New from Toronto! Canada

SunnyTK

Hi everybody!

I just bought a 89 Pathfinder SE automatic, this is not my first car or my first Nissan. But, after reading the "what to look out for" post, I think I might have bought a lemon... it has 163,000KM on it, everything is original I belive... there is alot of rust spots on the body, the frame has no rust holes, but it has been undercoated a while back...

The only problems I have with the pathy, is that it has a high and fluxuating idle, between 1500 and 2500rpms. And if I put it in drive before its fully warmed up, it stalls. I think there is a vacuum leak coming from the front top of the manifold, but I cant hear or see exactly where its coming from. And I never dealt with a carborated engine before.

So far, I have had a bit of fun with it, and I have been qouted 200 to fix all of the body rust already, soo I hope to fix everything else which is wrong with my rig.

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

Edited by SunnyTK

Welcome to NPORA.

BTW, your truck isn't carburated. It's a Throttle Body Injection system. There are quite a few members here that have the same motor, and will be able to help you out. :aok:

Welcome!

To check for a vacuum leak - with the engine running use an acetelyne torch with just the acetelyne on NOT lit and move it around the areas you think have a vacuum leak. If the engine surges up in RPM, you have found the leak. A propane torch should work the same way I think. Do this in a ventilated area, but not in a windy area.

hello and welcome! you didn't buy a "lemon" you bought a pathfinder :) it just happens the older models have rust issues in the frames and a few other spots. it will still serve you well. keep an eye on the frame for rust. :aok:

Welcome to NPORA!!

The only problems I have with the pathy, is that it has a high and fluxuating idle, between 1500 and 2500rpms. And if I put it in drive before its fully warmed up, it stalls.

Vacuum leak, cold idle valve, etc. there are a few things/combinations it could be. There are some discussions right now in the garage that may relate. You are going to have to start testing things. Oh, WD-40 works for checking some vacuum leaks also, and is a bit safer than acetylene... :blink:

B

Welcome, another Canadian! There's a lot of info on this site that'll help you with just about anything imaginable.

you didn't buy a "lemon" you bought a pathfinder

That could soooooo be taken the wrong way :blink:

welcome. visually inspecting the frame for rust is good, but you should really tap on it with a hammer to see if there are any soft spots. I think the frame rotting problem was more common with the 90-95 models.