Rising up from the Ashes

Dowser

Dowser, may I give you a bit of advice? Good...

I purchased a 1991 XE from a Red Neck solely on looks before doing any research on Pathfinders. Ya thats right.... I'm a sucker for Dirty Rigs with Big Wheels......... Not until you get Formally aquanted the next morning do your REALLY see what you took home with you. blink.gif :barf: I later noticed a whole slew of other problems

Allow me to remind you of this and point out the truth of it.

I know you want a black Pathy with certain trim levels/options that has no rust. What I suggest is you either be VERY patient and ignore prices and distance from your local, or you don't worry about the color (unless it is lime green or some such nonsense) and find one that is low mileage mechanically sound, with the most important options that you want (no rust is a no brainer). Limiting yourself to one color cuts your options down incredibly so why buy something that is aged/worn or you have to rebuild when you could buy a mechanically sound vehicle (probably cheaper and closer) WHEN YOU CAN HAVE THE FRIGGIN THING REPAINTED!!!, hmm?

My point is that after you spent all the time and $ fixing up a worn, high mileage pathy, doesn't that equal the cost of a paint job? Go after the best low mileage/mechanically sound Pathy you can find that has a manual tranny and the other things you want, then have pigment applied. I'm sure you will be much happier in the long run.

I have just bought a stock 95 XE in the metalic biege silver color. It has 96k original miles, never been in an accident and the body/paint is in 95% condition. The interior is in very good shape and everything works. With in the last 15k miles the auto tranny has been rebuilt, new radiator, tranny cooler, brake pads, starter, battery, fuel filter, ball joints and the tires are 90% (too bad they are 235/75R15 but I plan to sell them). It has a decent aftermarket stereo (with remote), 2 key less entry remotes, cargo nets and a roof rack waiting to be installed. All I have to do soon is the timing belt (water pump, thermostat, etc) and it is a sound truck I'll have for a long time. Cost was $3,300, a good price for a running, non smashed car in Cali.

I detailed all that to point out, get yourself a low mileage WD21 in good shape, then make it look the way you want. To do it the other way around is much more difficult and fraught with grief.

Just trying to help... :beer:

B

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn it B!

Now how the hell am I supposed to make a 3rd Poor Pathfinder purchase with you stinking up all my options!

Sadly I know its true.... And your right. I know I've limited all my options with buying a black beauty, but do you have any idea what it costs to get a Professionally done Paint job on one of these beasts? I'm not talking a flat black spray can job either. I've been quated a couple thousand for 2 coats black 3 coats of clear. My thinking was, buy one black with reasonable mileage, Buy a fram rotted Pathy here in Canada with a running engine and Manual Trans for 500 bucks. Buy a centreforce clutch and swap in the Tranny in my Garage and and I'd have a Spare Parts pig and an Engine to build up a VG34 with.

Thats my THINKING anyway. I have a nice new double car Garage now that could fit 4 cars in if i don't put any work space in and a HUGE amount of room in the Attic portion to store all sorts of Nissan Parts and keep them out of sight. My only real problem now is TIME.... having this time sucker, (the 14 month old) makes for no time in the Garage at the present. And Im thinking then next 2 years will be the same since another one is arriving in Feb/March.

Needless to say. Your completely right on mechanically sound.

Alas my search continues for a Flawless Black 1995 Pathfinder with 1 mile on the Engine, running a Manual Trans with a perfectly Rust Free Frame and a Full Leather Interior with some shiny stuff on it that comes with a 5'6" 106lb Blond with D cup size with no STD's that agrees to do whatever I ask with no strings attached and give me her full paycheck so i can buy gifts for my wife so she wont bitch about how much money I want to spend on the "Flawless Black 1995 Pathfinder with 1 mile on the Engine, running a Manual Trans with a Perfectly Rust Free Frame and a Full Leather Interior with some shiny stuff on it" that i JUST purchased.

sigh...

LMAO, I'll agree with you about 3 hours after I fall asleep. Thanks for my next fantasy...

I've been quated a couple thousand for 2 coats black 3 coats of clear.

Ok, I didn't know it was that much, but still, that's not bad for something you can assume to drive for another 100k. Look at it this way. You don't/will not have the time to play as kid(s) are involved, so you need the best base possible. Lets say it is PERFECT mechanically. It has 100k on the clock. You buy it for $4000. You paint it for $2000. That's still less than a used Frontier crew cab that probably isn't the colouuuuur you want...

Lets face it, time is $. (Or kids). Or at least, that's the barrier I run into constantly.

