3.0 to 3.3/4.0 engine

3.3 can be, but involves a good bit of work. Not sure about the 4.0, but the 4.5 V8 will bolt up to the t-case in our WDs, but the radiator will need some relocation.

Edited by GrimGreg

3.3 can be, but involves a good bit of work. Not sure about the 4.0, but the 4.5 V8 will bolt up to the tranny in our WDs, but the radiator will need some relocation.

Scuse my ignorance, but what is the 3.3 4.0 and 4.5 engines you refer to.

I am asking as my Diesel 2.7 is getting tired and might need replacing............

Scuse my ignorance, but what is the 3.3 4.0 and 4.5 engines you refer to.

I am asking as my Diesel 2.7 is getting tired and might need replacing............

3.3 is the VG33 (Comes in the R50 Terrano), just like the VG30 (3.0L) The 4.0 and 4.5 are the VH40 and VH45. I was looking at the V8, but they have coil packs on top of the engine and don't like getting wet. Also the $$ for the V8, fab work, cert and beffing up everything else......Would be cool though :aok:

See here for my thread on building a VG33....that I haven't yet finished :lol:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17624&hl=

I'd build a V8 diesel though....Hmmmmm

I didnt know they ever made a VH40, its more like the VQ40. They made a VH41 and a VH45, VK45, VK50, VK56. None of which will bolt up to any VG trans.Your best option for a huge power increase would be a VQ35 or a VQ40. I guarntee if you use a VQ35 out of an r50 and use the wd21 engine mounts it would be a very close bolt on. The drivetrain is about the same length as the vg drivetrain so you still have room for a fan, rad, accessories, ac condenser, etc..

They made a VH41 and a VH45, VK45, VK50, VK56. None of which will bolt up to any VG trans.

Yeah, I got my statement wrong, the T-case will bolt up to the tranny fitted on the VH.This is from an ongoing swap thread on the NOAS forum:

vh45de: Infinity all aluminum v-8 4.5L found in 94-03 m45 & q45. This is a popular swap for 240sx drift racers. Can be used in HB's & frontiers. Only offerd(US spec)with an auto. Have no fear, the tx-10 case will bolt up to the tranny! You will need engine ecm & harness, tranny ecm & harness. This combo weighs the same as vg33e & auto, good for around 290hp-275ft-lbs torque. With JDM ecm it can handle 100hp shots of nitrous (mudbogger anyone?)

3.3 is the VG33 (Comes in the R50 Terrano), just like the VG30 (3.0L) The 4.0 and 4.5 are the VH40 and VH45. I was looking at the V8, but they have coil packs on top of the engine and don't like getting wet. Also the $$ for the V8, fab work, cert and beffing up everything else......Would be cool though :aok:

See here for my thread on building a VG33....that I haven't yet finished :lol:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17624&hl=

I'd build a V8 diesel though....Hmmmmm

I tow my boat with my pathfinder, and I am in the process of buying a larger boat. I would like to have a little more power for towing. An engine swap might be overkill. What else can I do to this little rig to help low end power?

I tow my boat with my pathfinder, and I am in the process of buying a larger boat. I would like to have a little more power for towing. An engine swap might be overkill. What else can I do to this little rig to help low end power?

VG33 build or a small turbo setup would work fine.

What makes a 3.0 to a 3.3 swap difficult? I can get a donor xterra with a 3.3 that includes all the electronics. My truck has a 5-speed that I defenitely want to keep.

If you can get a full donor vehicle it will be easier. Basically the bitch of it is that some of the accesories are swapped around so you need to run different AC, power steering lines, etc.

I didnt know they ever made a VH40, its more like the VQ40. They made a VH41 and a VH45, VK45, VK50, VK56. None of which will bolt up to any VG trans.Your best option for a huge power increase would be a VQ35 or a VQ40. I guarntee if you use a VQ35 out of an r50 and use the wd21 engine mounts it would be a very close bolt on. The drivetrain is about the same length as the vg drivetrain so you still have room for a fan, rad, accessories, ac condenser, etc..

