Welding Final Project

Kittamaru

You read right - I want to design, blueprint, and cut/weld my own skids and dif cover.

Looking for input/advice on this, especially when it comes to design and mounting.

Also, would 1/8 inch plate steel work for something like this? Would that be too heavy / flimsy? These aren't extreme off road skids... just enough for light wheeling and to keep the road-junk out of the bottom of my truck.

1/8 steel is pretty thick, and is stupid heavy.

That being said, it would be great for serious

armour but I think that gauge is pretty much

overkill. 4x4parts.com sells skids made of 3/16

steel but I have yet to hear any freeback on

them. I've got 10 gauge for my skid plate and it

has proven itself both in strength and weight time

and again (Black Panther is excellent).

A diff cover, as far as I've been told, is virtually

useless but it's totally your choice to go with

one or not. Again, 4x4parts.com has an entire

set available so take a look at theirs and see

what you can blueprint.

Best of luck with your armour project! :aok:

1/8" won't hold up to much. Most skidplates are 3/16" thick, and even those get warped like hell after a few good trips. You have to take into consideration the bends which add strength.

I had intended to "rib" the top side of it, welding small stripes of metal onto it to aid to it's rigidity.

Any idea on how I should start to blueprint this? No idea what skid plates look like... never seen them before to be honest :blush02::shrug:

Basically, 3 pieces for a WD21. Front skid, Engine/tranny skid, T-case skid. They should run from crossmember to crossmember and meet there (overlap)

If I was to change my BlackPanther skids, I would only change the center one, and have it extend all the way to the frame rails widthwise. That would protect my t-bars from rocks on the trail.

I'll have to look under the pathy when it's not pouring out, but I'm assuming there are mounting brakcets / holes we can use?

Some, especially for the front, if you just replace the stock "slash sheild" with something stronger, you can use the same mount points. For the others, you'll want to make some sort of U mount to bolt around a crossmember, or make a mount bracket to weld to the crossmember that the skid can bolt to.

Each crossmember has holes. The middle one for the rear of the 2nd plate, and front of the 3rd is a bolt-through spot. The rest are all pretapped holes that you simply bolt into.

Basically, 3 pieces for a WD21. Front skid, Engine/tranny skid, T-case skid. They should run from crossmember to crossmember and meet there (overlap)

If I was to change my BlackPanther skids, I would only change the center one, and have it extend all the way to the frame rails widthwise. That would protect my t-bars from rocks on the trail.

funny, i was talking to bender about that last weekend. We should just get some extra 'wings' cut and bent, then we could weld them onto the middle plate. I knicked one of my t-bars pretty good on the bobcaygeon trail over A.W. :ohmy:

If you're gonna make your own skids, i would find someone that has a brake-press. the slight bends really make a difference in how rigid they are. It would probably be less work than welding a bunch of ribs to the backside of the plate. You can see the 'x' pattern of bends in my middle plate here

2904951585_0e10b2a530.jpg

What's a break press o0; Lol, this is my first welding class, but I've excelled in it decently well so he's trusting me with the TIG and MIG machines should I need em, and I think I'd be better off on either stick or mig for welding something like this.

I dont' think fabricating skids would really require that much welding...it's more just cutting, bending, and drilling pieces of sheet metal. My BP skids don't have any welds on them at all...

Edited by Zibi

I'd need to fabricate brackets and such if I'm not mistaken, as well as the ribbing I want to do :)

The BP skids bolt onto the factory locations, except for the back of the second skid which has a custom cross bar that mounts to the stock nurf bar mounts. Either way, no welding.

I'm just saying, I'm sure you could find plenty of things to weld when making skid plates, it's just a welding project and I doubt your teacher is stupid. Awesome skids for your truck don't mean you'll get a good mark in your class because you didn't do what the project required.

Fab up a rear bumper for your pathy with a tire carrier and tow points. That'd be badass and require actual quality welding to hold solid. Or do sliders, just as important as skids and would require more than just cut, bend, bolt.

Edited by Zibi

Already have a good bumper and the tire carrier unfortunately.

Rock sliders... what kind of metal would i need for that?

See, problem is, I need to supply my own metal and my budget is... tight... is an understatement.