Damn, I feel like I'm trying to sell you a car. Sheit, I have a 95XE, 130K MT for sale cheap that is slated for the JY. You may not want it due to the slight front frame damage. Perfect for SAS!!! Wait, you don't have the time....

See my point? I really think the best thing you can do in you position is get a solid runner then make it like you want it to look, not the other way around.

Still, best of luck on Blackie!! I'll keep my eyes peeled even though I'm 1/2 a continent away...

:beer:

(Shatterer of dreams)

B

• 2 weeks later...

LMAO are you serious? Holy Hell! If you find another pathy with those on them that someones trying to dump for like 500 let me know. I'll split the Pathy with you. I take the flares, you have the rest hahaha

LMAO are you serious? Holy Hell! If you find another pathy with those on them that someones trying to dump for like 500 let me know. I'll split the Pathy with you. I take the flares, you have the rest hahaha

:beer: I bought it for $850, but I wanna keep it :D

I'm looking at another, but it's not a "Widebody" :lol:

How's the hunt going?

Well my pickings are still fairly slim. I'm looking at this one currently and waiting for them to respond which they havent. I've left a few messages for them and nothing yet. I dont understand why people put things up for sale and then never get back to potential buyers. 21 hour away from me but if it has no rust and around 91000 miles, and everything is sound, I'll make the trip.

Alas.. still waiting though.

another

Well I finally got a hold of them. They've had the Pathfinder for only a year but they are the 2nd owners. They say they were planning on keeping it so they added the 31's and wheels on it but a Jeep JK landed in their laps so now they'd rather have that.

Asked about the timing bet and they didnt know, but they told me the previous owner told them he just finished putting 1600 into it, and they are trying to get me his number. The guy says it doesn't have a speck of rust on it anywhere. Body or Frame. The Tranny shifts smooth they say and doesn't lurch thru any gears. I dont really care about the Speedo issue since I'll be swapping a Cluster once it would be here to have everything reading like the REST OF THE WORLD, (metric) :rant2: Says the engine is smooth, no pings, or exhaust leaks. and the AC leak is not too big an issue in my books either. Its Winter now, and I have plans to do something with that and would have to reroute some lines anyway. So far so good. He's sending me Pictures tomorrow of the interior, and a few exterior photo's including the infamous Rear Wheel Well shot. I guess we'll see then.

:shrug: this could be the one. Still a freaking 21 hour drive hahaha Maybe I'll fly.

Edited by Dowser

Well he sent me the pics. and a lot of them too. He says he's 99% sure the timing belt was what was serviced right before they bought it But I still HATE to take peoples word for it if they arent 100% positive especially on that issue. Regardless the frame looks VERY clean in comparison to ANY i've seen up to this point. There is a small 2" - 3" circular area of surface rust that has started by the rear wheel well on both sides but its strictly surface and can be sanded and repainted. Interior looks good as well. Just sucks I cant hear it run or shift thru the gears before i head down there. I'm pleased with this one and am going to start pricing tickets. Still need to get the previous owners number to confirm service work. Anyway. here's some pics of what he sent. not the best quality in some of them.

post-1658-1227331275_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331281_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331294_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331310_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331317_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331324_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331336_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331358_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331387_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331391_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331397_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1227331405_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dowser

She looks real clean man. You know how mechanically bulletproof these things are. Maybe get him to send you a video of it running with sound, so you can hear the motor. That'd probably give you a good enough indication on whether or not she's worth the trip.

Priced flights from Buffalo to West Palm beach. found one for next week for $40.00 bucks before taxes and fees. haha Meh thats not too bad. mind you thats 1 way hahaha Still, Im pretty sure I'll be satisfied. Not much could be worse then the last Lemon I bought.

Well. Spoke with the guy again today. I found out a lot more which was nice. I told him that i understand that he wants to sell it but seeing how i'm coming from Ontario Canada and will have to fly there that I would like him to cut any kind of salesman bullsh!t out and tell me the honest truth about how it runs and how the tranny shifts. I said that if i fly out there and there's even one thing that he said was dishonest that I'll turn right around without a thought and head back home. He assures me it runs like a top. Really smooth shifts. He said "I feel so comfortable in it that Id honestly be willing to drive it to freaking Africa"

Africa? WTF?

Anyway. Other good news is,

1. He still has the factory wheels and tires and is putting them on so In case I do wish to purchase it that I wont wear the MT's down or have to hear them the whole trip.

2. The vehicle actually HAS a rear Tire Carrier but he took it off cause he liked the look better. Still has the spare and the factory cover. *yay*

3. Wanted it to be his beach toy so he added 5 coats of Wax to it. I sure as hell hate waxing so that was a nice minor perk.

