Gauges, I want them for my WD21

Precise1

Ok, now that I have a 'new' 95XE that is not terminally frame damaged like the one I have driven for the last 4 years, there are many things that I plan to upgrade/install/customize...

One of which items is what I mentioned is what I am used to having and feel is necessary. Oil pressure, volt meter, coolant temp gauges, not just idiot lights and a relative gauge. Do the SE or LE packages include this? Are they dash gauges or elsewhere? Is it feasible to retrofit into a XE or should I just go with an aftermarket unit?

Thanks for the input. :beer:

B

Oil pressure, volt meter, coolant temp gauges, not just idiot lights and a relative gauge.

AFAIK, only Nissan Patrol GR (Y60) had oil pressure gauge on dash. 1987-95 Pathfinders/Terrano's does not have this item. You'll need aftermarket unit (gauge with suitable pressure sender), if you want it.

Some old modifications of Pathfinder dashboards ("orange digits", probably 87..89 year) had a voltmeter. But this gauge disappeared on latest models. I think, installing another aftermarket unit is a easy way (especially because you have 95 Pathy with "round" dash, so old "square" gauges will not fit to your panel).

Coolant temp gauge is relative, but you can "DIY" calibrate it. Thermal transmitter resistance is 70-90 Ohm at 60 deg.C (140 deg.F) and 21-24 Ohm at 100C (212F). Take any suitable resistor with this resistance (100 Ohm 2 Watts variable resistor and ohmmeter/multimeter will be more handy), remove connector from transmitter, connect resistor between connector and ground and check/mark gauge needle position...

Thank you Sir!! The information on calibrating the coolant gauge is almost more than I know what to do with, but is valuable none the less. I think I had better just find an aftermarket 3 gauge cluster that is suitable.

Being a machinist is handy as I can made adapters, mounting hardware, etc...

It is a little disappointing as my old D720 pickup had the oil pressure and volt meter gauge from the factory; they told me enough to keep from breaking down or at least stopping where I chose. I don't see any less need for them these days... :shrug:

B

It is a little disappointing as my old D720 pickup had the oil pressure and volt meter gauge from the factory; they told me enough to keep from breaking down or at least stopping where I chose. I don't see any less need for them these days...

Yes, I agree. I love "large bright red lamp", which tells me "check all things, something is wrong". But where are gauges to check "what is wrong" without special service tools? In that case "red lamp" tells me "immediately stop and call authorised service", but not a "check all systems"...

But I disagree your opinion about coolant temp gauge. Had calibrated mine (and thermal transmitter) 2 yrs ago. I know which temp (+-5 deg.C) corresponds to any position of needle and don't have need for digits written at gauge scale. When I drive my rig, I don't read accurate values from gauges anyway - just a fleeting glance to dash to make sure that "all systems are nominal"... So, aftermarket coolant gauge is excess thing for me. I prefer "outer air temp" or other meter instead of one.

I agree with you, on both things but if I can set up a 3 gauge cluster almost as easy as a 2, hey, why not... :shrug:

You might give Equus a try.

Yep, that was one of the first ones that I found while searching...

I've thought about swapping my OE dash for one of these.

Those do look cool, but I'd rather save that kind of $ for a performance enhancement rather than visual. Headers or cool dash cluster? Easy choice for me... ;)

B

Crazy, I have a question for you...

If the vehicle's original temperature sending unit is used by the computer

for engine control functions, DO NOT REPLACE. Consult the dealer (or a

professional) to determine if the new sending unit can be installed in an

alternate location on the engine. If no suitable location is found, this gauge

is not suitable for your application.

Did your Sentra's ECU hook up to the temp sender unit? I'm sure the pathys do? What is the work around for this? Thanks.

B

Crazy, I have a question for you...

Did your Sentra's ECU hook up to the temp sender unit? I'm sure the pathys do? What is the work around for this? Thanks.

B

I believe so, but I never tested the theory. The gauge set comes w/ a separate thermocouple.

You either find a port in the block as recomended (great for V-8, bad for 4 cyl w/ shallow water jackets), or splice your rad hose. There are in-line kits available.

I went another route. I drilled and tapped the neck for the upper hose using a part taken from a GA16i.

Unfortunately, the forum w/ the write-up I posted is gone, so all I have left are a few CarDomain pics.

Now, I did scrap the oil pressure sensor and run the line for the mechanical gauge in its place.

I never had any problems out of it. However, you might want consider something like a T fitting so you can run both... Just to be sure.

Edited by crazyhayseed

Now, I did scrap the oil pressure sensor and run the line for the mechanical gauge in its place.

I never had any problems out of it. However, you might want consider something like a T fitting so you can run both... Just to be sure.

Agreed, that's exactly what I plan to do...