My bad :D Yeah VH41 :lol:

:headwall:

My bad :D Yeah VH41 :lol:

:headwall:

ok guys, I have found a low mileage 3.3 for a very decent price and I need some help. I need to know about bellhousing bolt patterns, what fits, what doesn't? I have also heard that you have to go into the harness for the instrument panel. Is this true? How big of a deal is that? I am getting all of the ecm stuff from the donor vehicle, Is there anything else I will need off of that rig for the swap? Is this swap really worthwhile, or is there an easier way to get some more towing power? I don't think I want to get into turbochargers, but a supercharger might not be out of the question if it won't cost an arm and a leg.

ok guys, I have found a low mileage 3.3 for a very decent price and I need some help. I need to know about bellhousing bolt patterns, what fits, what doesn't? I have also heard that you have to go into the harness for the instrument panel. Is this true? How big of a deal is that? I am getting all of the ecm stuff from the donor vehicle, Is there anything else I will need off of that rig for the swap? Is this swap really worthwhile, or is there an easier way to get some more towing power? I don't think I want to get into turbochargers, but a supercharger might not be out of the question if it won't cost an arm and a leg.

The bare block is the same as the VG30, so bell housing bolts up :aok:

You could just bolt your VG30 stuff on to the VG33 (Like what I'm SLOWLY doing at the moment :D

We're all here to help anyway :aok:

Good luck :beer:

Yeah the tx10 tcase will both up to the VH45DEs RE4R03A auto trans. You just need a custom output shaft and the adapter plate to go from the back of the automatic to the front of the tcase. Ive got a RE4R03A v8 4x4 trans with the tx10 sitting in my garage lol.

100_0241.jpg

That and the vh45 was going to go into my x, but then i didnt swap it and it all just sat, i sold the engines but still have that tranny, then i bought a VQ pathy a while after which has more then enough power so i dont even care anymore lol.

The bare block is the same as the VG30, so bell housing bolts up :aok:

You could just bolt your VG30 stuff on to the VG33 (Like what I'm SLOWLY doing at the moment :D

We're all here to help anyway :aok:

Good luck :beer:

So is there any truth to the fact that you must also go into the instument panel wiring harness? Is this swap really worth it? Is there an easier way to get the horses I need?

Also, are the 3.0 engines in a maxima the same as in my pathfinder? I was curious about the camshaft lift/duration. Do the maxima engines make more power?

Edited by ditchdiggerjcf

So is there any truth to the fact that you must also go into the instument panel wiring harness?

If you intend on bolting in the WHOLE engine (Accessories and all), maybe

Is this swap really worth it? Is there an easier way to get the horses I need?

Depends how much you want out of it. You could pick up a Supercharged VG33 or the manifolds and bolt that on the VG30 :shrug: Then you'd need to get an ECU that would run it.

Also, are the 3.0 engines in a maxima the same as in my pathfinder? I was curious about the camshaft lift/duration. Do the maxima engines make more power?

The basic engine, yes. It does differ in the intake and a few accessories. From memory they make like 10HP more, but that could be in the different intake or ECU, The Maxima ECU does NOT fit the Pathy. :aok:

If you intend on bolting in the WHOLE engine (Accessories and all), maybe

Depends how much you want out of it. You could pick up a Supercharged VG33 or the manifolds and bolt that on the VG30 :shrug: Then you'd need to get an ECU that would run it.

The basic engine, yes. It does differ in the intake and a few accessories. From memory they make like 10HP more, but that could be in the different intake or ECU, The Maxima ECU does NOT fit the Pathy. :aok:

Dude, I appreciate all your help with this. I know I am asking alot of questions. It is starting to seem like this swap will be alot of trouble for only a little bit of gain. How much power should I gain if I installed a CAI along with headers. The factory exhaust has seen better days, so I would also do away with it. The only other ways I can think of to add some horses would be to replace the camshafts(aftrmrkt manu?), or a programmer/chip. What do you think?

You can get your ECU reprogrammed (no chips available) and do your cams (there are a few manufacturers that make them for the VG series engines) and you'd gain a decent amount of power.

You can get your ECU reprogrammed (no chips available) and do your cams (there are a few manufacturers that make them for the VG series engines) and you'd gain a decent amount of power.

Who can reprogram my ecu? I don't know of anyone local. Can you still buy a programmer for these trucks? Who makes cams for my rig?

Edited by ditchdiggerjcf

There is a member (Indigent if I remember correctly) who's been playing around with flashing his ECU. Search for his thread.

Otherwise, JWT can flash them, and there's another....but it isn't cheap.