So I told him tonight I'll send him a $100.00 bucks thru paypal as a sign of good faith to show my interest If he'll take it off the market until I get a chance to book a flight and check it out first hand. If I like it then it will go toward my offer, If I don't then he could keep half of it. He agreed without issues and also mentioned to me that he'd pick me up at the Airport if I'd like. So all in all I'm getting excited and nervous at the same time. Rachel thinks I'm a complete moron for doing this and 100% wants me to find something local and more economical. She gets all bent up when i try to even talk about it hahaha. Pfffft. what the F*** does she know driving around a 2006 Hyundia Tuscon with payments of 395.00 a month + insurance + gas for an AWD vehicle with 80000 kms after only 2 years. I'd have better chances breaking thru a brick wall 50' thick with my head then convince her this is a good thing. Anyway.

One thing I need to know though is I'm guessing it has no Daytime running lights since it's an American Nissan. Anyone have a picture of what the module looks like so I can pull one from the wrecker Cause I wont be able to pass a safety here in Canada without them and I hate unexpected surprises.

Edited by Dowser

I'll send him a $100.00 bucks thru paypal as a sign of good faith to show my interest If he'll take it off the market until I get a chance to book a flight and check it out first hand. If I like it then it will go toward my offer, If I don't then he could keep half of it.

LMAO Cheap ass Canadian...

Rachel thinks I'm a complete moron for doing this and 100% wants me to find something local

:whistle:

B

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks B!

I guess I'll give an update since it's been quite a bit of time since I posted here last. The one in Florida that I was looking at last month is still on the list. I've had a few complications of course. 1) I had to transfer my License from Alberta to Ontario and I did that 2 days before getting all the photo's from the guy. Once I decided I wanted to take the trip I paid him his 100. Bucks and then realized I'm not going anywhere without Picture ID.... had to wait for the new License to come into the mail. Which it did a few days ago. When I realized that I wouldnt be getting over the boarder without Picture ID I also remembered that If I'm going to Fly I better damn well have a Passport Since you American Bastards think Canadians want to sneak in to the U.S and live illegally for some strange reason. :rant2:

Ahem at any rate.

Waiting on the passport and I confirmed everything with Buddy in Florida. Its supposed to arrive before Christmas and I'm going to plan on heading there after christmas some time. Regardless of when I do it, I've found out Quite a bit of information about the importing Process and its not going to be fun.

I can do it a Easy way and a Hard way.

The Easy way consists of going to the Canadian side of the boarder and Importing the Car. I pay my fee's and taxes, blah blah and then Im finished. 30 minutes or so. BUT, If I wish to ever go back into the states with this vehicle and get pulled over for whatever reason they can impound my car cause it will still be in the American System as never having left the country. Has to do with the Canadian Boarder only Importing the vehicles.

To do it Properly I am to go to a Specific Boarder Crossing which is farther and out of the way, to Officially Export the Vehicle from the American Side, which has its own problems since they will take the American Plates from the vehicle leaving me with nothing to Cross the boarder with. (Thank you guys.) I will not be able to actually bring it over the boarder until 72 hours from the date they receive the Paperwork from the Purchase. So even if I fax them the paperwork from the guys house its only a 21 hour drive according to Google and at Worst its going to take me 2 days. So once I get to the boarder, I'll still be without plates to enter Canada and I'll be delayed at least a Day. That is just to properly Export the vehicle. Then I have to go to the Canadian side and Import it. which as I mentioned is no big deal so Long as I have Plates and insurance on it. And I can't get plates or registration of course without having it saftied and a RIV form that has to be filled out by Canadian Tire, (they have some deal with the Government and are the ONLY place that does them.) and all the rest of the crap that goes along with that. If you ask me that's a TON of hassle just to be able to go back into the very same country that's giving me such a hard time to get the vehicle out of.

At any rate

I managed to get a hold of some dealer plates that I'll be able to use once I arrive back on Canadian Soil. It's just a matter of waiting on the passport now. I'm pretty sure I'll be pleased with it and he's only asking 2500 with 91000 Miles on the engine.

You are welcome Bud.

Yikes, I hear you about the license (I'm waiting on my own from Kalifornika) but I had no idea of the import confusion. It is obviously set up to facilitate the low life Canadian scum auto thieves and not the honest citizen... Sounds like you have a handle on it though and I hope it works out as smooth as possible. The Florida truck seems like a better deal as it is closer, cheaper and lower milage (?). 91k miles on the engine, how much on the body? Rebuilt or replaced pusher?? :shrug:.

Anywho, just thought of you when I saw this one. Good luck with the deal... :beer:

B