what the doctor ordered for me once all the suspension

and maintenance stuff is done.

Edited by RonNC

OME doesn't offer a 2" lift coil. As far as I know, AC provides the only option for 2" lift coils for the R50. As far as I know, the springs are designed and produced to the same standards and specifications as those of OME.

And last I checked, OME products are far more expensive than the R50 lift kits available through AC.

I'm lucky so far, my FE has been holding up well. I did the struts.

The most time and money has been into the rear. I did the lower CA bushings, the exhaust, just finished alt and battery and I still need to do the upper CA bushings. I am getting a minor clunking from the front that I need to address soon as well. Other than those little issues, these trucks are built tough and access to replacement parts is getting cheaper and easier. My wife and I came close to selling our Pathy but realized soon enough that it is worth way more to us than anyone else, that's why I say repairing yours is worth it.

• 7 months later...

Well I've replaced the steering rack bushings, rear lower control arms, and the front CVs.

I also rotated, balanced the tires as well as an alignment.

All I can say is what a great improvement in the way it drives. Dare I say like new?

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0478-1.jpg

IMG_0479-1.jpg

How hard was it to replace the steering rack bushings? And where did you get yours from? Mine need replacing bad(sh!t moves an 1" to either side! scary when you turn the steering wheel and nothing happens!)!

Jose

Well I've replaced the steering rack bushings, rear lower control arms, and the front CVs.

I also rotated, balanced the tires as well as an alignment.

All I can say is what a great improvement in the way it drives. Dare I say like new?

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0478-1.jpg

IMG_0479-1.jpg

Hey Ron your thread is helping me piece together what needs to be replaced in my 01 QX4, thanks! How difficult was it to replace the front CV's? Can you break down the steps?

Thanks!

Billy

Hey Ron your thread is helping me piece together what needs to be replaced in my 01 QX4, thanks! How difficult was it to replace the front CV's? Can you break down the steps?

Thanks!

Billy

Your welcome! And there is a lot more to do, lol. The CV's wasn't to bad. Here is what I used along with this forum->

IMG_0480.jpg

Timing belt/water pump is due also; that would be a party spoiler if it goes (I need to do it myself also;-)

Next on the list. I figure I'll try to do it myself. If I screw it up, well I don't want to think about that, lol.

How hard was it to replace the steering rack bushings? And where did you get yours from? Mine need replacing bad(sh!t moves an 1" to either side! scary when you turn the steering wheel and nothing happens!)!

Jose

They were the easiest thing I've done so far. I ended up getting them at the dealer, but at a slightly elevated price compared to online.

I will probably get the engine stuff at Pinnacle unless someone points me to a better place.

BTW I ended up replacing the whole control arms instead of pressing in new bushings.

I had to take a torch (mistake) to the bolts at the axle. I ended up cutting part of the

bracket off :headwall: . I then had to weld in a machine washer. I think the better

approach would have been to use a grinder :wacko:

Edited by RonNC

Thanks!

Billy

2WDs don't have front CV axles.

Im going to step in for Alex here and correct your spelling, its LYING

And secondly http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...22894&st=40

Stop defending the handicapped kid, he's a just like the rest of us and can look after himself. Or at least he will have to try and look after himself if he doesn't want to go nappy.

If I was in your shoes i wouldn't hesitate spending the money on her specially after serving you all these km without letting you down .

And she is good looking too , as the others said too spend a little more and have her lifted .

When i first did my OME lift i didn't think there was much of a difference , but then when i drove it offroad i felt the difference specially that i have no lockers .