Rancho Vs KYB Struts

ronin152

It's not clear to me what you mean by "You could see the whole thing rolling round..." The whole thing [wheel] is supposed to roll around. That's what wheels do. Does the wheel wobble on the hub?

It's not clear to me what you mean by "You could see the whole thing rolling round..." The whole thing [wheel] is supposed to roll around. That's what wheels do. Does the wheel wobble on the hub?

Hehehe. Yes, I know it's meant to roll around. It's more the way it's rolling around. If you turn the steering wheel left on relatively level ground (parking lot, road), the right/passenger front tire will not be relatively flat/level to the ground. Instead, it will look like you have massive positive camber.

E.g., Instead of being turned to the left and looking like this on level ground:

[ | ] where the square parentheses/brackets are the hypothetical boundaries of the wheel well and the straight line is the tire itself if you were standing in front of the truck

it will look something like this

[\ ]

In fact the tire will essentially look a bit like what you'd expect if you were up on some rocks. It's turned to the left, just sticking out and "rolling" weirdly.

Perhaps this is the way the Ranchos were designed - provide all sorts of articulation under all circumstances - and it's just my inexperience/cluelessness. But I'm used to tires relatively staying level on, well, level ground. :shrug::unsure:

Edited by GoPathyGo

Aight, got em aligned correctly. Gonna do some plastic fender trimming this afternoon and see if that works

You need a camber kit. its for lifts but normal places don't sell them. i cant find one anywhere but ik what i need.

You need a camber kit. its for lifts but normal places don't sell them. i cant find one anywhere but ik what i need.

Actually this was WITH a set of camber bolts! The good news is that the KYBs + 3" BS + proper alignment seems to have solved the problem. The rubbing's gone - fender trimming eliminated the problem.

www.4x4parts.com has camber bolts. Mine came with my lift kit.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry to interrupt...but i'm planning also to put the ac lift coils and struts on my 2001 and since canada seems like a second planet when it's time to ship parts from the USA (Cost related $$) , I'm going to try to find local parts... since I never done anything like this before (but want to learn), I just don't know what I might also need when changing the front struts with the kyb... I mean I see from the picture of the strut that there is no boot...so I guess I can transfer the boot from the oem.... But KYB also have a kit : sm5329 sm5329.jpg

is this necessary to fit properly the strut or can all this be taken from the original ?? might sound obvious for some, but then again, like I said... never done this before...

by the way, the guy was not wrong...these are valid replacement for the OEM rear shocks...it's just that they don't work with the ac lift... see here :kyb-02.jpg

S.

OK, I'm replacing my strut mount, again, today. In this pic it shows that little sleeve thing. Does that have to slide on the shaft before it bolts to the mount?

OK, I'm replacing my strut mount, again, today. In this pic it shows that little sleeve thing. Does that have to slide on the shaft before it bolts to the mount?

I have on 03 Service Manual. Can send you copies of the suspension pages in pdf if you like. PM me your email address if interested. It's too big to post up on the site. Can email it as an attachment this evening,

Thanks,

Jaya.

Anybody using KYB GR-2 shocks on the rear? Found a set of GR-2 shocks and struts on ebay for $198 with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-4-GR-2-...alenotsupported

Have read good things about the GR-2 struts, but haven't seen many folks using their rear shocks. I assume they will be similar quality to the struts. Any feedback?