Front grill

g204life

I was wondering if there is anyone making custom grills for the pathfinder. I picked up a 4 wheel drive magazine a few weeks back and there were two brothers out of Cali (with pretty nice pathy's) they both had custom grills. No biggie just thought I would ask!

Edited by g204life

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I you search I beilve people have used the "phantom grill" of the older hardbodies. This requires switing to sealed beam lights or trimming the grille to fit the pathy lights. The pahtfinder 87-89 and the 90-95 are interchangeable and my 89s prolly gonna get a 90-95 here soon. Been running the fully coustom wire mesh and zip-tie grille for a bit lol

I just measured the spacing between the mounts in the front on my 91XE and it is 29". I guess any old grille guard that has that spacing would work. I have a hard time believing that the pathy is the only rig with 29" spacing. Even if there are no other grilles made that mount width, spacers would hold a grille on.

I am having a hard time finding out information about mount width spacing on grilles on the net. They all just say "Fits X year of Y model". Anyone know if there is a standard width for grille mounts? It would be cool if it were 30", because you could just fab up two half inch spacers and bolt the damned grille on.

indigent.

I just measured the spacing between the mounts in the front on my 91XE and it is 29". I guess any old grille guard that has that spacing would work. I have a hard time believing that the pathy is the only rig with 29" spacing. Even if there are no other grilles made that mount width, spacers would hold a grille on.

I am having a hard time finding out information about mount width spacing on grilles on the net. They all just say "Fits X year of Y model". Anyone know if there is a standard width for grille mounts? It would be cool if it were 30", because you could just fab up two half inch spacers and bolt the damned grille on.

indigent.

What is "standard" anyways? And are you talking about a grill guard (AKA brush guard, bull bar, 'roo bar, etc., outside/around/over the bumper), or an actual front end grill. Regardless, 29"=29", 30"=30", Nissan doesn't generally = Ford, Chevy doesn't = Toyota, etc.. "Fits X year of Y model" is pretty straight forward. :togo:

For a brush guard, nobody offers a swap-between kit or anything like that as far as I know. There are 2 routes: Either buy one that fits (yes, the options are pretty rare, but you can find some bolt-on ones on eBay and such or an OEM one in some junkyards). Or option #2... grab a torch/saw/welder and go to it, or hire somebody to tackle the task for you. :)

*by the way, if you're interested, the "brush guard" on mine is from a Land Rover Discovery. I bought it cheap after eyeballing it up to the Pathy, then figured the rest out. The current mounting is version 2.0 (shut up, Red & Packie, et al). ;)

Truck-justbecause.jpg

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I only ever saw one replacement, non-OEM style grill on the market for our trucks, and that hasn't been made since they made our trucks new. There were 2 people on AC's site that had them on their trucks, flip through the photo gallery I think at least one of them posted a pic.

The one I'm talking about..... There was an issue in a 4wheel drive magazine a couple months back. (ill get the issue for you guys when I get home later). There were two brothers out of Cali with billet style grills. Or actually bars running horizontal. Kind of like a Chevy grill.

What is "standard" anyways? And are you talking about a grill guard (AKA brush guard, bull bar, 'roo bar, etc., outside/around/over the bumper), or an actual front end grill. Regardless, 29"=29", 30"=30", Nissan doesn't generally = Ford, Chevy doesn't = Toyota, etc.. "Fits X year of Y model" is pretty straight forward. :togo:

For a brush guard, nobody offers a swap-between kit or anything like that as far as I know. There are 2 routes: Either buy one that fits (yes, the options are pretty rare, but you can find some bolt-on ones on eBay and such or an OEM one in some junkyards). Or option #2... grab a torch/saw/welder and go to it, or hire somebody to tackle the task for you. :)

*by the way, if you're interested, the "brush guard" on mine is from a Land Rover Discovery. I bought it cheap after eyeballing it up to the Pathy, then figured the rest out. The current mounting is version 2.0 (shut up, Red & Packie, et al). ;)

Truck-justbecause.jpg

Standard means just that, STANDARD. It is a word that conveys similarity among discussed items. And that was my question, IS there a standard.