I think I answered my own question though. There are 2 sensors at the base of the upper radiator hose!! :D

I'm thinking that one is for the ECU and the other for the dash gauge; a quick look in my FSM when I get back from the store should tell me. I wonder if I can T that as well to keep both gauges and 'calibrate' the one in the dash... :shrug:

B

I wonder if I can T that as well to keep both gauges and 'calibrate' the one in the dash... :shrug:

B

I dunno. The thermocouple is pretty long. I don't know that it will fit in the stock position.

Piping for a T might be trouble.

I would recommend going to the parts store and looking at them before you buy so you can plan the installation.

Personally, a transmission temp gauge is higher on my priorities. That AT gets hot!

Oil pressure, volt meter, coolant temp gauges, not just idiot lights and a relative gauge. Do the SE or LE packages include this? Are they dash gauges or elsewhere? Is it feasible to retrofit into a XE or should I just go with an aftermarket unit?

My 87 SE has all three in the dash cluster stock.

Edited by jj big shoe

My 87 SE has all three in the dash cluster stock.

BASTARD!!! Lucky Bastard, that is... :)

My wife's former 94 D-21 had factory triple guages under the radio.

NICE!! I can get a set with sensors for <$50 though so I don't know if it is worth the trouble. Still, I may go to the local U-Pull-It next weekend and just be a scrounge rat... If nothing else, I can get enough bolts to pay for the entry fee. ;)

I dunno. The thermocouple is pretty long. I don't know that it will fit in the stock position.

Piping for a T might be trouble.

Good point... There seems to be a bit of room though and I can always make an angled/offset unit. I'll definitely ask about the length now!!

I took a hard look today, and I don't have much good room to put them it, so I may just go with separate 1" gauges and mount them below the radio. Only 1.7"- real estate there... Well, where to put the CB, I don't thing that was going to fit regardless.

B

I think I answered my own question though. There are 2 sensors at the base of the upper radiator hose!! :D

I'm thinking that one is for the ECU and the other for the dash gauge

Yes. The front sensor (with single-wire connection) is for dash, and the rear (two wires connection) - for ECU.

There is room in the 95. It just depends how much hacking you're willing to do and what kind of stereo you're using.

I wrestled w/ the CB idea for months before I came up w/ my current set-up. I wanted to use my full-size Galaxy radio, so mounting in the dash wasn't possible. So I removed the bottom air ducts (useless anyway IMO) and worked the plastic to fit.

Doing it this way left room in the dash for later. My plan was to swap the pocket for a scanner, but it would work just as well for a gauge cluster.

With a 1 DIN head unit and a hacksaw, you should be in business. Like so...

IMG_0711-1.jpg

Well, the PO installed the stereo where you have the yellow arrow pointed. Below it I have a bare strip about 1.7" tall and 7+ inches wide. Three 1" gauges would fit well with room for a few switches.

That seems like a good place for the CB and perhaps I can put the power inverter on the other side to balance things out... :D

B

Yes. The front sensor (with single-wire connection) is for dash, and the rear (two wires connection) - for ECU.

Thank you for the confirmation, the FSM was not clear on it. Or at least not where I looked... I may go with your calibration method for the temperature gauge though, I have to figure out how best to use the little room there is.

B

You could do the ol' ashtray delete.

shockguages.jpg

These are for the adjustable shock controller and measure 1 3/4" in diameter. You could prolly squeeze a third guage in where the lighter is. It'll take a bit of hacking since there's a metal bar on the trim above the ashtray, nothing a Dremmel can't handle, though. I used a scrap piece of plexi, painted the back and scuffed the front with a Scotch Brite pad so it wouldn't look too glossy.

I've been putting these voltmeters in most of my rigs:

http://www.datel.com/data/meters/20lcd-01-dcm.pdf

Tiny, extremely accurate, easy to mount and wire in.

Only downside is no back lighting, but exact voltage is not something I need to monitor constantly.

They do have lighted versions if you're willing to do more research and wiring:

http://store.cd4power.com/cgi-bin/cd4power...58/Catalog/1043

Edited by mws

I've been putting these voltmeters in most of my rigs:

http://www.datel.com/data/meters/20lcd-01-dcm.pdf

Tiny, extremely accurate, easy to mount and wire in.

Only downside is no back lighting, but exact voltage is not something I need to monitor constantly.

They do have lighted versions if you're willing to do more research and wiring:

http://store.cd4power.com/cgi-bin/cd4power...58/Catalog/1043

Wow! That's cool too! I dig the blue one.

Though, $60 is pretty steep for a voltmeter.

I never really thought about it when I bought my cheapo Sunpro gauge, but we might have some meters like this laying around the factory... :sssh: Maybe time for a store room raid.