starting problem

joeylea

OK so I've read some of the topics with starting issues - but still am gonna ask for advice :rolleyes:

I have a 94 pathy manual tran - I had my starter & interlock relay replaced not to long ago... it was perfect for a couple of months then it started doing again... the clicking sound - after a couple turns it will always turn over and all is fine... so i just delt with UNTIL recently I tried to start up and there was no clicking sound, light, radio, all worked... I thought it may have been my battery-I jumped it and it started right up - went to have battery & alternator checked both fine. Since it seemed okay I went on my merry way.... (sometimes she starts up like normal - and sometimes I get the clicking which I know it will eventually start up) - week later no clicking uGH! Seems like when its hot out is when it happens- So this morning I took it in for an oil change and told the mechanic to check it out... no word from him yet... I'm thinking its the cylinod switch and has a bad spot somewhere....

OK so I've read some of the topics with starting issues - but still am gonna ask for advice :rolleyes:

I have a 94 pathy manual tran - I had my starter & interlock relay replaced not to long ago... it was perfect for a couple of months then it started doing again... the clicking sound - after a couple turns it will always turn over and all is fine... so i just delt with UNTIL recently I tried to start up and there was no clicking sound, light, radio, all worked... I thought it may have been my battery-I jumped it and it started right up - went to have battery & alternator checked both fine. Since it seemed okay I went on my merry way.... (sometimes she starts up like normal - and sometimes I get the clicking which I know it will eventually start up) - week later no clicking uGH! Seems like when its hot out is when it happens- So this morning I took it in for an oil change and told the mechanic to check it out... no word from him yet... I'm thinking its the cylinod switch and has a bad spot somewhere....

If the battery is truly fine and the cables to the starter are fine, this most likely leaves you with the starter solenoid is going out and about to be KO'd. :thumbsdown:

I have often heard of the oil preassure sensor being loose and leaking oil on the starter. don't know if thats the problem but it is somthing to look into.

yeah, thats something to look at as well. The oil pressure sensors are prone to leak oil onto the starter and kill it over time. check to make sure yours isnt covered in oil, it is is, replace the oil pressure switch as well as the starter.

Don't jump to conclusions and start throwing money and parts at the truck. This could be several issues, so get yourself a circuit testor and go to work. It could be as simple as $5 for a simple digital testor, and another $5 for a length of wire and some connectors. Take a little time, grab a friend or a length of wire, and test everything in the starter circuit. Its easier than it sounds, especially if you have a book/manual. If you don't, we can hook you up. Let us know.

Hey guys thanks so much for your imput... mechanic seems to think its low voltage - he wants to add a boost from relay wired down to the starter to give extra voltage. (i hope im explaining it correctly - I'm just a girl :)

Another thing I want to share with you guys a couple months ago their was white smoke coming from the vents - I had no idea what it was and after 2 days it never happend again... well last night i was checking out my fuse box and I think i discoverd the source of the mysterious white smoke.. that i believe is the radio fuse - (my radio/cd is working fine though) check it out and PLEASE give my your advice on what the hell happened - and I'm wondering are those wires connected to those fuses and is there a relay missing up above their and what relays are those exactly?? thanks guys for your help!

fusebox2.jpg

fusebox.jpg

could be the wire/circuit from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. That has been a source of issue. Symptoms are inconsistent start but battery checks out fine. Replace starter and it still is intermittent. I've posted the diagnosis a few times as well as the solution. Try a search on 'starter' and my username. You might find some interesting reading.

oh... and WTF happened to that fuse???!!! holy crap!

"Just a girl" :rolleyes:

Yes, what was once a fuse is in the radio/airconditioner slot. Does the AC work? If you have an aftermarket radio, the installer could have patched into power elsewhere. If a unshielded power wire grounded that could have fried that fuse. It may have been defective and not blown as it should have, or perhaps some one put in a higher amp fuse (perhaps it was blowing). That should have been a 10 amp fuse...

I'd check to see if it still has current at both ends... (I can't tell if it's blown)

You are missing a 15 amp fuse in the seat/heat slot (bottom left)

I have no idea what the missing relay is, I don't have one either. It may be for something that a manual XE doesn't have/need.

I don't know why power is patched off of those two fuses, I have never seen that before... :shrug:

B