I am talking about a grille guard, as stated.

"Fits X year of Y model" is straightforward, and I understand what it means, but the problem lies in the fact that I can't find one that says "Fits 1990 - 1995 Nissan Pathfinder".

I had a sweet grille guard on the Terrano I had in Japan, but I have no idea who made it. My pathy just looks naked without some junk in the front. :)

indigent.

ok, time to get really simple.

grille/ brush guard on ebay (chrome)

I will fit your pathy and its less than $200 (shipping included)

If you don't like chrome than

try this one Its black and tougher looking

for just under $300 (shipping included) your pathy can be less naked.

hope that helped

Edited by MY1PATH

The one I'm talking about..... There was an issue in a 4wheel drive magazine a couple months back. (ill get the issue for you guys when I get home later). There were two brothers out of Cali with billet style grills. Or actually bars running horizontal. Kind of like a Chevy grill.

They might have done a Hardbody headlight swap and are using the "phantom grill"...?

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=538

• 2 weeks later...
Yep that looks like it would be it. That's money!!!! I'll have to see what I would have to do to make the phantom fit my 95 pathy!

all ya gotta do is convert to hardbody headlights, the rest should be the same. funny I saw the opposide the other day; a hardbody with a 90-95 pathfinder grille and pathy headlights.

I like that one better, The pathfinder head light arent very bright, even with my HID's I would'nt want to cover them. And I was going to sand blast the chrome and paint it black anyways...

Edited by g204life

Standard means just that, STANDARD. It is a word that conveys similarity among discussed items. And that was my question, IS there a standard.

I am talking about a grille guard, as stated.

"Fits X year of Y model" is straightforward, and I understand what it means, but

I had a sweet grille guard on the Terrano I had in Japan, but I have no idea who made it. My pathy just looks naked without some junk in the front. :)

indigent.

No need for the smarta$$ approach, there IS NOT much of a "standard" available. "Conveying similarity" or otherwise. I'm glad that you understand that. My asnwer is NO, this is not a standard item. Hence my *friendly* reply. "Grille guard" is a generic term at best, usually used to refer to grill (grille) guard, brush guard, bull bar, 'roo bar, crash bar, etc.

"the problem lies in the fact that I can't find one that says "Fits 1990 - 1995 Nissan Pathfinder"." *heh* your problem is mutual, and is not new...

If you're of your soap box now, I'm trying to help here, and you're welcome. ;)

either way you have to do the d-12 Hardbody conversion and sealed beams.

That's not hard.

IMG_0075.jpg

This topic has been covered. The conversion is easy.

Any monkey w/ a 10mm socket and a set wire strippers can do it.

joshspathfinder039.jpg

I know, I didn't say it was hard, did I? I better check what you quoted again.

And to be correct you also need A flathead and phillips screwdriver(for grille and marker light removal) and a way of correctly splicing the sealed beam plugs into the Pathy wiring, unless you like to just twist stuff togher and tape it and call it perfect. Plus you need to know what all pieces to get off of the doner Hardbody. So before trying to make someone look dumb or inexperienced you should include all parts of the facts not a quick comment that is a little bit too general.

Edited by nunya

I think a few people on on this toppic are a little bit defensive. lets all remeber that the one of the reasons we are here is to learn and share knowledge. THat process slows down when you color it with defensiveness.

Having a bad day, not the first time today someone indirectly tried to make me sound dumb and it's not the first time today I had to defend my words. So I am sorry if I was at all rude or hurt anyones feelings. As for doeing a write up on it, I would if there was more of an interest than there seems to be in doeing the swap. If it is truely wanted I will get my camera out and do it again on my parts truck. Once again sorry to anybody offended by what I have said.