e -brake

dell1973

hi all

have a 90 pathy and today i went to adjust my e- brake and there is no more adjustment to be have.the handel inside pulls all the way up and they don't hold at all.do i need new cables or is there some kind of a brake pad for the e- brake?

Edited by dell1973

hi all

have a 90 pathy and today i went to adjust my e- brake and there is no more adjustment to be have.the handel inside pulls all the way up and they don't hold at all.do i need new cables or is there some kind of a brake pad for the e- brake?

The parking break manually engages the rear break drum . When was the last time you changed your drum shoes?

You should probably look into a break job before replacing cables.

Check the FSM (BR 18-27) for more detailed instructions.

Depends on whether he has rear disc or drum. The drums are manually engaged by the cable, but if he has discs, then the rotor has a smaller drum inside it that is used for the parking brake....

After getting a break job, if it sitll don't work just take off the the aft cable going to the weels and have a shop trim it and crimp new ends on it. costs less than a new cable and won't stretch in 20 years (since it already has) so you won't have this problem again.

Depends on whether he has rear disc or drum. The drums are manually engaged by the cable, but if he has discs, then the rotor has a smaller drum inside it that is used for the parking brake....

OIC. I was wondering why the manual covered the drums twice. :togo:

<thread jack>

Well that's just silly. So much easier to have the cable lock the caliper. Maybe a swap is in order.

Such as it is, I haven't seen any need for disks on this truck. It really shouldn't go fast enough to warrant the upgrade from drums.

Which models came w/ disks anyhow?

</tread jack>

My 88 has 4wd and I think it is a SE. The shoes can be adjusted, as can the cable. If you want a lazy way out take the nut off the cable adjustment and space it out more with an old junk socket( no I didn't do it to mine, seen it done on a fiew different cars though and did work).

SE and LE I think with the sport power or convenience package, don't remember exactly, I didn't buy mine new :tongue:

These things came new!! I wish I'd known, I'd've bought one of those.

That's like trying to picture your mother as a little girl. Try as you might, she's always... "preowned".

My 88 has 4wd and I think it is a SE. The shoes can be adjusted, as can the cable. If you want a lazy way out take the nut off the cable adjustment and space it out more with an old junk socket( no I didn't do it to mine, seen it done on a fiew different cars though and did work).

HA! thats an Idea. Just don't use tradespro I have shattered like 5 of those crappy sockets 3 of them exploded while doing my friends headders and only one of them was under the force of a bar the rest were in a regular rachet.

These things came new!! I wish I'd known, I'd've bought one of those.

That's like trying to picture your mother as a little girl. Try as you might, she's always... "preowned".

I can picture my pathy new... I was 5 and it was dad's brand new truck!

Edited by MY1PATH

thanks

vinceE

Did we help you at all?

One of mine was built before I was in high school, the other was built after I graduated high school.

Glad to know I'm not alone on my trip to the retirement home. Smiley_wheelchair.gif