Lights on top?

MudFinder95

I'm mounting four 5", 55W halogen lights on my stock roof rack which may work out but I also need to know where to run my wires into the truck? I'm already running my CB cable through my drivers door which looks dumb. So have any of you done this roof rack lighting before?

I just bought 3 of these.

specs:

-6" round quartz halogen spot lights

-neon blue

-100watts each

questions:

1. Anyone know how bright they will be?

2. Can I use them in the winter time? since it says they become really hot after continuous use..

Thanks!

picturebd9.jpg

Edited by MudFinder95

I've used Hella's and cheap lights in the winter time and no issues...I think if you had hot lights and then dropped them in ice cold water they would bust...but I think they'll heat up slow enough and cool down slow enough to not bust the glass or anything but don't hold me to that...

I just balanced the 4 lights up there on top of the mounting base (which is why they stick up so high) what do you think? should I even put lights on my roof rack? would it look much better after the lift and mud tires are on you think???

picture007db2.jpg

picture006ec9.jpg

• 3 months later...

One thing you may want to take into consideration is the amount of light spray you're going to get through your sunroof. I had lights on my roof right at the front above the windshield and I couldn't see crap at night with them on because they shed so much light down onto the windshield.

yes.. i thought of that when reading though old posts you had mentioned that to somebody else... i plan on attaching them to the metal stock cross rail on the roof rack... i should be able to move it foward or back to adjust for that. Do you have a pic of where you drilled through your roof? :)

i have lights also on top of my roof, monted on a basket, when it is on, it lights up my hood. hahaha! so I have spray but not too bad, I have to extend the bar that attaches the light to the rack. Mudfinder's setup looks like a lot of spray to the sunroof and hood. night pics MUD!

Drilled the roof in the rear. I had them come through right where the passenger rear speaker is. I had power ran in the back for amps and decided that'd be the best place for me.

488277662_G8LwV-XL.jpg

488278237_2DNhK-XL.jpg

488278282_HfAfC-XL.jpg

Used a grommet then siliconed the hell of it. These pics are before I cleaned up the spaghetti wire mess.

I just finished the enitre install last night.

Edited by colbywan

Same here, no leaks.

Lol, funny thing is that I drilled mine after reading grims comments in another post saying he did and it hasn't leaked yet.

I stood there for quite some time with the drill in my hand contemplating shall I drill or not. I have to tell you it wasn't easy putting a drill to my perfectly good roof. I went over every other option but the amount of wires I needed up there it was the only way for me. So I drilled.

-Colby