Pathfinder refuses to start

SC88Pathy

So this evening I tried to start the Pathfinder and it wouldn't run. It turned over, but refused to start. I could smell unburned gas from the exhaust, so I don't think it's the fuel pump.

I finally managed to get it to start by pumping the gas pedal while turning it over over a 10 minute period of time.

Any ideas on why the truck isn't starting?

Some more notes: it did this twice tonight, so I don't think it's just a one time thing. Once it started it ran just fine. Between the first time and second time it did this I got gas, so it isn't just low on gas.

flooding maybe? I had an injector take a dump, filled my TB and more, I pulled the fuel relay and turned it till it started. when it did start it ran for about 3 or 4 min on excess unburnt fuel in the manifold and such.

hi sc88-I'm sure you may have already seen my iginition switch post earlier. But that was my exact symptoms. I thought it was a bad ground, then a fuel pump or relay, or a fusible link....it was the iginition switch on mine.

hi sc88-I'm sure you may have already seen my iginition switch post earlier. But that was my exact symptoms. I thought it was a bad ground, then a fuel pump or relay, or a fusible link....it was the iginition switch on mine.

Actually I didn't see that post

Could you link me to it?

check your spark plugs, distrubtor cap, wires, and battery. idk something to check. Also see if anything is unpluged in the engine bay

Checked the cap, the plugs, and wires. All were on tight, so unless somethings wrong internally I don't think that's the cause.

Battery is brand spanking new, an Optima Red Top (which I'm really glad I decided to buy because it had no problem turning the engine over while I was trying to get the engine running)

I didn't notice anything unplugged last night, I'll check again today though

flooding maybe? I had an injector take a dump, filled my TB and more, I pulled the fuel relay and turned it till it started. when it did start it ran for about 3 or 4 min on excess unburnt fuel in the manifold and such.

Hmm this could be it, because I did smell strong gas fumes when I was turning the engine over

Checked the cap, the plugs, and wires. All were on tight, so unless somethings wrong internally I don't think that's the cause.

Battery is brand spanking new, an Optima Red Top (which I'm really glad I decided to buy because it had no problem turning the engine over while I was trying to get the engine running)

I didn't notice anything unplugged last night, I'll check again today though

ok well thats good it was worth a try it happened to me so i figured i would throw it out there! goodluck

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry341406

is the link. click on the picture and you'll see where mine was faulty. It'll take 10 minutes to pop off the plastic covers and peek at the ignition switch. Check to see if the black plastic piece on the switch is flush.

Actually I didn't see that post

Could you link me to it?

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry341406

is the link. click on the picture and you'll see where mine was faulty. It'll take 10 minutes to pop off the plastic covers and peek at the ignition switch. Check to see if the black plastic piece on the switch is flush.

Ah yes, that is common on a lot of older cars. My grandmas car had the same issue a few months ago.

Thanks for the link jgt. So that's part of the ignition, near the steering shaft, and I'v just got to remove the plastic around the steering shaft to get a look at it right?

OK this morning the Pathy started three times no problem. When I tried to start it tonight though it started ran for half a second and died then wouldn't start running again for a while. Same deal as last night, heavy smell of unburned fuel from the exhaust, pumped the throttle, and eventually it started to run. And even then it really didn't want to, not firing on all cylinders until I shut it down and started it again.

Your symptoms are indicating an ignition problem.

The injectors are firing, hence the gas smell. The running rough afterwords would be due to some of the plugs being wet from the flooding.

Definitely check the ignition switch.

Ok pulled the covers apart and looked at the ignition switch

The plastic end cap does wiggle a little bit, it's not tight. Is this the issue?

Also the plastic bit is brown not black...

That being said I got the car to start 5 times in a row no matter how I wiggled it while starting...

Edited by SC88Pathy

Well what I am doing right now is leaving the plastic steering column covers off, and holding the end cap down when it refuses to start :crossedwires:

I'll try tapping it with a screwdriver, although I think replacing the switch is the best idea. Especially since it's only like $30 from rock auto.