AC Lift or ARB locker

alexrex20

AC Lift or ARB locker  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which one??

• ARB rear locker
    • AC 2" lift

you can do more with a locker and good tire placement than you can with extra clearance

See, and I think the opposite... I think the times that a couple extra inches helped me out far out numbers the times a locker would have helped me out.

That said, I hear if you wheel Moab a locker is VERY handy... so what/where you wheel may make a difference too.

I would go for the lift first and put a LSD in the rear. At least you will be able to steer it and keep control. A locker only works when you have it engaged. The LSD may not provide as much traction but it is working for you all the time. It just depends on what sort of 4WD driving you do

I have found my Lokka front diff and rear LSD a good combination. Although the Lokka on one trip got to much traction and caused a steering tie rod to bend like a banana ( both front wheels pointing inwards)

Geoff

Edited by Geoff57

I voted for the Locker. Everybody is right though it really depends on teh type of wheeling you do. Personally I like trails with mud. A locker I believe can help out more depending on the trail. Plus you already have the compressor installed. Get the locker and save up for Lift and tires later.

another vote for locker

i had a locker in the patrol before lift

the locker would make other 4wd's with big lift and big tyres look rather drab.

however, knowing how to use it gives the confidence to try much harder stuff, then you will be wanting the lift! i know i sure did.

the good thing about the airlocker is its selectable. so you still get to try stuff unlocked, which gives you the chance to become a better 4wder.

Edited by sw

I'd say locker only 'cause you've got an open diff right now and nicknames like "1 wheel drive", "3 wheel drive" and "wrong wheel drive" come to mind.

Edited by MY1PATH

I voted for the lift. If the Pathy had more stock ground clearance, I would say get the locker. Having 3 wheels putting power to the ground doesn't help if the tires can't reach it because you're hung up on the chassis. How you drive and over what type of terrain you drive sorta affects which option makes the most sense for you. For the type of 'wheeling I do, the lift is far more useful. Few trails I run require the locker (and then only briefly), but all trails I run require a lift.

What kind of wheeling do you do? Got some pics of your favorite terrain?

Edited by XPLORx4

I voted lift.

Like XPLOR said, locker doesn't matter if you're high centered. Type of terrain around here at least tends to involve a lot more rock crawling than anything, and I would kill to have a few more inches under the front right now.

I agree with XLPOR (Dean) on this one. The stock ride height on the

R50 definitely leaves the off-road-going individual wanting more. Having

an extra few inches of clearance comes in handy just about anywhere.

I have yet to install a locker and haven't had any problems when I hit

the trails... yet, that is. I think having both would be a deadly combo.

I plan on installing a locker down the road but if I had to choose, the

lift is it :D

Edited by tekazgtr1984

My vote went for locker...If you can fit 31's stocks.....And have a locker in the rear...Thats all you should need for moderate wheeling without overdoing it...Then again if you need anything more than lsd or possi...then maybe you arent doing moderate wheeling??

For me, this was the first year i wheeled the pathfinder seriously. And i mean seriously. I've pummeled the poor girl trying to keep up with heavily modified jeeps and toyotas. Since i put the super swampers on, it seems like traction is rarely my issue. Clearance, clearance, clearance is always whats screwing me. Now with some momentum and all my armor, i tend to skid over alot of stuff, but man, i'm tearing my truck apart that way. Now i'd love a set of lockers, but i really need more space under me. I've yet to figure out how to do it without a SAS, and i'm not willing to spend the time and money to do that. I'll sell the pathfinder first and invest in something better matched to off roading. I'm trying to figure out how to sell my kidney so i can have the Defender 90 i've always dreamed of.