wont rev over 2800

MY1PATH

The page posted above is the same as the one in the 89 W/D21 FSM, the only differences are the pictures and the code # listed. On the posted page it is Code 43, but in the 89 W/D21 FSM, it's code 51, otherwise the pages are the same.

But here is a scan from my FSM

CODE 51 Page EF & EC-121

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/4325/19...121code5vh8.gif

EDIT:

Another Page

CODE 51 Page EF & EC-120

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8841/19...120code5tx2.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these are easier to read! thanks, I think I'll show em to my mechanic cause I can't for the life of me find the problem in the circut. maybe hell have one of those testers you plug into the wire and it tells you where it breaks or stops when you run the other end over the outside of the wire.

did u try unpluging you coolant tempature sensor?

no, what would that do? IF you know something you think I should please enlighten me. It reads temps just fine and I aleady found problems with the injector circut, I just can't pinpoint them.

you should make a little list of what you have all tried so far
OK. HERE GOES, HOPE I GOT IT ALL

unplugged battery-reset ecu

disconnected O2 sensor

inspected O2 sensor (3 months old I think)

tested the injectors

traced the wirebundle back to the firewall looking for bad wires

tested the MAF

cleaned the MAF

Tested the TPS

Tested the CAS

took apart the CAS looking for foretgn objects

checked and topped off the oil

tested engine harnes for injectors

tested engine harness for MAF

tested engine harnesses for TPS

tested engine harnesses for CAS

ran ecu mode 4 & 5 for TPS MAF & Ignition

replaced fuel filter

ECU mode 3 eventually gave code 51 injector circut

tested ECU harnesses for continutity injector circuts 101, 102,114 failed

found melted wire under Pos.Batt termal boot & replaced all aged wires in that connector(4 total) problem not solved codes 51 and 101, 102, 114 are still bad.

re-set ecu one last time.... gave up and limped it to my mechanic.

Edited by MY1PATH

well yesterday I took it to my mechanic and today they said

"well we know allot of things that its not"

so I feel better about myself being stuck on it but worse @ the same time cause thats more time(my$$) they have to spend on it.

Yeah, I agree, that's not what I want to hear from my mechanic. On the other hand, I have been there before and the mechanic did his best, treated me well and didn't jerk me around. Oh course he was my neighbor also... :shrug:

B

well the mechaninc & I discussed a few things...

like having perfomace injectors on an old N/A motor of stock displacement and how a shorter duty cycle (to keep from running too rich) can increase the resistance(heat) in old wires.

and also how a 55,000v coil may be a little to hot (ignition transitor went out while they were trouble shooting the injecotr circut) and a step down to an MSD 40,000v coil (with MSD hi 6 box) in the near future is reccomended.

that does not mean we have difinitive results, we were just discussing possible causes of problems...

If I had to guess I'd say the stock coil was 28-30,000v on the spark side? anybody know for sure?

Edited by MY1PATH

I'd think doubling the voltage without changing other values would risk serious damage to the wiring system, would it not?

that may or may not be why the transitor went out, it is the spark voltage were talking about and muscle car guys but huge (bigger than mine)coils in all the time. I just chose what seemed like a basic low cost coil. armed with a little more knowledge I'm gonna chose a smaller one when I do my MSD down the road.

The mechanic replaced the transitor and continued running tests...

my python injectors are sending the wrong voltage back to the ECU, I am picking the vehicle up and I will put basic reman or used injectors back into it. He said he has no way of telling w/o new injectors but he hopes this wrong voltage did not cause permenant damage to the ECU.

so... Injectors... LOL *sigh*

Edited by MY1PATH

Just after I bought my truck I had a run of ongoing and steadily increasing problems... I tried a lot of things people suggested even though i had a gut feeling I knew what it was. Couple months later it was completely undrivable, I finally said screw it and ignored every ones "new idea's" (guess's). I went to the wrecking yard and bought a used ECU, replaced it and she fired right up and ran smooth :aok:

So yeah, it may be uncommon, but it's not unheard off ;)

I am no electrical engineer, but I think you could have a 100,00V coil without issue. The voltage output is specific to the resistance of the circuit. If it takes 20,000V to jump across a .040" spark plug gap, then only 20,000V is gonna go. Now if you increased that gap or had some other high resistance point in the circuit...the voltage goes up accordingly.

You mentioned in an earlier post abot getting Neihoff parts. Personally I will never ever buy them after having two dud fuel pumps (both died within one month after the 12 month warranty) and were blowing fuses along the way. Also les than impressed with ignition system components. You may have better luck than I though, I hope so anyway.

