HID Projector Headlight conversion

01LE

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys think thats expensive ask Dean (if he'll even tell you) what he paid for his in NZ...

Let's just say that they are the most expensive mod I have ever done to my truck. More, in fact, than both of my ARB lockers and on-board air system combined!

It's a shame that the 96-99 headlamps are not clear, so this guy's HID conversion kit won't work. Projectors don't work all that well with patterned glass headlamp lenses.

Let's just say that they are the most expensive mod I have ever done to my truck. More, in fact, than both of my ARB lockers and on-board air system combined!

It's a shame that the 96-99 headlamps are not clear, so this guy's HID conversion kit won't work. Projectors don't work all that well with patterned glass headlamp lenses.

True enough... It'd be pretty pointless with the R50 early model headlights.

Would you mind my asking what you paid for the JDM headlights? I'm just wondering if it's similar to what I'm paying... :scratchhead:

True enough... It'd be pretty pointless with the R50 early model headlights.

Would you mind my asking what you paid for the JDM headlights? I'm just wondering if it's similar to what I'm paying... :scratchhead:

US$2000 was my cost at a junkyard in Auckland, NZ. That was the complete headlamp assembly, ballasts, wiring harnesses, etc. The only thing I had to do myself was figure out the headlamp leveling wiring and adapt a switch to operate it.

US$2000 was my cost at a junkyard in Auckland, NZ. That was the complete headlamp assembly, ballasts, wiring harnesses, etc. The only thing I had to do myself was figure out the headlamp leveling wiring and adapt a switch to operate it.

Good gods! :ohno01:

That's something fierce... I got $1200CAD+shipping quoted from a guy outta BC and still thought that was steep.

What amazes me is how far ahead of the pack you were with your truck. It's been years now, and we're still playing catchup to it. It truly is one of a kind, even still. The lights, the lockers, the dual battery setup, the transfer case. Your truck is a goldmine.

Pete

they're GE Q4509 bulbs (long-life version of the normal 4509). you'll need the housings to mount them.

So...with my '87, in order to install some of those aircraft lights I'd have to...?

So...with my '87, in order to install some of those aircraft lights I'd have to...?

they're a complete lamp assembly, and require the housing to mount them. they can not be used as direct headlamp replacements, so they need to be mounted like traditional fog/driving auxiliary lights - like Hella, PIAA, IPF, etc.

Yes. The JDM HID projector cutoff is higher on the left than on the right, which does tend to shine into oncoming traffic.

Each lamp has this horizontal cutoff pattern: -----\____

Fortunately, I can aim the headlights downward (using the motorized aiming mechanism) to mitigate this, but it would be nice if the cutoff were reversed: ____/-----

Can they be taped? I know in the Audi they've got a section that you tape over to cut out the Left bias flare. For when your driving around Europe :lol:

Just a thought :D

I've been keeping my eyes open for some HIDs, but DAMN :unsure:

Can they be taped? I know in the Audi they've got a section that you tape over to cut out the Left bias flare. For when your driving around Europe :lol:

Just a thought :D

I've been keeping my eyes open for some HIDs, but DAMN :unsure:

I bought the JDM HID headlamps at Max4x4, 48 Ben Lomond Crescent, Pakuranga, Manukau. The Nissan dealer in Auckland sent me over there. The HID set I got was pulled from an imported R50 that failed NZ safety inspections due to rust, so it was chopped up for parts. At the time, it was the only pair of HID lamps in the country. Knowing this would likely be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity I couldn't pass it up.

(We just added the cost of the headlamps into our "holiday" expenses; our NZ trip was 3 weeks: 6 days on the North Island, 14 days on the South Island.)

You should give them [Max4x4] a ring to see if they have anything for you.

couldnt you take something like this and modify it to fit? or even do the hard body grill and use that. I know these arent hid but i have them on my Z and they are really bright and i bet you could make them into a hid kit for pretty cheap. just cut the back out and fab a house for the light. If i had a little extra money i would almost try it. I saw hid bulbs and ballist for like 60 bucks so then thats a little over 100 probably all done and installed if u had a hard body conversion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-...bayphotohosting

what do u think? My buddy did something very simular to this with his saturn except he modified his original light housing since it was clear. came out great you would never know he didnt pay a ass load for them.

they're a complete lamp assembly, and require the housing to mount them. they can not be used as direct headlamp replacements, so they need to be mounted like traditional fog/driving auxiliary lights - like Hella, PIAA, IPF, etc.

Just what I was asking

Thanks

i installed HID lights to 99 pathfinder with ordinary headlight housing. No lens yet. It has very verh high intensity than incandescent 9004 bulbs but i lost high beams. HID bulbs has small halogen high beams on same die, but focal point is wrong so i installed seperate high beams inside front bumber where actually fog lamps sit. not is is little better.

I wish that i could make my own clear plastic headlight covers(like 99.5 has) and then i can install DIY lenses to use bixenon bulbs.

With enough time and money anything, in theory, can be done. But a clear headlight lens mod on a early model R50 seems a bit trivial to me compared to more practical mods.

For what's it worth, the JDM HID projectors seem to be a more realistic way to modify the headlights; the cost is really the only damper to consider.

It still grinds my gears to wonder why, despite having produced and sold so many, there are so few actual mods available for the R50 Terrano/Pathfinder... :thumbsdown: