CUSTOM BUMPERS... design ideas

Slick

i am helping a friend who just bought a bumper company from a friend. It is currently mainly for Jeeps, and they are very popular bumpers in the midwest. Well, I am speshall (hehe) so he is flying out here this weekend to take dimensions and to design front & rear bumpers for WD's :jig: they will be better but cheaper than ARB's, and he can add little custom things to them for your desires.

What I am trying to do for him before his arrival is this..

1. WHAT do YOU want? what type of steel? (size/strength)

2. what do you want attached to the bumper? ie: holes for spot lights, added grille guards, winch mounts, d rings, hitch receivers, etc

3. what TYPE of design do you want? pre runner type (sloped/slanted) or square n tough?

4. on rear bumpers, what do you want? swing out tire carriers or just a sealed unit that you can use as an air tank? or just simplicity at it's best?

I could really do with feedback, and pics if anyone has a good, front shot of a Pathy minus their bumpers.......

We will be pulling King apart Monday to measure and make a template. the bumper he builds will be showcased at the Johnson Valley run in October.

If the price is right, how many of you would GENUINELY be interested in purchasing one? (they will be as strong if not stronger than ARB but less $$)

My feelers are out, HELP ME OUT PATHY LOVERS!!!!!!!!

thanks! :D

LMFAO K9, I was gonna add that... Simon has plans for one of those... we're gonna have to add a TP dispenser and a magazine rack to the swing arm.

*snort* rolmfao!

YES, they will DEFINITELY be cheaper (by $100-200) than ARB and similar. That is the point of him making these bumpers for US. The company primarily caters to Jeeps. and I have BEGGED him to make them for ours. so I am the west coast rep for him, and need feedback as to what the best design (what people want) for the bumpers so they will SELL. steel is expensive right now, so we are keeping that in mind on the design/size, while keeping the strength and integrity top notch, but price LOW as possible.

The only thing I would change on my ARB is that it'd be nice to have the hi-lift "T"s cut in it for jacking the front end up with.

Hmmm, what to put on bumpers.......

Well, for both front and rear......D-rings! One on each side I think would be great.

The rear bumper could be made without a swing carrier, if, there was a way to make some kind of support for the factory carrier.

Front and rear(well, more rear)......Hitch recievers!

I like mine the way it is... solid.

Must haves for me were: tire carrier, gas tank holder, hi lift mount, and recovery points (I have a hitch receiver, as well as two points for shackles)

I would like to have a light for the lic plate... and also a back up light for wheeling.

Other interesting ideas: bottle opener, step (to get to stuff on the roof), I've also seen ladders to go to the roof...

his current bumpers have the swing away carrier that fits up to 38" tires..... but we'll see what we can do.

fyi. more add on's, more price. d rings w8ill probably be made an x tra option as most peeps have the rings already and can have some welded on, but they will be std, or an option.

his friend has some cool stuff added to his runck, but i am not allowed to divulge at this time.....

his current bumpers have the swing away carrier that fits up to 38" tires..... but we'll see what we can do.

fyi. more add on's, more price. d rings w8ill probably be made an x tra option as most peeps have the rings already and can have some welded on, but they will be std, or an option.

his friend has some cool stuff added to his runck, but i am not allowed to divulge at this time.....

I already have my bumpers. But how about an option to make the bumpers an Air Tank. That would include a Interior finish to prevent rust, a PRV and a clean convenient spot for an air hose fitting.

Not that it's for my truck, but i have some observations.

Well, for steel, 3/16" is great, but 1/4" bent right would work well enough. Shackles are a huge plus. I like the T-slot idea of simons too. License plate light/bracket is a great one, I found out what a pita that one can be the hard way. Gas/highlift/tire carrier is really handy too, if you can maintain decent clearance. I wouldn't think it would be to hard to produce a model with a swing away, and one without. They can be produced as two totally separate components easily enough.

I jealous you guys have yet another option i don't for my R50 LOL. Good luck getting this done Slick. :aok:

I would like to see a full prerunner style bumper (instead of the add on that AC sells). I know that it doesn't have all the practical aspects that arb style bumpers have, but I have always liked how they look as long as they don't come up rediculously to high in the front, like some custom jobs I have seen. I like the idea of having d-rings and integrated blinkers up front.

Edited by OffroadFreak

This may sound picky but I would prefer R6 Titanium thick enough to be as strong as steel but much lighter and corrosion is not much of and isue. becuse of the cost I can settle for high grade steel.

pre runner styles look nice but I want more headlight protection maybe have some hoops arround the lights (they don't have to stick out as far a s the runner bar. mounting tabs for lights are always a plus (I think some pple love to go ligting crazy.)

a class 3 reciver, yes on the front too, to mount a reciever winch the reciver should be capable of hadning 3000lbs mininmum 4500 ideal for light trucks (d21's & wd21's) and 5000lbs+ for larger ones. the bumper should also have enough vertical strength to lift the vehicle via a HI-LIFT jack.

I like tube styles and recovery points. I like low profile but still durable and good ground clearance too of course.(I've seen some pathy guards the bolt on the bottom side of the the frame, where the hook is and they look like they hang down about 3"... don't like that)

I already have my bumpers. But how about an option to make the bumpers an Air Tank. That would include a Interior finish to prevent rust, a PRV and a clean convenient spot for an air hose fitting.

yes, we were discussing the air tank design. that will probably be a std on rear bumpers, possibly an option on fronts.

I jealous you guys have yet another option i don't for my R50 LOL. Good luck getting this done Slick. :aok:

we are looking into how much trouble it would be to use the same base bumper 9with add on ends) to accomodate the R-50 (THANKS PEZZY FOR THE PICS!!!)

Slick can you see if he'd be willing to make bumpers for R50's as well?

see above dear. i don't own an R-50, but we'd love to see them sporting Doug's bumpers also! :aok:

great idea's guys n gals!! keep em coming!