Weird coincidence?

gregnash

So this Friday that wife and I were Xmas Tree hunting with my family when we had something weird happen to our pathy. Now it has been a great car since we bought it 3 yrs ago and had the transmission replaced. We have had little to no problems (other than the intermittent ones that are common with this year Pathy) and must say that we love the truck.

So here is what happened. We stopped at a little place that we always stop at every year to get lunch. I parked the pathy on a bit of an incline (only front wheels) and went about with lunch. However, when we left something strange happened, suddenly a number of lights came on on the dash. The A/T Oil temp, Battery and Brake lights all came on at the same time?!

So needless to say I knew that either the battery was dead or the alternator was gone from the battery light (after checking the cables). We ran on it for what was left of the day and got far enough to almost get home before the thing completely died. Next day I took the battery and had it tested and found that it was COMPLETELY dead and would not take a charge. Purchased a new battery hoping that would atleast fix the battery light problem but no go.

So my question is, do you think that the tranny is gone along with the alternator or does this sound like a problem with a short somewhere....?

Info:

1994 Pathfinder XE 4x4 v6

~180k

Second transmission (that we know of)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Your alternator is shot. That's common that the "christmas tree" lights up when that happens. It probably took out your battery when you drained it totally.

To keep your AT running for the long run, install an aftermarket tranny cooler AT LEAST rated for 10,000lbs. (I've got a 20K lb one) and bypass your stock transmission cooler in the rad. The stock cooler is known to be a major issue with the Auto transmissions on these trucks.

Thanks guys. I figured that the alternator was done but did not realize that it would light everything up. I read about the recommended transmission kit but cannot seem to find the link for it? Can someone supply that for me and seeing as I am not really setup or technical enough to tackle that I will probably have my mechanic take care of it for me.

Thanks again.

definantly the alternator. i had the exact same problem happen in my 300zx (both thez31 300zx and the wd21 pathfinder have the same vg30e engine) this summer. At first i thought my belts were junk because they did sqeak a bit but i replaced them and the lights were still on so i replaced the alternator and it worked great! good luck!

Thanks guys.... just dropped it off at the mechanics to have it taken care of.

Quick question does anyone else have heat from the exhaust come through the e-brake housing in the cab? Something weird that happens when the windows are cracked.

Also, I am sure that it is around here but I am assuming that another problem with the pathfinders is the rear hatch light switch tripping and the auto door locks not always working?

Also, I should look into an aftermarket tranny cooler (sorry thought I read something about a kit being available that bypassed the cooler or something to that sort). Is there a specific manufacturer or model that is recommended and is that something I can do or should I look at the mechanic to do that.

well, there are kits for the transmission but they aren't pathfinder specific.. there are several threads in here somehwere in here, discussing all the different options etc. pretty darn well.

the flickering light is the rear gate latch. there is info here somewhere about that but basically you just have to move the catch forward just a tad..

door locks.. well, could be a few different things too.. look in the garage section; there is stuff on this too.

Seems like it had keyless entry at one point or another but it currently does not. The locks will occassionally decide to not work (will not lock) but you can hear a servo somewhere trying to lock everything. This happens very randomly and will usually remedy itself after a few days. The master lock on the drivers panel clicks and plays like normal but nothing happens.

I have the same issue. Someone had keyless and remote start(not the factory one) at one point, and I guess they lost the remote so they cut the antenna off, but left everything else. If I unplug the box my locks don't work at all. I accidentally flicked the switch on it today, and it turned on my marker lights and waited ( to program a new remote i assume).

Try looking under your dash where the brake pedal is and behind the fuse box, you have to kinda stick your head under there, and look to see if someone had installed something and made a mess.

Edited by redfinder

Thanks for the info redfinder... I will definitely have to check that out when I get the truck back. Also, let me know how the "cupholder" mod goes.. :)

Will do, if i ever get around to it :D Some others have come up with great solutions. I wish I was lucky enough to have the SE console in my 95.

Here is the mess in mine. I feel your pain if it's the same...

IMG_0353.jpg

Yeah that's right, they didn't even mount it to anything. :ill:

Edited by redfinder

Thanks guys.... just dropped it off at the mechanics to have it taken care of.

it pains me to hear of anyone "dropping it off to be taken care of"

Quick question does anyone else have heat from the exhaust come through the e-brake housing in the cab? Something weird that happens when the windows are cracked.

yes. the area around the e-brake is not sealed well. You can pull the console and stuff and try to pack it with insulation but the bottom line is that the e-brake is a mechanical lever that needs a linkage going through the floor.

Also, I am sure that it is around here but I am assuming that another problem with the pathfinders is the rear hatch light switch tripping

latch problem. search and you will find solutions

and the auto door locks not always working?

I had to open the door panel and get int here wioth some spray silicone lubricant to loosen up the linkages. The mechanism that locks all the doors if you push the post down is the culprit. The post is not coming up fully due to tight or possibly broken linkages and it is triggering the lock mechanism (or just never fully unlocking)

Also, I should look into an aftermarket tranny cooler (sorry thought I read something about a kit being available that bypassed the cooler or something to that sort). Is there a specific manufacturer or model that is recommended and is that something I can do or should I look at the mechanic to do that.

It's easy to do yourself. measure the space in front of your radiator to check the thickness. Teh coolers just harpoon mount through the radiator and you run the hoses to the fittings where it would lead into the original radiator. You will need to run a jumper hose to connect the in and out ports of the in-rad cooler just to keep residual fluid from dripping out. A tranny shop should be able to do this for you as well. I can take pics of mine if you need.

it pains me to hear of anyone "dropping it off to be taken care of"

I understand and would like to take care of it myself but my lack of experience and the proper tools (let alone the time) make for it being a necessity to take it to the mechanic. Oh well maybe I will give the aftermarket tranny cooler a shot. I will start looking around for a write-up on that. New house with a garage makes me happy now that I can actually try to take care of these things. :crossedwires: