I'm... a Godfather...

Kittamaru

A little backstory:

Back in high school I dated a girl for about a week. We both realized quickly that what we felt wasn't the kind of love that becomes a true relationship, but rather an almost kinship bond. We've been friends ever since and when she joined the Marines we had some problems keeping contact but we managed.

Fast foward... oh... 4 years?

She's married a marine who's both a fantastic man and going to be an amazing father. Aundre Lynn is the kind of man I look up to...

We've known the baby was due anytime... but last night she went to the hospital with contractions. Today, at 6 am, the labor itself started.

My fiance and I (yes, I'm engaged for those that didn't know) jumped out of bed, threw on normal clothes (our PJ's wouldn't suffice) and sped to the hospital.

As of 7:30am, this Thursday, November 12th, 2008... I am the Godfather (and my fiance the Godmother) of Samantha Marie Lynn, a beautiful, healthy baby girl.

I'm... stunned. I'm sitting here at work pretty much staring blankly at the screen. Granted, actually being there for the birth was a little awkward (even though I'm engaged I can't deny that she is an absolutely STUNNING woman and that Aundre is a lucky man) but... seeing the baby... knowing one day it'll be Nikki laying on the bed... *smiles slightly* I don't know what to say or what to do at this point. I'm just... so happy but also so nervous.

Any advice for a new godfather?

Advice....be there when needed. That's your job that comes with the honour. If the folks (usually later in life) have problems with her, maybe your fiance or yourself could try to help out. Sometimes an outsider can have more effect on a teen than their own parents.

Advice....be there when needed. That's your job that comes with the honour. If the folks (usually later in life) have problems with her, maybe your fiance or yourself could try to help out. Sometimes an outsider can have more effect on a teen than their own parents.

Agreed. be around when needed, I have a couple of my parents' friends who are "aunts and uncles" to me and I value some of there opinions over my parents sometimes...

Thats great to hear and even better that you are pumped about it, I hope that everyone involved is safe, healthy, and happy... :aok:

*nods* I know the big problem right now is her husband is deployed in iraq :(

See, you are starting already then...

Edited by laxman0324

Congratulations to all!

First off, don't worry about what you will need to do and when. It will be clear when you are needed.

Think back on all those in your past that provided guidance, stability, confidence, respect, honesty, or support when you needed it.

Then mimic them. Pay back all you've received - and then a little bit more.

It's pretty simple. Just love them unconditionally, and be there for them.

Well... that's kinda the thing mws...

My childhood was anything but guided, stable, supported... or any of that.

I was brought up to be mostly self sufficient because of my ADHD... I didn't work well in groups, didn't have ANY friends till... God, probably 7th grade (though I had one "girlfriend" before then if you'd call her that)... my father was (and still is) an alcoholic and a drunk... basicly, my grandparents were more my parents but even they could only be there so often...

I certainly don't intend to "pay back" what I've received... it wouldn't be fair to those who surround me now with a care and love I never expected to find.

As far as loving unconditionally... *smiles slightly* I've done that since the day she and I met and continued to do so the day we realized the love we shared was a bond of kinship, not one of comunnal love.

Congrats Kitt, All the advice has been spot on IMO. Just be there when you are needed and if possible be a part of their lives. I have godparents and thank goodness they were a part of our lives so I knew where they lived. I had a horrific motorcycle accident on my Honda Fatcat-50 minibike. Long story short I was a bloody mess and the guy I was riding with spent 30 minutes trying to find me. I guess I was knocked out. Anyway when my buddy finally found me we got on his bike and since I knew where my god parents lived and it wasnt too far he took me there where my godmother administered first aid until the ambulance showed up.