Keep us posted...

Edited by BowTied

I am no electrical engineer, but I think you could have a 100,00V coil without issue
In theroy yes but its not the high voltage side that had an issue it was the 12v.

The higer voltage coils put more load on the 12v side too, insde are 2 coils of wire arround a ferous bar. one is chaged with 12v and when it is discharged the engergy (elctrons) is tranferd to the other coil of a differant winding via the electron energy in the ferous bar which then generages the energy(voltage) for the spark. The voltage is determined by the differance in the 2 windings and the potential of the ferous bar. Differant windings, differant electrical load. HIGER elctrical load more demand on the ignition module/transitor.

the mechanic says 55,000 is too hot for stock electrical but fine for MSD (still gonna get the 40).

If anybody wants to run a hotter coil on stock ignition I recomend a stock 240zx or 300zx coil, Its hotter coil that runs on the same ignition modules/transitors as the wd21 pathfinders so it wont be too hot for the electrical sytem. and Its plug and pay!(same harnes)

Keep us posted...

well the mchanic pulled up a mechanics buliten off the internet about early nissan ecu's "code 51" was his search term I belive.

I'll post the article when I get off work but I think it said someting about injectors failing and the ecu being damaged from one injector fail causes it to damage future injectors. I'm sure the article details it better than I can but it seems that if I don't want to be in the habit of repacing injectors(this will be my 3rd pair) a re-man ecu is in order.

I know some of you have TBI ECU's you might sell but I'm gonna go the reman route because I think I need the California Specific ECU as my pathy is a CA emissions model not a federal emissions model.

again I'll try to get the article up to night.

here's the article that suggests my old ecu may be bad.

I did not know the injectors had to be tested cold(physically cold) and when tested properly their resistance was wrong. so they may have damaged the ecu which may lead to more problems.

th_ecueatsinjectors.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

here's the article that suggests my old ecu may be bad.

I did not know the injectors had to be tested cold(physically cold) and when tested properly their resistance was wrong. so they may have damaged the ecu which may lead to more problems.

th_ecueatsinjectors.jpg

it doesnt say that it will harm your new injectors it says it will harm a new ecu if you have a bad injector....

it doesnt say that it will harm your new injectors it says it will harm a new ecu if you have a bad injector....

your right but I think it kinda impies that it could happen the other way. I'm gonna do injectors firs and see what happens

i really doubt a bad ECU could harm an injector... didnt you say that you have a injector wire that wasnt testing out?

I did, but the mechannic showed me that I was testing the harness backwards(I tested 3 wrong wires), testing correctly revealed that the injectors were not returning the correct voltage. If injectors don't solve it ECU is my next step.

On the bright side while I'm waiting for my injectors I'm gonna install my e-fan.

I did, but the mechannic showed me that I was testing the harness backwards(I tested 3 wrong wires), testing correctly revealed that the injectors were not returning the correct voltage. If injectors don't solve it ECU is my next step.

On the bright side while I'm waiting for my injectors I'm gonna install my e-fan.

i have some stock injectors in a complete TBI... wanna buy it real cheap?

i have some stock injectors in a complete TBI... wanna buy it real cheap?

Thanks for the offer doughboy UNCC already sold me every thing from the manifold up. I installed the injectors today and oneday I'll get new ones for the extra TB (which will get polished, butterfly screws & shaft flush contoured and go on my future build).

INJECTORS SOLVED IT! after not running for a week, the fuel lines empty, the battery low form running other equipment(stereo, & tesing new E-fan) everything cold(snowing pretty hard and sticking) startup was pretty rough.

I let the injector circut run 3x tring to fill the lines & injectors B4 starting

@ first the stater would give half a crank and give up. after severlal attmepts I checked the battery12.1v still enough! &

termilals (didn't have it bolted so I fixed that)cranked long and hard several times and no start

then I remembered all the conditions working against me, cold thick oil not been run, new injecotors empty lines been sittin for a week.

OK TRY AGAIN

Cranked and w/ some pedal flutter it started but needed help to idle so I gased gently for a minute. good idle.

In the cold even with no fan it took while to warm up(wasn't gonna rev it cold) when it did I slowly took it up, when it hit 3krpm I punched it to 4k with joy! I lett it warm up more and then sat in it relishing in its reclaimed rpm freedom! RVVOOOORRRVOOOOOVROOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

I'll finsh all the wireing for the e-fan tomorrow and hopefully ther will still be snow so I can play!

I'm so happy now. I can't wait till tomorrow!

Edited by MY1PATH